making F250 pull some weight - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

making F250 pull some weight

I really don't want a dually and I really don't want to sell my truck. I have got a 2007 f250 6.0 powerstroke regular cab 2wd.

I am thinking about buying a dumptrailer capable of holding 20k pounds with a goosneck hitch. What would have to be done to my truck to make it pull that?

I would imagine that tranny upgrades would be needed and also some changes to the rear end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:39 PM
PursuitInterceptor

Re: making F250 pull some weight

Why mod it?? Staying stock will give you the best chance at doing it every day. Trans upgrades aren't really needed since the OEM stuff is pretty stout. The gears are nothing more than mechanical advantage. They will help but could cause MPG issues.

I say leave it as is...tow the load and see what happens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people my friend....those with loaded guns, and those who dig.

You dig.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
Why mod it?? Staying stock will give you the best chance at doing it every day. Trans upgrades aren't really needed since the OEM stuff is pretty stout. The gears are nothing more than mechanical advantage. They will help but could cause MPG issues.

I say leave it as is...tow the load and see what happens.

I thought it was only rated to pull 15k pounds. No?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 12:41 AM
PursuitInterceptor

Well then you have a decision to make....5k worth the effort?? Not when your insurance finds out after the accident you were running over weight. Or should I say the victims attorney finds out....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people my friend....those with loaded guns, and those who dig.

You dig.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 03:30 AM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

Buy a trailer rated at only 15k? Who am I kidding...most people overload their trailers anyways. Like Heavy said...get busted or have an accident towing overweight...it won't be pretty. If you want to tow heavy, get a truck rated for it. If you want to keep your current truck, just don't tow heavier than the rated limit.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 03:43 AM
PSN Local

What they said... Every one has done it at one point but intentional doing it on the regular is asking for issues. As far as the driveline goes the engine and trans are very similar if not identical to the 07 f450/550 chassis cab that had a GCVW of 33k when equipped properly. Part of that was the huge 14.5 and 15n change inch brake rotors the other big ones where the 4.88 gears in a medium duty Dana s110 rear axle.

Also in my experience a 20k GVW trailer plus an 8300lb truck get past the 26k DOT number and start getting into CDL type weights.

And unless you have scales where you are loading dump trailers and gooseneck a are the most likely trailer to be loaded overweight because they are built so well and heavy duty. And when most people see a 20k or 22k rated trailer they think they can put 20k of stuff on it when in actuality it's the total weight of the trailer and the cargo. Most larger gooseneck dump trailers weigh around 9-10k empty...

2006 CCSB 4x4 ARP studs, FCDP egr delete and coolant filter, SCT tuned by Innovative, 6.4 banjos, MBRP 4" Turbo back, Edge Insight CTS, Blue Spring Kit, 160amp alt with remote rectifier from Quick Start, Icon 2.5", toyo mt's

Made for work by Ford, Made for fun by FCDP

So how is that Hope and Change workin out for ya?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Well thanks guys. I did not know about that it would be illegal to pull more than the truck was rated for. I just thought those ratings were what the engine and trans were able to handle without tearing up ad as long as you upgraded what you needed to you were fine. I should have known. It sounds like I need to stay within my limits for the truck.

Just a thought, but why does Ram advertise that its dually can pull 30k pounds if dot only allows 26k? For truck and trailer both. Seems kinda crazy for the auto industry to keep building more and more power to pull more weight if you are not allowed to pull it anyways.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 05:03 PM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

Because you are getting into CDL territory with that kind if weight.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 06:00 PM
Banned

IIRC, the 2015 F450 will be able to pull 33k or something crazy.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode