Contaminated Intercooler? Was looking at buying the BD Crank Case Vent Filter Kit... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Talking Contaminated Intercooler? Was looking at buying the BD Crank Case Vent Filter Kit...

Hey guys,

The other day, I ordered the new Exhaust Manifolds offered by BD Diesel and had a look at there Crank Case Vent Filter Kit. For those who don't know, these kits are designed to prevent your turbo from becoming a dual purpose oil slinger.

Anyways, I hate the idea of have motor oil shoot out and saturating both the hot side of the turbo/intercooler pipe and the intercooler itself. But aside from the sheer annoyance, I can't think of any significant negative impacts on my truck. I mean, it's not a oftern discussed topic on the nation from what I know...

But then I got to thinking that maybe my intercooler is saturated, which hinders it's ability to cool air... or am I just blowing smoke out of my ass? lol
I am guessing nobody here has sawed open their intercooler to find out have they? If this seem to make sense to you guys, this kit would really make sense and it might be worth while to wash out and degrease the stock intercooler too.

Can anyone shed light pls? Thoughts...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 06:32 AM
PSN Veteran

Garage
Re: Contaminated Intercooler? Was looking at buying the BD Crank Case Vent Filter Kit...

Well, I'm new to the realm of diesels really, but I would recommend doing what I did. Remove CAC pipe leading to the intake and take a look-see. I did that and the inside of the pipe was coated with oil! In fact, when I then took the other side off the CAC about half an ounce or so poured out of the thing. This tells me the inside of the CAC is coated in it too. Like you said, I think the efficiency is now reduced.

When I have the whole top end basically pulled apart for some mods I'm doing I'm going to pull the CAC and give it a good simple green wash to get as much oil out of it as possible. For the future, I built my own CCV filter kit out of some 2" PVC, some end caps, fittings, stainless steel wool and 1" hose. Total cost was about $25. Granted, I won't know just how well it is working until after I get the CAC and CAC tubes cleaned out, but the intake side of the turbo looks much cleaner now!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 12:10 PM
Swamp trash...

Re: Contaminated Intercooler? Was looking at buying the BD Crank Case Vent Filter Kit...

That BD kit looks way expensive.... do what he said^^^. You could vent to the atmosphere as well, a lot of people do it. I used to but had some scavenging issues and after reading a post on the org where a couple of techs chimed in to describe the actuall function of the ccv I went back to stock and clean the boots every once and a while.

Chris. 06 LBCC XL 4×4

Studded and deleted
Oringed heads
S2 turbo
190/30 injectors
ported intake
amsoil bypass
PHP gryphon
SCT X3

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 01:49 PM
Administrator

just keep in mind
anytime you mess with the CCV you run the risk of causing oil leaks at the seals

you will go from a positive crank case vent to neutral or even risk pressurizing the crank case if done wrong

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherlite View Post
Well, I'm new to the realm of diesels really, but I would recommend doing what I did. Remove CAC pipe leading to the intake and take a look-see. I did that and the inside of the pipe was coated with oil! In fact, when I then took the other side off the CAC about half an ounce or so poured out of the thing. This tells me the inside of the CAC is coated in it too. Like you said, I think the efficiency is now reduced.

When I have the whole top end basically pulled apart for some mods I'm doing I'm going to pull the CAC and give it a good simple green wash to get as much oil out of it as possible. For the future, I built my own CCV filter kit out of some 2" PVC, some end caps, fittings, stainless steel wool and 1" hose. Total cost was about $25. Granted, I won't know just how well it is working until after I get the CAC and CAC tubes cleaned out, but the intake side of the turbo looks much cleaner now!
Weatherlite, I guess my only question for you is how would you go about getting the intercooler dry after soaking the inside with warm water and detergent? It would have to be 100% dry before reinstalling after all, you wouldn't want to get any water droplets of water blown in to the intake manifold and in to the combustion chamber. I guess maybe a leaf blower/some kind of forced air to push any moisture out and let it sit for a couple days?

While we are on the topic of intercoolers, any of you have an aftermarket intercooler? Or is the stock suffice?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmann View Post
just keep in mind
anytime you mess with the CCV you run the risk of causing oil leaks at the seals

you will go from a positive crank case vent to neutral or even risk pressurizing the crank case if done wrong
Yea, that's my deficiency I guess, I really don't know the function of the positive crank case ventilation. What seals can I potentially dry out (in the turbo? I am guessing you don't have one of these kits? Is it common do you know?

Thanks again
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 12:50 PM
Swamp trash...

It landed me a wet bellhousing and blowing blue smoke when mine got plugged. I am currently looking into a closed system with a catch can.

Chris. 06 LBCC XL 4×4

Studded and deleted
Oringed heads
S2 turbo
190/30 injectors
ported intake
amsoil bypass
PHP gryphon
SCT X3
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyD View Post
Yea, that's my deficiency I guess, I really don't know the function of the positive crank case ventilation. What seals can I potentially dry out (in the turbo? I am guessing you don't have one of these kits? Is it common do you know?

Thanks again
dry seals aren't the issue its having crank case pressure it will blow oil out of the seals in the motor rear main etc

I actually have a Racor CCV catch can ready to go on and just ties in to the OEM routing
so it retains the positive flow from the intake drawing the fumes in

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 03:17 PM
'05 Excursion

Contaminated Intercooler? Was looking at buying the BD Crank Case Vent Filte...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc82 View Post
It landed me a wet bellhousing and blowing blue smoke when mine got plugged. I am currently looking into a closed system with a catch can.
You can have the one I made bud. I took it off my truck when I found a super cheap heated Raycor. It even has a see thru end cap for easy inspection.
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1398525321.799146.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1398525344.050387.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1398525371.813649.jpg
I had it mounted on the frame and kept from freezing by tracing it with the coolant line for my coolant filter but you won't have that problem down there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

SCT, no studs...yet, Dual OEM intake air filter housings, Banks intercooler & intake elbow, Banks exhaust syatem, Windrunner ported intake manifold, Bullet Proof Diesel remote oil cooler & thermostat, AirDog2 (plus a couple spares), Power steering filter (Amsoil dual-bypass), MagTec deep ATF pan, Electric oil pre-lub pump, Dakota Digital gauges.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmann View Post
dry seals aren't the issue its having crank case pressure it will blow oil out of the seals in the motor rear main etc

I actually have a Racor CCV catch can ready to go on and just ties in to the OEM routing
so it retains the positive flow from the intake drawing the fumes in

Zmann, which Racor CCV catch can are you using? Do you need any other parts? Don't suppose you have any pics or a parts list at least?

Sorry to do this to you but your set up sounds like a less risky (and a cheaper) way of not having oil leaks while no longer having oily pipes/intercooler.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode