water method kit - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

water method kit

Does anyone run a water meth kit on their 6.0. Deciding on getting it but don't wanna cause any problems or much strain on parts that it can't handle. Any input would be great thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: water method kit

The title is supposed to be water methane not method.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 03:14 PM
fueled by Colecovision

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroke05 View Post
Does anyone run a water meth kit on their 6.0. Deciding on getting it but don't wanna cause any problems or much strain on parts that it can't handle. Any input would be great thanks.
water/methanol injection can be used to lower intake air temperatures (think of it as 'chemical intercooling')...or as a power adder.

be warned that high(er) concentrations of methanol can cause significant engine damage.

for reliability reasons, *we* don't run any methanol...straight H2O

since a diesel doesn't have any spark plugs...the combustion/explosive event in the cylinders is controlled by fuel injection timing...

since methanol is a fuel...which would be aspirated through the intake valves into the cylinder...there is no way to control when the combustion of that fuel occurs...

you'd essentially be trapping a fuel (methanol) in the cylinder after the intake valve closed...then the piston traveling up to TDC is squeeeezing the volume of that cylinder @ 17:1...

if the methanol begins to light off before the piston reaches TDC...you'll have a serious spike of cylinder pressure even before the fuel injector fires...which can lead to bent/broken connecting rods.

(straight)water on the other hand is generally benign...as long as you don't begin injecting the water until 11-12psi of boost pressure.

injecting water into the engine at low boost levels may not allow the liquid water to evaporate (cooling the intake charge), and similar engine damage can occur (from increased compression ratio/water volume taking up physical space in the piston bowl/cylinder)

depending on your application (larger fuel injectors? towing, race/sled pulling), we have put together a very nice kit using Cooling Mist components.

Custom high pressure water injection - Swamps Diesel Performance

but on an otherwise 'stock' vehicle...water injection should probably be well down your list of upgrades.

If you do run W/Meth *I*'d recommend no more than 10% methanol, to keep things reliable. There are far safer ways to add power than increasing methanol %.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 04:31 PM
PSN Local

Send a message via Yahoo to 1999F350

good info, thanks. I have run the Snow pre mixed stuff alone and -20* windshield washer fluid alone. do you know what the meth percentage is for the Snow pre mix and the -20 washer fluid? thanks.

1999.5 F350 XLT EXT CAB AUTO 4X4,K&N W/6037, DPF5,HIGH IDLE,80T,80E,120R,140BOOSTFOOLER,PHANTOM2 GAUGES BOOST,TRANS, EGT,CUSTOM 4R100 W/ JWVB,BILLET HARD PARTS,427LINE,RACERX PARTS,BD PAN,6.0 COOLER,DETROIT TRU TRAC,3.73,VAN TURBO W/ATS&HIFLO OUTLET,4" STRAIT PIPE,AFE INTAKE MAN,140V IDM,325/60/20 NITTOS,2.5"LEVELKIT,OPTIMA'S,PIONEER DVD/NAV
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 04:33 PM
fueled by Colecovision

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999F350 View Post
good info, thanks. I have run the Snow pre mixed stuff alone and -20* windshield washer fluid alone. do you know what the meth percentage is for the Snow pre mix and the -20 washer fluid? thanks.
I don't know...we don't run/recommend any methanol for the reasons above.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 04:47 PM
PSN Local

Send a message via Yahoo to 1999F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer View Post
ok, thanks for responding.

1999.5 F350 XLT EXT CAB AUTO 4X4,K&N W/6037, DPF5,HIGH IDLE,80T,80E,120R,140BOOSTFOOLER,PHANTOM2 GAUGES BOOST,TRANS, EGT,CUSTOM 4R100 W/ JWVB,BILLET HARD PARTS,427LINE,RACERX PARTS,BD PAN,6.0 COOLER,DETROIT TRU TRAC,3.73,VAN TURBO W/ATS&HIFLO OUTLET,4" STRAIT PIPE,AFE INTAKE MAN,140V IDM,325/60/20 NITTOS,2.5"LEVELKIT,OPTIMA'S,PIONEER DVD/NAV
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer View Post
Thanks for the info. Just would only be something to run now and then and at the track not all the time thing
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 02:21 AM
PSN Local

We run a 50/50 mixture and have seen no problems as yet. Have it set to come on at 12 psi. and use it strictly for towing on our 7.3. Have put on 20k miles so far. What concerns are there for long term engine wear?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 10:14 PM
PSN Local

I've had my kit on for about 20k and have been very pleased with it. There is both a noticeable bump in power as well as drop in egts depending on the % mix I'm running. My system is set to come on at 13 pounds of boost and I believe I'm running a 16gph nozzle but will have to double check. With just washer fluid (about 35% methanol) there is a small bump when it kicks on but egts climb much slower and will level out at about 1400 even with a load and at full throttle. (stock sticks, hot tune to both ficm and ecu, mtw stage 1 turbo) at a 50/50 mix there is a much bigger jump when it hits but of course much less of a drop in egts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode