BPD HD Oil Cooler Question / Clarification - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Addict

BPD HD Oil Cooler Question / Clarification

Ok.. I'm interested in the BPD HD kit. Does it completely delete the factory oil filter since it has a better micron spin on one? Also, heard continued issues of oil temps above 240 when towing heavy due to a lack of air over surface area of cooler. Any way to remote mount a larger cooler in the bed or against the framerail with an electric fan big enough to put EOT in a choke hold .. No matter what weight and OAT you torture it with ? Thanks for your wisdom in advance

2005 F250 CC SB SRW 4x4 Build Date 02/05 Diamond eye 4 in DP to a 5 in exhaust, SB Intake, SCT 3015, CTS Insight, Blue spring, Sinister Coolant Filter, CCV Mod, Harley Lights, 138k mi and counting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Addict

Re: BPD HD Oil Cooler Question / Clarification

Anybody ?

2005 F250 CC SB SRW 4x4 Build Date 02/05 Diamond eye 4 in DP to a 5 in exhaust, SB Intake, SCT 3015, CTS Insight, Blue spring, Sinister Coolant Filter, CCV Mod, Harley Lights, 138k mi and counting
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 08:20 PM
PSN Newb

Yes the BPD oil cooler system removes the old filter and uses the spin on. Yes temps can be an issue especially here in AZ... Get a 1997 7.3 diesel machanical fan clutch and BPD adapter and call it a day.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 09:22 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniper sniper View Post
Ok.. I'm interested in the BPD HD kit. Does it completely delete the factory oil filter since it has a better micron spin on one? Also, heard continued issues of oil temps above 240 when towing heavy due to a lack of air over surface area of cooler. Any way to remote mount a larger cooler in the bed or against the framerail with an electric fan big enough to put EOT in a choke hold .. No matter what weight and OAT you torture it with ? Thanks for your wisdom in advance
Great question!

We have two options for our kits: one that eliminates the factory oil filtration and uses the Bullet Proof Diesel oil filtration, (which is the one we highly recommend) or retains the OEM oil filtration.

We also have the fan clutch adapter that allows you to implement a 1997 7.3 fan clutch (mechanical) to your system.

​Questions? Comments? Please contact us!

Visit us @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Like" us on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

Follow us on
!

Sales: 888.967.6653

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Addict

Thanks for the input. Trying to put a larger remote mounted oil cooler with a fan in the bed would be impossible or overkill?

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 03:58 AM
'05 Excursion

Personally I think it's a bad idea due to the extended amount of time it would take your oil to fill and get up to pressure with all those extra feet of lines after being shutdown.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

SCT, no studs...yet, Dual OEM intake air filter housings, Banks intercooler & intake elbow, Banks exhaust syatem, Windrunner ported intake manifold, Bullet Proof Diesel remote oil cooler & thermostat, AirDog2 (plus a couple spares), Power steering filter (Amsoil dual-bypass), MagTec deep ATF pan, Electric oil pre-lub pump, Dakota Digital gauges.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Addict

That's true Term.... I've seen remote mounted oil and tranny coolers mounted in beds and on roll cages on rock crawlers and trophy trucks and didn't know if that same concept could be replicated with the BPD kit

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 04:00 PM
'05 Excursion

I think it would be ok if you had an oil accumulator that you could discharge before every startup or if you had an electric pre-luber like I have.

SCT, no studs...yet, Dual OEM intake air filter housings, Banks intercooler & intake elbow, Banks exhaust syatem, Windrunner ported intake manifold, Bullet Proof Diesel remote oil cooler & thermostat, AirDog2 (plus a couple spares), Power steering filter (Amsoil dual-bypass), MagTec deep ATF pan, Electric oil pre-lub pump, Dakota Digital gauges.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Term3 View Post
I think it would be ok if you had an oil accumulator that you could discharge before every startup or if you had an electric pre-luber like I have.

Where did you pickup your electric preluber ? What brand? And how exactly does it operate? I.E. Does it cycle on with your glow plugs or do you have it hard wired to a manual switch?

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 05:19 PM
'05 Excursion

BPD HD Oil Cooler Question / Clarification

I picked it up about 12 years ago, don't recall the manufacture. It has a controller that starts the pump as soon as the key is turned or I hit the remote start for the truck. I have it adjusted so when I use my remote start it runs until a few seconds after the truck is started. After the truck is shutdown it runs for three minutes, also adjustable. I use 1/2" stainless steel tubing connected in place of the drain plug as I didn't care for the supplied rubber hose. I also have a switch that I can turn it on which makes oil changes a standup job. :)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode