To head stud or not.....that is the question - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

To head stud or not.....that is the question

I am new to psn and please forgive me if I am committing the dreaded "there's already posts about that" mistake...

I recently bought a 2004 f250 6.0. I am a gasser turned dieseler and proud to have made the switch!! My truck is 4x4 bone stock except a manga flow exhaust and upgraded intake. I love the sound of that turbo whistling!! Truck has 90 k miles.

Everyone (especially the local diesel shop) are telling me that I MUST do the egr delete, arp head studs, etc... It will be almost 5k to do all of this but I am told it is only a matter of time until the head studs fail on me. If I don't try to turn the truck into a track star, is this 5k upgrade needed? Granted they are going to give me a custom tune and the truck will be bada$$, I wonder if I might not be better off keeping it stock until problems. I pull my 7k# work trailer DAILY with it so I don't know if the performance is the way to go. I have the 5k ready to spend, but I would rather get some better wheels and tires and maybe a lift with my money...(I'm sorry but I HATE the look of my stock 16" wheels and tires)

Please give your opinions and sorry again if this is a tired subject here......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 02:22 AM
JGman141

Re: To head stud or not.....that is the question

If I was in your situation I would have the studs and egr delete done, these are reliability mods that help keep the truck on the road. I personally would buy my own sct tuner and get custom tunes from any of the vendors here instead of letting the shop do it.

2004 6.0 ccsb Warren 430/150 hybrids, Warren Comp Trans, Warren Dual Hpop, Billet S475 w/race cover, Marty's A1000 Fuel System, Colt Stage 2, and all the other supporting stuff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 02:47 AM
PSN Veteran

Don't stud it until they go bad, and it should be more then 3500 total for stud egr delete installed with an sct and custom tune. Do your wheels and tire lift etc. those hg 's might never go bad lol! Things I would do now...
Coolant filtration system
Exhaust
Sct programmer
Call drew at backroadperformance
If your gaskets go bad do a ported intake at the same time

Pmax & batmowheel
Banks technicooler
Arp's
Warren 175/75's
Fass titanium 125 w/ sump
Volant intake
5" mrbp turbo back 6" tip
Reg. return w/6.4 banjos and oil and coolant filter
Sct itsx on iPad w/ Drew's tunes
Idp ficm tune
Snow water/meth
Empty bank account

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 02:48 AM
PSN Veteran

Sorry you already have exhaust you're half way there lol

Pmax & batmowheel
Banks technicooler
Arp's
Warren 175/75's
Volant intake
Idp ficm tune
Snow water/meth
Empty bank account
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks! I want the tune but as I said, I have been warned not to do a tune w/o studs because it can further the problems....... I believe "if it ain't broke font fix it" but I also don't want to do anything to break it!!!! Can a stock 6.0 survive performance tunes?? I hate to do the studs if it ain't broke!!!!!! Thanks guts so much!!!!!
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 03:07 AM
Wyo
scouts out...

Stud it, delete it, tune it. My advise is while you have the money just do it, because it is just a matter if time, and life has a funny way of having a truck break down just after funds have gone tight. LoL. I would also suggest ONLY a SCT tuner, I'm biased but a livewire is nice because it tunes and monitors, would also suggest an ITSX they are both SCT tuners/monitors and do a really good job. Use custom tunes from a proven company like those listed here, countless 6.0 trucks run them without issue. I have tunes saved on my livewire for both performance and towing. It is night and day difference, you will really think you have a different truck in both towing and performance.

2007 CC, Lariat, 6.0L, TreadWright guard dogs, straight piped out the back, egr delete, blue spring, 6.4 banjo bolts, high idle mod(bcp), bulletproofed, SCT Livewire TS with Drews street runner(under development for high elevation), Innovative, and Vivian's tunes, ww2.
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 03:19 AM
PSN Newb

you can do what i did. wait till a problem then do it all. i had the oil cooler fail, so went ahead and did studs, egr delete, and all the rest of the good stuff.
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 03:01 PM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

You never know how long HG's will last on a 6.0 Some guys run hot tunes on stock bolts and last for years, but then other guys blow the HG on their bone stock truck. I've been running Eric's AggStreet tune on stock bolts for nearly 2 years with no issues at all. But, I don't beat the crap out of the truck daily either. EGR delete... if you don't have emissions to deal with.... I'd say do it. Clogged EGR coolers are a big reason why HG's fail. Delete it and you'll never have to worry about that. If you plan on owning the truck forever like most of us, go on and do the studs. That way you know that issue should never arise again, and later down the road if you do decide to add some power, you'll be safe.

Just my $.02, but I am far from an expert.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 03:38 PM
PSN Local

Why would you say its more than 3500? My shop STARTS out at 3200 for a basic head job (Delete/arp/oem gaskets all the way up)
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 05:17 PM
PSN Veteran

I meant shouldn't be more than $3500 total I can do it for $3000 here.

Pmax & batmowheel
Banks technicooler
Arp's
Warren 175/75's
Volant intake
Idp ficm tune
Snow water/meth
Empty bank account

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode