Will I turn my 6.0 into a timebomb? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Will I turn my 6.0 into a timebomb?

Hey folks, this is my first post here, thoguh I've been lurking around for a while. I have a question.

Last year I picked up an '06 F350 Super Duty with a 6.0 in it. 215,000 km- $7000. Already has an RCD EGR delete it it, but it still does leak just a bit of coolant (mild head gasket leak).

The leak doesn't seem to be hurting anything so I wouldn't worry too much, except that I just got a promotion at work which means I'll be hauling the company trailer with my truck this summer... so I wanna get it as reliable as possible.

I figured if I'm gonna be tearing into the engine to replace gaskets anyway, I may as well install ARP head studs even if they're only gonna give me a bit more peace of mind. I don't wanna break down hauling my boss's equipment.

Then, being the naive young fella I am, I thought "Why not do a few more mods while I'm at it? Can't hurt right?"

I'm not interested in spending a fortune, but I do wanna make this truck last a bit longer and be a bit easier on the fuel too. So here's the rundown-

ARP head studs

Batmowheel

SCT tuner

Get my injectors AFM'd by Chatham Fuel Systems

It's not anything too fancy, but it's not super pricey either.

My father is a Ford-trained mechanic, though he's now working elsewhere. HE thinks that these mods will just cause my 6.0 to blow up- says it's too much horsepower, so he is reluctant to help me with the project.

So I'm asking you guys- if I don't drive it like a speed-crazed maniac everywhere, will those mods really be THAT hard on my engine?

From what I've read, I should be getting lower EGT's, better mileage, and more torque... do you think that's really gonna fry my 6.0?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 07:21 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

Re: Will I turn my 6.0 into a timebomb?

my understanding is that the bottom end is pretty tough. BUT, choose the tune wisely lol! and one important thing i didn't see is the oil cooler... you planning to update that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

As far as the tune goes, I'll be leaving it on towing/economy most of the time except for occasional goofing around with my buddies.

I had given some consideration to an oil cooler, but haven't made a decision yet. I'm open to suggestions, although again, I don't wanna spend a fortune.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 08:18 PM
"Slap hands slap hands"

In my opinion it's a must to add these to your list for longevity and preventative measures. New upgraded oil cooler, 6.4 banjo bolts, blue spring kit, Eagar delete and coolant filter kit. I don't see any reason why the other upgrades would blow your engine up but there really isn't a reason to upgrade your injectors and turbo unless your looking for that bug HP and Torque gains. The SCT tuner alone with custom tune from Drew is plenty enough power and Turque for me on my daily driver and while towing my boat.

JB
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlossyB View Post
I don't see any reason why the other upgrades would blow your engine up but there really isn't a reason to upgrade your injectors and turbo unless your looking for that bug HP and Torque gains
I've seen a few claims of the honed injectors slightly improving mileage, and the upgraded turbo lowering the EGT, so that was my reasoning, although I can't say I'd mind a bit more power too.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 09:37 PM
Wyo
scouts out...

I'd say your dad is both right and wrong, among most factory trained machanics and this goes for pretty much every brand there philosophy is that altering the vehicle away from factory specs or parts makes it less reliable because it is no longer how the vehicle was originally engineered. Also from there time working at the dealership they tend to get the trucks that were not fully modded to handle the abuse that the owner put it through. For example when I got my 6.0 I put a tuner on it with no mods done at all, I ran the truck this way for some time while banking cash to fully bullit proof the engine. When the head gaskets finally went I had the cash to do everything that I needed to do, HOWEVER I'm sure to the ford mechanic that I took it to, he seen the tuner and went yep that's why it failed right there, stupid guy had a tuner. In my opinion the truck was stock and had 100k and it was just a matter of time before the gaskets went anyways but some mechanics don't think like that. Which is why it's always nice to find a good diesel shop that knows what's really going on with the mods you want and what they really do for the truck. Pretty much all dealerships install only OEM parts so they don't have much referance on aftermarket equipment to base things off of. The bottom end of our engines are pretty solid, take a look around at some of the other members rigs and you can easliy see that your mods are pretty mild and I think would be reliable. Do some reading on here and address the known trouble ares of our engine, spend the money where it's needed and you'll be plenty happy for many miles.

2007 CC, Lariat, 6.0L, TreadWright guard dogs, straight piped out the back, egr delete, blue spring, 6.4 banjo bolts, high idle mod(bcp), bulletproofed, SCT Livewire TS with Drews street runner(under development for high elevation), Innovative, and Vivian's tunes, ww2.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 02:07 AM
Swamp trash...

Welp... if it was me and If I was doing it on a budget...heres would be what I would do

-ARP studs
-OEM head gaskets
-Update any Ford parts, STC, dummy plugs...etc
-Coolant filter
-ELC Swap and new oil cooler
-SCT with custom tuning
-FICM tune
-Billet compressor wheel ( forget the Batmo)
-Injectors gone through and resealed and spool valves polished either DIY or by Warren Diesel ( maybe bumped to 155 or 175)
-Don't forget to save a few bucks for machine work on your heads/ or maybe new heads.

That's the minimum I would do.

Chris. 06 LBCC XL 4◊4

Studded and deleted
Oringed heads
S2 turbo
190/30 injectors
ported intake
amsoil bypass
PHP gryphon
SCT X3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode