Blow off valve - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Blow off valve

What are your opinions on blow off valves on diesels, or experiences good or bad. Let me know I'm thinking about installing a bd or turbo smart blow off valve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 04:03 AM
Kris

Re: Blow off valve

A diesel doesn't have a blow off valve because it would not do anything. A gas motor controls throttle via the air coming in, a throttle plate opens to allow more air into the intake. A diesel motor is controlled by fuel so it doesn't need a throttle body. When a turbocharged gas motor lets off the throttle, the plate closes. All that boost in the charge pipe has to go somewhere- hence the blow off valve. It's basically a valve that releases the air to the atmosphere or sometimes recirculated back into the system.

Soooooooooo diesels don't have them because they don't need them, nor would they serve any function. If you want one simply for looks, go for it. Now, there are BOV's that "can" work on a diesel engine- but in my mind there's no point. It takes too much crap to actually have the valve pop off- with a proper setup you would never "need" them. (I'll say this as my opinion, as some big shot 1000hp racers may join in and say they're running one, haha.)

2000 F-350 4x4, 7.3L/6 Speed.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 04:23 AM
PSN Local

Even more unnecessary with a vgt

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I realize there isn't really a purpose, but when you are boosting hard and let the throttle off that extra boost can hurt your turbo can't it? And would a blow off valve get rid of the deceleration of the turbo noise when I let off?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 08:27 PM
Kris

On a stock truck you really don't need one. Hell, on a built up competition truck, I don't think you need one.

It's not the same as a gas motor, when you let off the throttle in a gasser the throttle plate closes and you have a charge pipe with a bunch of pressure that wants to go somewhere. Diesel's don't have to worry about a throttle plate suddenly closing, they will swallow that crap up. They're good like that. :P

2000 F-350 4x4, 7.3L/6 Speed.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 10:29 PM
PursuitInterceptor

PROZON has it reading right. The boost that is built is released thru the intake tubing/filter. If you are ALWAYS having this condition when letting off the pedal you have a problem to fix. I can create the condition easily by getting the boost to climb fast and suddenly letting off the pedal. I generally don't drive that way so it's no problem.

If you are experiencing this anytime, say under general driving with mild boost PSI, you have another issue to fix.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people my friend....those with loaded guns, and those who dig.

You dig.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I just bought a powermax that's why I'm asking, I thought it would sound cool Also
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 08:05 PM
PSN Newb

They do sound cool. If you want one.. buy one and put it on your truck..

Do you what you want to do.. to hell with what everyone else thinks of it. Hell, after people hear/see yours they may want one too...

I'd rather be a trend setter than a trend follower
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 09:40 PM
PSN Newb

I wouldn't

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 11:58 PM
PursuitInterceptor

So where would you install the blow off valve?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people my friend....those with loaded guns, and those who dig.

You dig.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode