Tranny guys, your input pls - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Tranny guys, your input pls

I am fairly uninformed when it comes to transmission so pls bear with me.

I am going to be doing a build very soon (just need to buy tunining at this point) on my truck. It includes the usual without going over board (including ported intake manifold, studding, ecu/ficm tuning, etc.)

While I am at it, should I upgrade my stock torque converter? Is it a good idea?

I don't know much about the stock converter or the variables that should go in to play here... but how many discs does the stock one have? Is it billeted? How many studs? Don't these things come in to play with a moded truck? After all, I am going to be producing a lot more torque when it's all said and done.

I guess I am concerned about slippage and atf temps...it has about 150xxx miles / 248xxx kms.

And just one more thing.... are there performance improvements to be had if I did upgrade? After all, it's all about putting the power to the rubber and if I can make that process more efficient, wouldn't I basically have a better truck all round with performance and fuel economy?

Thanks again,

-h
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 01:17 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Tranny guys, your input pls

I do recommend a good converter. The stock one is triple disc, no billet.

Tuning plays a MAJOR role on how long these transmissions live under increased power. Stock (so they say), they will last at 550 hp. BUT, mine gave up at far less power. Mine had 170k when it died. Yes there are improvements, but that requires going through the transmission.

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: Tranny guys, your input pls

Thanks Matt,

It just seems like one of those things that doesn't get a whole lot of attention here on the board... or is it just me? Like a "nice to have" but "don't worry about it" kinda thing.

Thanks again,

h

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode