ideal upgrades to a stock 6.0?? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

ideal upgrades to a stock 6.0??

buying my first 6.0 this upcoming week and don't know a whole lot about what upgrades I should look into first. its an 05 and totally stock. I don't plan to build this into a sled puller but I would like to do some little mods to help it out (exhaust, tuner, egr delete maybe)
any ideas for what I should do first that wont break my bank and will be healthy for me new truck??
thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 12:56 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: ideal upgrades to a stock 6.0??

The one that I always like to suggest is a coolant filter. Can be done at any time and not expensive.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 03:04 AM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

Whs^^^

EGR delete is wise as well, as are gauges to keep an eye on things.

On the flip side, if you have the funds, do everything right from the start and never have to worry about it again.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speedSD View Post
Whs^^^

EGR delete is wise as well, as are gauges to keep an eye on things.

On the flip side, if you have the funds, do everything right from the start and never have to worry about it again.
how complicated is the egr delete? I plan on getting a 4inch straight pipe basically right away. would that be something I can do myself while I put in the new exhaust?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 11:51 AM
PSN Newb

Before doing a egr delete you should see what your oil/coolant temp spread is. Might need to replace oil cooler and it's easier if you're already doing a egr delete. You need a monitor or gauges to see the spread. You also need a gauge to check fuel pressure and whether to do blue spring upgrade to regulator.

Bottom line is get some way to monitor what's going on in engine before doing any upgrades. Cheapest way would be using torque app on your android phone if you have one.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 03:20 PM
PSN Newb

Coolent filter, fuel spring upgrade, egr delete. The coolent filter expect to change it every 3-4 months the first year. I cut mine open after each change and that would determine the next interval. I should of taken pics to show you guys how much carp the filter pulls out.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 02:22 PM
PursuitInterceptor

Buy my 2006 and just enjoy the ride.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people my friend....those with loaded guns, and those who dig.

You dig.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
Buy my 2006 and just enjoy the ride.
Haha sorry man I already bought this 05. Hopefully I'll get a picture up soon. But I'm questioning whether or not I want to go through with the EGR delete, iv been told a couple times now that doing that will turn on my check engine light? And it won't pass emissions? Also, what chip/tuner runs the best for these 6.0's?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_Marshal View Post
Coolent filter, fuel spring upgrade, egr delete. The coolent filter expect to change it every 3-4 months the first year. I cut mine open after each change and that would determine the next interval. I should of taken pics to show you guys how much carp the filter pulls out.
I haven't done any research into that coolant filter yet, is it an aftermarket filter that I can add in or a replacement one that everyone forgets about? Sorry to be a newb here iv just never even bothered to learn anything about the 6liter.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 08:47 PM
PSN Local

If your emissions allow the delete, CAI, turbo back exhaust with a tune will give a nice boost in power, efficiency and lower EGR's. I studded mines so am running Innovative Diesel's street tune and can knock down 22 mpg on highway yet it pulls MUCH stronger than stock.
Don't forget coolant check or flush, FICM voltage, batteries voltage/condition, blue spring mod and upgraded oil cooler.

03 Excursion Ltd 4x4, ARP studs/HG, EGR deleted, K&N CAI, turbo back exhaust, 6.4L banjo bolts, blue spring, coolant filter, IDP tunes, SCT Livewire
07 F250 King Ranch 6.0L SB (for sale)
96 Regal 258 Commodore
08 Jayco 31 BHDS G2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode