Question reguarding straight pipe noise level... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Question reguarding straight pipe noise level...

I am debating whether i want a muffler in my exhaust system or not, and right now i'm leaning toward no. I've seen countless videos of straight piped trucks, but i really want first hand experiences. Is it too loud for driving around town without pissing people off? How about wife and kids in the truck? Noise level with the windows up? How about towing? Any other insight is nice. thanks.

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 01:37 AM
Wyo
scouts out...

Re: Question reguarding straight pipe noise level...

Mine is straight piped, I love it. It's louder but if your not under load and running WOT then it shouldn't piss to many people off. The noise inside the cab has never stopped anyone from falling asleep in my truck. I have a 3y/o son and an 11y/o daughter, neither of them have complained. However under load, and WOT it's dang loud, I drove through a tunnel and rolled down the windows got on it pretty hard and good lord, I would not want to be in a car next to me I can tell you that. But I'm a firm believer that your truck is yours so you want to straight pipe it then screw the neighbors. They don't like it offer them to buy you a muffler, otherwise it's yours do as you please. But that's just my way of looking at things, if they don't pay my bills then they don't have a say so in what I do to my truck.

2007 CC, Lariat, 6.0L, TreadWright guard dogs, straight piped out the back, egr delete, blue spring, 6.4 banjo bolts, high idle mod(bcp), bulletproofed, SCT Livewire TS with Drews street runner(under development for high elevation), Innovative, and Vivian's tunes, ww2.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 01:41 AM
PSN Veteran

I prefer a muffler. I think straight piped trucks are loud. 4in exhaust with muffler has nice rumble. But I am getting old and have heavy foot.

Fixing ford diesels since before they had turbochargers
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 02:13 AM
whistle tits

With a 4" straight pipe, it won't be too loud. 5" sounds damn good, but is also decently loud, so if you're asking about noise level, go with 4" straight pipe.

1997 F350 SRW CCLB 7.3 ZF5 4x4
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 10:26 PM
PSN Local

I've had two different 4" straight pipes, one with a race tune and one without, the one with the race tune is just rediculous compared to the one without. Though I so prefer the one with the louder exhaust. It does get really really loud. Been pulled over for it.

2006 CCSB
ARP's 4"
MBRP STRAIGHT PIPE
EGR DELETE
SCT 3015 ID
PORTED INTAKE
MBRP INTAKE ELBOW AND CAC PIPES
COOLANT FILTER

1995 BRONCO 351W 4WD

1997 CCSB 7.3PSD 4WD CURRENTLY STOCK, WITH BUILT TRANSMISSION.

1991 CCLB DUALLY 7.3 IDI
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 10:31 PM
PSN Local

We have three 6.0's and they are all straight piped. It is only loud if you make it loud, your driving habits or tuning and driving habits like &3800.06 said. Ive been pulled over as well but it is all in the skinny pedal.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 01:11 AM
PSN Local

Under like 2k rpms it isn't bad. You can keep it quiet if you want. I have a 5" and unless its right to the floor its not bad. I have never had anyone say anything to me. The whistle is either annoying or awesome, depending on your taste. I'm happy with my straight pipe.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 01:46 AM
PSN Local

The 6.0 whistle is distinct. No other truck sounds like them. I have a straight pipe on my 6.4 and it doesn't have near the whistle that the 6.0's have.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 02:14 AM
06 FX4,4" Rough Country

x2 its only loud if u put ur foot into it, which is a good thing bc u can control when your truck becomes a monster haha. otherwise u just get the hiss and whistle of it. go for the straight pipe u wont regret it. and also go with 4".

06 F250 CCLB FX4, 173K, Egr delete, Blue spring, SCT performance tune, AFE cold air, 4" Rough Country, 35x12.50 Cooper STT m/t, Fuel Hostage 18x12 -44 offset, 4"dp into 5" Diamond Eye system
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 04:13 AM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

5" straight pipe on mine. It can get loud if you want it to, rediculously loud if you really mash on it. But like others have said, you can control how loud it gets. Just a nice rumble inside the cab. I can easily talk to my kids in the back seat. Now, drive by a wall with the windows down and mash on it....you'll definitely know there's no muffler under there! For some reason mine is at its "most rediculous" around 2750rpms.

My only complaint is when towing. Certain rpms really drone in the cab. We took a trip from Tennessee to Colorado last year with trailer in tow. That drone got real old driving across Kansas at 75-80mph.

I say do it. If its too loud for you, you can always add a muffler later on.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode