Has anyone done this? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
PSN Student

Has anyone done this?

Hey guys, I have a 2003 6.0 and I was wondering if anyone has ever taken this trans and made it so you can switch back and forth from a full automatic to like an automatic clutch type of deal. I know dodge guys have done it but to my knowledge nobody has done it with a 5r110. From what I can understand a dodge trans uses the valve body to do this while 5r110 uses electronic solenoids. I am also curious as to if anyone even offers a ratchet shifter that would work. I believe the normal shift pattern for our trans is 1-2-3-5-OD (4th is only used when cold or when you lay into it going at a speed that is too high to downshift into 3rd), so I would probably try to do the same deal when I did this. Unless one of you guys have a reason to include that 4th gear. Thank you very much!

1996 F-250 CCSB. Exhaust, modified intake, trans kit-SOLD
2002 F-250 ECSB. Exhaust, Cold Air, Trans kit, Hypertech programmer.
122,000 and counting
2003 F-350 SCLB ARP Studs, EGR Delete, Stack, Cold Air, SCT Tuner, 185cc Injectors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 03:09 PM
'05 Excursion

Re: Has anyone done this?

Interesting idea but I wonder what the effects would be after being in "manual" on the PCM's control logic since it uses driving habits to program the shifting? It would suck if you had to go through a transmission re-learn procedure every time you came out of "manual" mode.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

SCT, no studs...yet, Dual OEM intake air filter housings, Banks intercooler & intake elbow, Banks exhaust syatem, Windrunner ported intake manifold, Bullet Proof Diesel remote oil cooler & thermostat, AirDog2 (plus a couple spares), Power steering filter (Amsoil dual-bypass), MagTec deep ATF pan, Electric oil pre-lub pump, Dakota Digital gauges.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
PSN Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Term3 View Post
Interesting idea but I wonder what the effects would be after being in "manual" on the PCM's control logic since it uses driving habits to program the shifting? It would suck if you had to go through a transmission re-learn procedure every time you came out of "manual" mode.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I know what your saying but I was wondering if there is any way to make that trans think that its just in neutral and then be able to do my own shifting. Do you think if I hooked up something along the lines of a PCS controller to do the manual shifts and switch back and forth between the computers so the program could be saved? By the way. Thank you for the respectful response. Everywhere else that I posted this people had something short of respectful and intelligent to say.

122,000 and counting
2003 F-350 SCLB ARP Studs, EGR Delete, Stack, Cold Air, SCT Tuner, 185cc Injectors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 03:40 PM
Administrator

never been done that iI have read about
but you can manually shift them via the gear selector
so I am surprised no one has made a push button like the Allison has

Fords funky though when your in 2or third for example thats it it won't auto downshift
GM say your select third it will still downshift to 1st so it's smoother on the tranny IMHO and a more practical process
( ever accidentally select 3rd vs D in a ford and your screwed pulling out into traffic a GM you won't notice untill the RPMS are climbing higher than normal in third

the PCS controller is $$ and even if it worked it would be a wiring nightmare to switch between the two and keep the proper inputs going to the PCM but taking the PCM part out of the equation since it's inside the PCM/ECM

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
PSN Student

I know you can do it on the column but its difficult when you are messing around. And the auto downshift isn't a huge concern for me since I will be shifting constantly through that whole thing anyway. The wiring nightmare is what scares me. I don't want it to be a hacked process. I want it to be clean and not cause any more problems with a million splices. Do you think it would be a possibility to adapt an Allison push button controller to the 5R110. To be honest Im still learning with how these transmissions work so I'm not sure of the differences between the Allison's way of shifting vs the 5R. When you put the push button in an Allison does it still have the automatic downshift feature?

122,000 and counting

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 05:41 PM
Administrator

I only rode in the Alison truck while someone did the shifting I don't know what years do what ?? I just know it impressed Me
but I am sure it would be no simpler of a task trying to use the GM parts to shift the 5r .

the shifting is complex as far as I can tell from What Mark tells us between timing and one solenoid activates as the other deactivates ( extreme layman's terms )

not to mention PCM/ECM verifying all the solenoid positions it must be the reason no one has come out with a standalone shifter like they have for some others ??

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
PSN Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmann View Post
I only rode in the Alison truck while someone did the shifting I don't know what years do what ?? I just know it impressed Me
but I am sure it would be no simpler of a task trying to use the GM parts to shift the 5r .

the shifting is complex as far as I can tell from What Mark tells us between timing and one solenoid activates as the other deactivates ( extreme layman's terms )

not to mention PCM/ECM verifying all the solenoid positions it must be the reason no one has come out with a standalone shifter like they have for some others ??
I have the schematic for this trans and a map of each solenoid for each gear and what goes on hold and what opens and all that so I know it wont be easy haha but there has to be a first for everything. Nobody else doing it makes me want to figure it out even more.

122,000 and counting

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 11:36 PM
Administrator

I wish Mark the Engineer would post

He was one of the engineers on the 5r

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
PSN Student

That would be awesome!

122,000 and counting

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 03:21 AM
PSN Veteran

I own 1 car with an auto-shift and 1 with paddle shifters. I rarely use either. Maybe I'm getting old.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode