Looking at a 04 6.0 - bulletproof options? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Hopeful for a Powerstroke

Send a message via Skype™ to beginningjockey
Looking at a 04 6.0 - bulletproof options?

Hi y'all,

Looking at a 2004 Ford F350 with a 6.0PSD. Far as I can tell right now it is all stock with 122K. Runs well too.

I do a lot of towing, and want to get all the 'fixes' done to it if I got it.

Doing some research there are TONS of tuners/people making tunes. Which one is a good one? I looked to see if TS made a 6-position chip like they did for the 7.3, but couldn't find one. Any good ones that have gauges in them? What about adjusting the transmission parameters to accomodate the extra power?

From my reading this is what seems I need to do:

Head studs (prolly ARP)
Ford OEM Headgaskets
EGR Delete
Updated oil cooler (?)
Updatded turbo drain pipe (?)
Change all fluids (WHICH coolant to use instead of Ford Gold coolant??)
What motor oil do you recommend to use? I use Rotella T6 5w40 in all my engines otherwise. Is it good enough? Or should I look at something like Amsoil?
Catalytic converter delete pipe/new exhaust (?)

Is there a good kit with all of the above? I'm not trying to go cheap but don't want to spend a fortune! Like I said I do a lot of towing so I want to have it running well and have decent power with good reliability. Not looking for extreme gains but it would be nice to have between 350-375HP, can the stock components such as injectors and turbo handle producing that much?

Thanks in advance!

1989 Ford F350 XLT Lariat - 460BBF V8 gasser, 328,600 miles and still running! Built Ford Tough in Canada!
1996 Dodge Ram F1500HD Custom, NO computers! Magnum 318 with 4bbl Edelbrock and Edelbrock Performer RPM Dual Plane intake, 5spd NV4500HD and 241DLD, too much more to list!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 06:24 AM
PSN Local

Re: Looking at a 04 6.0 - bulletproof options?

Sound like a good platform to me. There are plenty of custom tune options available. The shop I used recommended Innovative Diesel which I am pleased with. I run it on street tunes and the truck is stronger yet still gets same mpg's as stock. I tried the extreme street once and the truck turned into a beast so I put it back on street to save my 240k Trans. The custom tunes adjust the Trans parameters as far as I know. The magazines say with intake, exhaust and custom tune you should be in the 400's rwhp.

03 Excursion Ltd 4x4, ARP studs/HG, EGR deleted, K&N CAI, turbo back exhaust, 6.4L banjo bolts, blue spring, coolant filter, IDP tunes, SCT Livewire
07 F250 King Ranch 6.0L SB (for sale)
96 Regal 258 Commodore
08 Jayco 31 BHDS G2
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 09:25 AM
PSN Newb

First perf. related mod, Atlas40 Ficm. Egt gauge first, Get a Scangauge II from Bullet Proof Diesel, is already pre-programmed with all the parameters you want to watch with the 6.0. I did all the reliability mods on my 04 first, Full BPD Remote Oil Cooler /EGR delete, all updates, intake, exhaust,coolant filter, Atlas40 Tuned FICM, DC Power 190A alt. Is getting studded right now, Sinister Y-pipe and Reg. Fuel Return, BPD Water pump and '97 7.3 fan clutch / BPD adapter.
Have 4 custom Tunes from Vivian at Quick Tricks and Drew at Back Roads Perf. for my SCT X4 waiting when it gets out of the shop.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 04:11 PM
PSN Local

What does the 97 7.3L fan clutch improve?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT KingRanch View Post
First perf. related mod, Atlas40 Ficm. Egt gauge first, Get a Scangauge II from Bullet Proof Diesel, is already pre-programmed with all the parameters you want to watch with the 6.0. I did all the reliability mods on my 04 first, Full BPD Remote Oil Cooler /EGR delete, all updates, intake, exhaust,coolant filter, Atlas40 Tuned FICM, DC Power 190A alt. Is getting studded right now, Sinister Y-pipe and Reg. Fuel Return, BPD Water pump and '97 7.3 fan clutch / BPD adapter.
Have 4 custom Tunes from Vivian at Quick Tricks and Drew at Back Roads Perf. for my SCT X4 waiting when it gets out of the shop.

03 Excursion Ltd 4x4, ARP studs/HG, EGR deleted, K&N CAI, turbo back exhaust, 6.4L banjo bolts, blue spring, coolant filter, IDP tunes, SCT Livewire
07 F250 King Ranch 6.0L SB (for sale)
96 Regal 258 Commodore
08 Jayco 31 BHDS G2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode