Aftermarket sensor placement - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Garage
Aftermarket sensor placement

I've got a boost and a tranny temp sensor I need to place. For the boost, is there already a place I can use on the manifold or will I have to drill and tap the CAC tube? As for the tranny, do I just T off where the stock sensor goes on a 5R110 or is there an alternative? Did a little searching and didn't find the answer, but I'll keep looking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Re: Aftermarket sensor placement

here

http://www.dieselmanor.com/installations/default.asp

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 10:09 PM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

^^^ much easier than trying to explain where.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Garage

That works! Thanks. Though when I got the reply and went looking I found that there isn't a customer access harness anywhere to be found. And I pulled panels off, reached up inside, traced every harness, etc. My only thought is the previous owner had used it for something and then when he removed the accessory he either tucked it into a black hole or cut the damn thing off somewhere. I got what I needed though. :) Gauges are hooked up, just have to install the sensors now.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 11:00 PM
Administrator

the customer access wires are thoughtful but just as easy to run a new wire IMHO than find both ends of those and have a connector at both ends

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Garage

I wound up pulling the fuse panel and pulled the fuse labeled as "Customer Access". I then pulled the connectors off the back and did a continuity check to find the pin. Found the correct wire and used that as my switched power. And yes, I used the wire that comes AFTER the fuse, not the lead that's hot going into the fuse. As for unswitched, I just tapped into the cigarette lighter power. It's rated at 10 amps and I never use the thing anyway. Ground was easy and using the recommended wire on that site for my illumination source I was able to get the gauges all hooked up electrically. I did the fuel pressure sensor (which is a bit of a pain without taking off a bunch of crap) and will get the trans temp tomorrow....maybe boost as well. EGT will have to wait until I get the top end torn apart and have the turbo removed (top end as in turbo, oil cooler, hoses, etc) so I don't have to worry about leaving drill shavings inside the exhaust which might get into the turbo's inner workings.

Thanks for the help guys!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 03:00 AM
Banned

Nice link Zmann!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 01:18 PM
Administrator

i use that link so much i feel like i need to buy something lol
it was decent of them to spend the time on those articles IMHO

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Garage

I have to admit, those pictures they provided are invaluable! Trans port was easy to find because of the pic. Without it, I would have been looking all over the darn thing trying to figure out what was what. The hardest part of doing the trans temp and boost sensors was torquing down the intake elbow to the right torque. 23 ft-lbs just seems like so much for those little bolts!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 11:35 PM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

It's not those little bolts you have to worry about. It's the fact that you are threading them into an aluminum intake. Easy to booger up those threads if you overtighten.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode