SCT custom tune and boost level question - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Spooling

SCT custom tune and boost level question

I am very new to the diesel world, just bought my first one about a month ago, a lifted 2006 F250. Other than the lift its pretty much stock other than an Airaid cold air intake and a 4" turbo back exhaust. I have been doing research and trying to learn as much as possible. I just got a SCT Livewire TS from Innovative and got a couple custom tunes from them. I loaded up the Xtreme Street tune and it is a night and day difference over the canned tunes! It is noticeably faster, drives better, and doesn't pour black smoke. However I noticed even with the Xtreme Street tune the boost level only goes to around 22psi. When I was on the highway and rolled into the throttle it spiked at 26psi. On the stock tune it is around 22psi. Is it normal for it to be at the stock boost level with a custom tune? I have three buddies that have 6.0l diesels with tunes and they are all making 37-39psi, thats why I am so confused as to why mine is still at stock boost levels but still feels much faster than stock. I know there are other factors such as fuel, timing, ect...but I would think the boost level would be higher. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 03:35 AM
Big dumb redneck

Garage
Re: SCT custom tune and boost level question

If I recall correctly, 37-39psi on a stock turbo is a good way to shorten its life span.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Spooling

Yeah 37-39psi seemed like a lot to me on a stock turbo, but I am new to all this so I wasnt sure. But either way, why is their boost level so much more then mine? One of my buddies has an SCT tuner with the same Xtreme Street tune by Innovative Diesel. Like I said the truck runs great, I'm just confused by the boost level difference between my truck and my other buddies.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 06:05 AM
PSN Veteran

I don't believe the numbers your buddies are putting out, not on a stock "turdbo" impossible

Pmax & batmowheel
Banks technicooler
Arp's
Warren 175/75's
Fass titanium 125 w/ sump
Volant intake
5" mrbp turbo back 6" tip
Reg. return w/6.4 banjos and oil and coolant filter
Sct itsx on iPad w/ Drew's tunes
Idp ficm tune
Snow water/meth
Empty bank account
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 12:37 PM
Jackleg Mechanic

Your tune writer probably took into account that your truck was stock as you stated and kept the boost at stock pressures to keep you from lifting the heads. Get some head studs in it and you'll be able to bump that boost up.

Jeff
06 F350 6.0L CCLB AMARILLO 4X4
- SCT Livewire, Quick Tricks Looney tune, XDP Coolant filter, Blue Spring Mod, High Flow Banjo bolts, Warren's 175/30 injectors with upgraded spools, ARP Studs, PowerMax Stag One Turbo, Bilstien 5100's. Banks 4in turbo back Monster exhaust. All necessary internal bulletproofing. High Idle mod
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 03:16 PM
PSN Local

Either way you go... you will never see 37-39psi on the livewire. It utilizes the MAP sensor which can only read to about 30psi. Most tunes I have seen max out at 28 or 33 psi... You have to get an actual separate boost gauge to read that high

Also if you are running a stock turbo at 39psi you will be so far out of the efficiency range of the turbo that you will just be blowing a ton of hot air and then more than likely blow up the turbo.

Those other guys are probably just exaggerating
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Spooling

I am more than happy and cant keep a grin off my face any time I get into the throttle, I was just curious as to why. From what I have been reading and you guys are telling me, mine is at a good and efficient boost level. My buddies and I are all seperated from each due to Army and personal needs. I am in AZ, one in NC, one in Korea, and one in Germany so I have not seen the boost levels in person. But one of my buddies is suppose to send me a video later today of it boosting 39psi. I will ask him again if its stock turbo or not. But I do know he told me its on stock head bolts, seems scary and like a time bomb to me. They all have an EGR delete and strait exhaust from turbo back so they have less restrictions than my truck. Also might be a difference in strategies maybe?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 10:19 PM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

I don't care what they have done.... if they are consistently hitting 39psi on a stock turbo, they'll be buying a new one in the near future.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
BPD FICM
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 11:24 PM
PursuitInterceptor

Something is going to go BOOM real soon. Would you believe you don't need a higher boost reading compared to stock to see more HP or performance?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people my friend....those with loaded guns, and those who dig.

You dig.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 02:05 AM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
Something is going to go BOOM real soon. Would you believe you don't need a higher boost reading compared to stock to see more HP or performance?
Say it ain't so!!!

People have to learn the hard (and expensive) way I guess. Bigger ain't always better.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
BPD FICM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode