6.0L first's? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

6.0L first's?

Hi all, I am brand new to the Diesel scene but love my truck already. It has a aftermarket intake and dual exhaust.
So after alot of reading through the internet I have seen a ton of ideas of things to add and do. I HATE the horrible turbo lag from the line and want to address that soon, i feel like a sitting duck pulling into traffic sometimes.
So my thoughts are SCT Sf3 and a CTS monitor, what gauges should I monitor the most?
Also going to install a coolant filter myself.
Should I also do a new oil cooler? I know nothing about them just see alot of people doing it.
EGR delete?

What are the main things you would suggest?

Thanks for all you help.
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 02:06 AM
Big dumb redneck

Garage
Re: 6.0L first's?

Horrible lag probably means the turbo could use a good cleaning. If you don't have to pass emissions, EGR delete definitely. Oil cooler...need a way to monitor your oil/coolant temps (ECT/EOT) to see if your cooler is clogged. That's why you see so many people doing oil coolers...it's not a performance upgrade...the 6.0 likes eating coolers (currently installing my 3rd one on my 05).

Blue spring kit... It's an upgraded spring for your fuel pressure regulator. The spring itself is blue, hence the name. Factory springs are weak and over time, cause your fuel pressure to drop. Low pressure long enough, and you'll be investing in new injectors. Another cheap upgraded part that's worth doing ($65 from Ford). Stay on top of your maintenance, only use Motorcraft filters (oil and fuel), gauges are a wise investment popular ones are boost, pyro, trans temp, but a fuel pressure gauge is a good addition. Stay away from generic tuners (bully dog, edge, banks, etc)... I could go on and on, but these are the basics.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 03:07 AM
PSN Veteran

Buy a 7.3

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 03:35 AM
PSN Local

Sct and CTS sound good to me. That's what I have and it runs fine, you just have to download all the other sensors . It comes with the basics like coolant temp, but you need to install and download a fuel pressure gauge.

06 f350 white crew cab dually, 225/100 warrens, barder 68, BTS, Fuel lab setup built by tsd, sct tuned by tsd, ppe up pipes,bd exhaust manifolds, secret dual oil kit ,CTS monitor, a lot more extras

01 f350 red extended cab dually, powermax 38r, BTS, cfm, Afe, 6 inch danahoe, tsd 6 pos, a lot more extras.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 10:38 AM
PSN Newb

Welcome to the Diesel life .
If you dont have emissions to worry about I would definately do your EGR Delete.
As for the Gauges I monitor ECT/EOT (Engine coolant temp, and engine oil temp) Fuel pressure, and EGT.
Once you get all your gauges down you should be able to tell if you need to replace your cooler judging by your deltas

03 f250 six.0
4" turbo back straight pipe,Banks triple disc converter, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjo , MTW Stage 2, Warren 155cc, sct tuner with vivian's looney tune

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for the advice fellas. I do have emissions here in Wa so I guess that EGR delete is out of the question.

I am ordering the coolant filter kit this week along with the SCT and CTS. Also gonna do a oil change along with the fuel filter this week. From there I will decide on the oil cooler. If the tuner doesnt help with the Turbo lag i will take it in and have the turbo cleaned or looked at.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 02:24 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokin2004 View Post
Thanks for the advice fellas. I do have emissions here in Wa so I guess that EGR delete is out of the question.

I am ordering the coolant filter kit this week along with the SCT and CTS. Also gonna do a oil change along with the fuel filter this week. From there I will decide on the oil cooler. If the tuner doesnt help with the Turbo lag i will take it in and have the turbo cleaned or looked at.
Get a powermax if you need a new turbo and have little money to spend. A powermax is the same price as a stock turbo and works way better. Mine had no lag. And then in the future you can up grade that powermax. A lot of people custom upgrade them to work with big injectors. That's what I did.

And coolant filters are worth it. Great investment. I might have one I'm taking off my truck a sinister one. I got a new one to match my polished parts under my truck. The sinister one is all blue and is out of place with the polished goods.

06 f350 white crew cab dually, 225/100 warrens, barder 68, BTS, Fuel lab setup built by tsd, sct tuned by tsd, ppe up pipes,bd exhaust manifolds, secret dual oil kit ,CTS monitor, a lot more extras

01 f350 red extended cab dually, powermax 38r, BTS, cfm, Afe, 6 inch danahoe, tsd 6 pos, a lot more extras.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for the tip on the Powermax....The sinister coolant filter is the one I was looking at getting, it comes with 3 filters for $148 free shipping.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 05:56 AM
PSN Local

I think mine only came with one filter, but they are cheap.

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 11:10 AM
Swamp trash...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roenicke95stroker View Post
Buy a 7.3
Great... Buy an old, slow antique dog turd.... Great advice.

Chris. 06 LBCC XL 4×4

Studded and deleted
Oringed heads
S2 turbo
190/30 injectors
ported intake
amsoil bypass
PHP gryphon
SCT X3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode