Bigger turbo challenges - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Bigger turbo challenges

Thought I'd start a thread since there may be others out there trying to tackle the same issues. Installed a MadMax turbo a couple of weeks back. Trying to get closer to 500hp on stock sticks. 0-60 times have improved but EGTs are really high and mileage has dropped. I'm in Colorado at around 5500ft elevation.
Thinking of getting an aftermarket intake and maybe a ported intake manifold to improve the EGTs and make better use of the fuel at the low end. Been working with a couple of tuners, its helped but the files make the truck run funky. Great guys here and we're still working the issues. Any input would be great. Especially on the value of an aftermarket CAI and a ported intake manifold.

Some specifics. 0-60 boosted rear wheel launch improved time from 7.0 to 6.4 seconds. 0-30 time has dropped about 0.5sec but the high end is screaming fast. EGTs can climb to 1300F just going up a slight incline at 40mph. Fuel economy (comparing lie-o-meter readings) has dropped 1-2 mpg.

2005 F-350 CCLB Dually. ARP Headstuds, Bulletproof EGR Cooler, upgraded H/P oil system, Blue Spring, Sinister Diesel cooling system filter, Bulletproof 48V FICM power supply. Banks monster exhaust, kitty lost along the way. MadMax Turbo, WPE Stage II ported intake manifold, PHP FICM tuning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: Bigger turbo challenges

Sorry, meant to say 0-30 times have INCREASED 0.5 sec. I don't think I have enough air to burn the fuel.

2005 F-350 CCLB Dually. ARP Headstuds, Bulletproof EGR Cooler, upgraded H/P oil system, Blue Spring, Sinister Diesel cooling system filter, Bulletproof 48V FICM power supply. Banks monster exhaust, kitty lost along the way. MadMax Turbo, WPE Stage II ported intake manifold, PHP FICM tuning.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 11:36 PM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

Seems to me if you have a bigger turbo, then you have plenty of air for stock sticks. Any spooling issues?

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Yes. Lots of lag using a custom tune I have from my stock turbo. Truck will sit still for a 2 count at a dead stop then spit out a lot of smoke before taking off. Really moves out after about 2200rpm. Cruising at 45mph will get me high EGTs while a WOT run will not get above 1150F.

post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 01:44 AM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

How big is that Madmax? Sounds to me like you have too much turbo. Lower rpms just can't spool it, but higher rpms will...that's why your EGT's are so out of whack. Just my opinion anyways.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 02:14 AM
JGman141

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxQ Dually View Post
Yes. Lots of lag using a custom tune I have from my stock turbo. Truck will sit still for a 2 count at a dead stop then spit out a lot of smoke before taking off. Really moves out after about 2200rpm. Cruising at 45mph will get me high EGTs while a WOT run will not get above 1150F.
You need to have your tune adjusted for that new turbo, the mad max is a 66mm turbo and needs to have the vgt duty cycle higher down low to improve spool. Give drew at back roads performance a call, he has a tune specifically for that turbo.

2004 6.0 ccsb Warren 430/150 hybrids, Warren Comp Trans, Warren Dual Hpop, Billet S475 w/race cover, Marty's A1000 Fuel System, Colt Stage 2, and all the other supporting stuff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

From the MTW website:
Housing Specs & a/r: 66mm / 90mm / .58a/r
Compressor Wheel: 66mm billet slimline
Turbine Wheel: 10 balde PowerMax
Compatible Injectors: Stock - 190cc

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 02:48 AM
PSN Veteran

I'm out In eagle. We need to get a meet an greet going.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 10:28 PM
PSN Newb

What transmission do you have? I've got the MadMax too, and I'm not building much boost until about 1800 RPMs. I've got a ZF6 tranny though... as well as generic tunes from Matt @ Gearhead. I'm not running a MadMax specific tune yet. However, there's a guy named Drew (Back Road Performance) who makes a great tune for the MadMax and stock injectors from what I hear. Try giving him a call to see what he can do for you. He sent me one last night, but my truck is down getting a full fuel system installed.

Getting ready for 190/75s

Chris|2006 F-250 RCSB
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 10:30 PM
fueled by Colecovision

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxQ Dually View Post
have your tuner(s) focus on shift points & converter lock/unlock strategy..

or see for yourself..play around with the OD/Tow Haul or whatever it's called.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode