5R110 build - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

5R110 build

Hey guys, pulling my trans next week to overhaul it. Got the alto master kit with the power pack direct drive and forward clutch kits. My question is there any pump mods that should be done? Or leave it stock? I was not planning on touching the pump. Just wondering how many other of you guys change stuff in the pump. Truck will only have some mild tunes (drew's street runner, street king and towing). I also got a stiffer low/reverse one way clutch snap ring. Any one that has any knowledge feel free to chime in!

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 10:45 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: 5R110 build

Upgrade the converter!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2006 f250 4x4 6in lift 37x13.5 tires
A few engine parts here and there

Back Road Performance tuned
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 11:58 PM
JGman141

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06-6.0 stoker View Post
Upgrade the converter!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2004 6.0 ccsb Warren 430/150 hybrids, Warren Comp Trans, Warren Dual Hpop, Billet S475 w/race cover, Marty's A1000 Fuel System, Colt Stage 2, and all the other supporting stuff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

That was included in all that sorry i did not mention it. I do not see many guys putting "shift kits" in these transmissions. Seems like alot of the pressures are controlled by tuning. One person i spoke with that builds these recommended the trans go reverse kit but that seemed to be more of an issue on the very early models. I just wasnt sure if there were any pump mods i should do or just leave it alone. Should i replace the pump stator for a new gear set? It doesnt seem like there are any pressure related issues (delayed engagements etc). I know my intermediate and direct drive clutches are toasted. Also going to change a couple of solenoids.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 01:54 AM
PSN Veteran

Are you going with a higher or lower stall converter?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 01:54 AM
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods

Put the $30 transgo shift kit. It's easy and comes with a new HD low reverse drum snap ring. These r pretty much standard in every built tranny from what I've gathered.

Nate
06 F350 4x4: Non-VGT 67mm Turbo, WPE Big Oil HPOP, HD 215/85s, Race Ported Intake, NB/Warren Tranny, and some other stuff.... 100k miles and counting....

06 F250 2wd: Stock... EGR delete, Race Ported Intake, and a mild street tune.... Leaking HGs

WINDRUNNER PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING (WPE)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenzhotrod View Post
Are you going with a higher or lower stall converter?
Im actually going with one that a member on here has a guy build locally for him. Wise guy uses them for all his builds and has over 300,000 miles on several units. I'm trying to pay him but he hasnt been on here in about 10 days

local built converter billet cover raybestos clutch's solid aluminum support with Torrington bearing "5r100 are triple disc factory and furnace braised fins"
-thats what he was telling me about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
Put the $30 transgo shift kit. It's easy and comes with a new HD low reverse drum snap ring. These r pretty much standard in every built tranny from what I've gathered.
The 30$ kit just limits reverse pressure so you dont over pressurize reverse. That seemed much more prevelant on the early models. I already got a HD low/reverse snap ring. The issue was i dont have the pump alignment pins to assemble the halves i wasnt going to spend another 200$ on tools for the alignment band and pins to assemble the pump if i didnt have to. But if its absolutely required i'll buy them.

Do you know if i can change valves in the pump without disassembling it? I know they are held together by small clips.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 11:35 AM
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods

Just make em. That's what I did. Two bolts with the heads cut off work perfect. $5 into it.

The transgo shift kit does more than that dude. It comes with like 3 different regulator springs. Either way, the alignment dowel special tools are a waste. Just make em and buy the band clamp and ur done.

Nate
06 F350 4x4: Non-VGT 67mm Turbo, WPE Big Oil HPOP, HD 215/85s, Race Ported Intake, NB/Warren Tranny, and some other stuff.... 100k miles and counting....

06 F250 2wd: Stock... EGR delete, Race Ported Intake, and a mild street tune.... Leaking HGs

WINDRUNNER PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING (WPE)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
Just make em. That's what I did. Two bolts with the heads cut off work perfect. $5 into it.

The transgo shift kit does more than that dude. It comes with like 3 different regulator springs. Either way, the alignment dowel special tools are a waste. Just make em and buy the band clamp and ur done.
could you use 2 big hose clamps put together for the band? Or are they not wide enough?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I may need a back up plan if i cannot get in touch with wise guy. What else do you recommend for a torque converter that is cost effective? As stated previously, this truck isnt going for crazy hp or towing very heavy loads. Just some tuning. I do not think i need the PI, ATS or DPC converters.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode