Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Getting P0261 and P0683 code at the same time. Also reading all other injector codes as well.

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  lukekg515 
#1 ·
On my way home from work the other day my truck suddenly shut off. The truck has not been able to start since. Right before it shut off the truck would hesitate when I stepped on the accelerator and then it would eventually go. It didn't run bad, a little white smoke in the morning after I started it up but after it warmed up no problems. I recently bought an actron OBD 2 code reader and it read 11 different codes all having to do with either the FICM (injector codes for all cylinders) and the GPCM or glow plugs. Nine of the codes were pending but the two confirmed codes were P0261 and P0683 (which I understand as having to do with the FICM and the GPCM). I also just replaced the FICM because I thought that was the issue but the truck still will not start. Do these codes typically go together or is there some other underlying issue?

#2 ·
I should add that both batteries are good and holding at about 12.5v. When I tested the FICM it kept bouncing back and forth between 24 and 30 volts. That led me to think that the FICM was the problem. Also there is no white smoke that comes out of the exhaust when I try to start it for an extended period of time.

#3 ·
I am sure some of the more veteran guys will chime in but I agree with you sounds like a bad FICM here. I would replace with a upgraded one 58V that my next upgrade I am looking to do and sounds like its needed to get you back up and running again. I have never read or heard of all the injectors going out at once, only other thing I can thing of would be a lack of fuel issue throwing those codes for all injectors.

#5 ·
So I assume the reason it's not starting is because the FICM needs to be reprogrammed since it was a new FICM. Just to make sure the FICM actually was the problem I tested the new FICM today and it read a constant 48v whereas the old one read, like I said previously, between 24 and 30v. Anyone know where to reprogram these things without going to a Ford Dealer or does it have to be done at a Ford dealer? My problem is that the truck can't start even with the old FICM so I'd rather not have to tow the truck just to reprogram the FICM. Thanks.

#8 ·
Got the refurbished FICM and still won't start. I was wondering if it could be the alternator. I changed the belt recently because the power steering was going out. After I changed the belt it got a little better but still ran into some problems. No flickering of lights or anything happened so I'm wondering if the alternator went bad. Does that sound right?

#9 ·
Try your FICM relay.
I replaced both batteries and put my "spare" FICM module on my 2004.
It had all kinds of codes but it was just the relay.
New relay and all of the codes went away and it was up and running again.
Fairly cheap, worth a try......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.