best/ safe tuner for a stock 6.0 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

best/ safe tuner for a stock 6.0

First off I would like to apologize if this has already been posted (which I'm almost sure it has) but my phone will not let me search the forums for some reason. Anyways what I'm looking at is getting a tuner for my 06 6.0 but my truck is completely stock as of right now. The last thing I want is something that will cause any engine, tranny or rearend issues with it all being stock. In the somewhat near future I am wanting to put an 8 in pro comp lift with 37's and an exhaust and intake to help it breathe. I have been looking at maybe getting an edge juice with attitude but I don't want to make a bad or uninformed decision. Thanks for any and all help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 03:20 PM
PSN Newb

Re: best/ safe tuner for a stock 6.0

Personally I would do a few of the reliability upgrades before I started throwing tunes on it. Thats what I did. Im running stock other than reliability stuff and a 5 inch exhaust. I went with sct and got custom tunes from drew at back road performance and love em. He takes into account what you've done to your truck and writes the tunes for your application. Great guy to work with.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

thanks for the input. what sort of reliability upgrades should I do?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 06:51 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

coolant filter!!! though getting a tuner that you can monitor engine data is real nice. can help decide if/when to work on oil cooler.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I will definitely get the coolant filter because I just replaced the egr cooler... anything else reasonably cheap like that?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 07:05 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

the blue spring (fuel pressure regulator) upgrade will help to save your injectors if the stock spring gets weak. the kit with the housing & gaskets is about $60...

6.4L banjo bolts are a cheap one. not as easy as the coolant filter & blue spring (especially if you have a dual alternator in the way)

else, perfect maintenance schedule on the oil, coolant, and all filters i s'pose

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

ok, where can I get the blue spring upgrade? also what is the 6.4L banjo bolt upgrade? and I only have a single alternator so hopefully its not too bad... I mean it can't be as bad as doing egr cooler and injectors lol
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 07:16 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

blue spring upgrade is available on amazon & performance diesel websites...
banjo bolts are the two bolts that fasten the fuel supply lines to the front of the blocks. the 6.4 blots allow more flow iirc
& lol i agree haha!

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

ok thank you so much. I really appreciate it. this is my first diesel and really my first modern vehicle... I'm used to workin on 70's f-100's and such lol
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 07:26 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

no prob! i started off with a 1983 4 cyl n/a diesel ranger. not a whole lot to it compared to modern chuggers lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode