Bump steer problem. Need advice from a dually Guru. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Bump steer problem. Need advice from a dually Guru.

I have a 06 f350 dually with a coils. And a 2.5 level kit. I just put 35" nitto 18 wheeler on and off road tires on. It was just aligned. I just put dual sabiluzers on .
Every time I hit rough road or a little bump, the rear end takes control and sways really bad. I'm not sure if it's the dually tires or it's the sway bars. Need some advice.

The dually tires are on and off road tires for 18 wheelers. If anyone is familiar with them let me know. 18 wheelers usually have a steer tire up front that has a different tread than the on and off road tires in the back. Idk if this is the problem. Or the fact the 06 f350 doesn't come with rear sway bars. Only fronts.

06 f350 white crew cab dually, 225/100 warrens, barder 68, BTS, Fuel lab setup built by tsd, sct tuned by tsd, ppe up pipes,bd exhaust manifolds, secret dual oil kit ,CTS monitor, a lot more extras

01 f350 red extended cab dually, powermax 38r, BTS, cfm, Afe, 6 inch danahoe, tsd 6 pos, a lot more extras.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 03:53 AM
Administrator

Re: Bump steer problem. Need advice from a dually Guru.

what Nitto's exactly

better pic than your Avatar?

problem was non existing before the tires ? and Alignment ?

sway bars are really designed to prevent lean around corners /load not much help for the little road issues

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I had the level kit for years. Until I got the 19.5s and 35.4" nitto ( m-608z) on and off road big rig tires, that's when the truck started it's problem. Got the alignment, did the dual stabilizers, new shocks. It got better after that but was still doing that awful sway. It use to vibrate over 65 before the alignment. After the alignment, it just did that rear end dually sway.

I have hellwig sway bars for the front and back. The front ones are 2.5 inches longer for the level kit. They aren't on yet.

And I have a drop track bar bracket. And I have the drop radius arm brackets. Which should change the caster. I'm just not sure which one is going to help and make it better? Or which one make it worse? Or will they not do anything??? I don't want to screw up and do the wrong one first ... Then have days and days to figure it out.

FYI I don't have steer tires in the front either. I'm not sure if I need these because it's a dually. They do it on big rigs. I just don't want to make the tread look different . I also got my tires true aligned. Where they shear the tires on a machine that gets them up to speed and cuts them to the curvature of the road. When they did the alignment they fixed all the seals that were out also.

The truck runs fine on good solid flat road . If it hits a little dip or rough spot in the road the whole
Truck shifts in the rear. It just has to be the smallest little bump or rough spot. It can just be the shoulder being a little rocky and throw me off. Especially if I'm tring to slow down on the shoulder and turn, it gets even worse. Than if I'm just driving straight and not slowing down.

06 f350 white crew cab dually, 225/100 warrens, barder 68, BTS, Fuel lab setup built by tsd, sct tuned by tsd, ppe up pipes,bd exhaust manifolds, secret dual oil kit ,CTS monitor, a lot more extras

01 f350 red extended cab dually, powermax 38r, BTS, cfm, Afe, 6 inch danahoe, tsd 6 pos, a lot more extras.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 03:21 PM
Administrator

well with a leveling kit I am not sure you need a drop track bar bracket ?
that is designed to recenter the front axle and normally accompanies a drop pit man arm.

the drop radius arms will affect caster so if your in spec now i don't think I would put them on.

what psi do you run those tires at ?? i heard 70 psi can make them smoother ?

they are a square looking tire I see others say they aren't great on rough roads because of the truck weight not being a lot for the (H rated?) tire design.

you spent a lot of time dialing the tires in if it were my truck i would double check the alignment or did they give you a print out of the results ?

the sway your getting ? after i confirmed alignment and rechecked for worn front end /steering gear slop i would be a little stumped I might try a stabilizer up front?

even though you state the rear feels like it is swaying i still think it's a result of the front end?

good luck I know this is frustrating i spent a lot of time and money with a new tire and rim combo from Discount even having them shaved in the end they said I bent the rims

the problem was from day 1 and they installed them it was a pain and i gave up an they sit in my back yard

I am sure yours isn't going to be so bad just letting you know I can relate

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmann View Post
well with a leveling kit I am not sure you need a drop track bar bracket ?
that is designed to recenter the front axle and normally accompanies a drop pit man arm.

the drop radius arms will affect caster so if your in spec now i don't think I would put them on.

what psi do you run those tires at ?? i heard 70 psi can make them smoother ?

they are a square looking tire I see others say they aren't great on rough roads because of the truck weight not being a lot for the (H rated?) tire design.

you spent a lot of time dialing the tires in if it were my truck i would double check the alignment or did they give you a print out of the results ?

the sway your getting ? after i confirmed alignment and rechecked for worn front end /steering gear slop i would be a little stumped I might try a stabilizer up front?

even though you state the rear feels like it is swaying i still think it's a result of the front end?

good luck I know this is frustrating i spent a lot of time and money with a new tire and rim combo from Discount even having them shaved in the end they said I bent the rims

the problem was from day 1 and they installed them it was a pain and i gave up an they sit in my back yard

I am sure yours isn't going to be so bad just letting you know I can relate
Yea man my truck came with the level kit from ready lift. I've seen them sell this drop track bar bracket with the 2.5 level kit. My truck never had it installed . Someone bought the cheap kit. They also have a kit that includes the drop pitman arm bracket to. So I purchased both of them. Both drop brackets just in case. They haven't been installed yet tho.

I put the nice bds dual stabilizers on the front . It helped a little. I took off the single factory upper stabilizer and it made it worse . So I put it back on and ordered a bilstein replacement for the factory stabilizer. That is not on the truck yet. I've heard the 05 and up have that steering box slop issue. I hope it's not that. It might. It has 350,000 miles.

That happend to me at discount they scratched my dually rockstars years ago. When they were popular lol. They told me they would replace the one they scratched , but never did. That was when they use to touch duallys. They don't even touch duallys now. Unless they are completely stock and no spacers or fat tires. I ended up for the past 4 years buying them and mounting tires and rims my self, because I have 2 duallys. This 06 and my 01.

My 01 with the leaf springs never had this problem ever. It has a 6 inch with. 35" tires. I've had that one forever . I love the coil springs they ride great and when they upgraded the brakes it made it a lot safer. But the leaf springs are a lot easier to deal with.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 06:13 PM
Administrator

to be honest i bought a Rancho stabilizer for the stock location and it was ok

but i went with the bilstein duals pulled the Rancho and then later put it back on for a total of 3 it's been like that for at least 60,000

all ford boxes are subject to excessive play IMHO I took 3 turns out of mine 65,000miles ago and it was a huge improvement

coils are great IMHO once you get them dialed in they are just as problem free as a leaf and are easier to fine tune ride height

I would still like to see the caster setting these trucks are a pain unless you get that dialed in

[IMG]They also have a kit that includes the drop pitman arm bracket[/IMG]

i think you mean it has the drop pitman arm ?

it would be nice if someone with these same overkill tires chimed in with their experience

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmann View Post
to be honest i bought a Rancho stabilizer for the stock location and it was ok

but i went with the bilstein duals pulled the Rancho and then later put it back on for a total of 3 it's been like that for at least 60,000

all ford boxes are subject to excessive play IMHO I took 3 turns out of mine 65,000miles ago and it was a huge improvement

coils are great IMHO once you get them dialed in they are just as problem free as a leaf and are easier to fine tune ride height

I would still like to see the caster setting these trucks are a pain unless you get that dialed in

[IMG]They also have a kit that includes the drop pitman arm bracket[/IMG]

i think you mean it has the drop pitman arm ?

it would be nice if someone with these same overkill tires chimed in with their experience
So you loosened it and it got better after 60,000 miles.

I'm ment a drop radius arm and drop track bar bracket . It's on the ready lift web site and leveling kits. This drops the radius arm in the rear under the drivers door and passenger. And the drop track bar bracket is under the drivers side . Under the intercooler and radiator .

Bd makes this caster adjustment kit. But it's a lot of work. . They recomend you weld it on.
The drop radius arm seems a lot easier, but not as accurate.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 08:58 PM
Administrator

no I tightened my steering box sector shaft play 3 full turns
I could turn my steering wheel quite a bit before the pitman arm would move at all

now it's fine this is common on our trucks for some reason

i am familiar with all those options even the BD kit
i guess you either need them or don't like if the caster is in spec you don't need the BD or radius drop

the trac bar drop I wouldn't do without the pitman drop and on a level kit I wouldn't do either IMO

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

So you would check out the steering box? First ?

Oh ok so you tightend it. What if the splines are messed up? Tightening won't help?
Mine probably needs a lot of tightening it's got over that many miles. It probably needed to be tightend over 10 times. Where is it located?

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 05:24 PM
PSN Veteran

Bump steer is caused from the drag link movinging a different arch than the track bar...normally happens using a drop pitman bracket without a equally dropped Pitman arm. You want them both parallel to each other.

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Full Force, Tymar, BTS, Icon, Pure Performance, TW tunes, just to name a few.

email:

Introduction only. Please email if I can help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode