egr questions - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

egr questions

I have several egr questions... were can i find the most informative information on egr delete? I was told by my mechanic today that the 03-04 do not need the up pipe replaced.. I want to do egr delete and replace the oil cooler and do it myself but i am as some would say trying to do my homework.. do i really need the egr cooler replaced? what it the difference between an egr delete with up-pipe and egr delete with cap? As i said just have several questions.. Thanks for any advice or help...

2004 F350 DRW FX4 Banks Six Gun Tuner,Egr delete, Adrenaline pump, Banks air, 4 inch straight pipe exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 03:58 AM
PSN Local

Re: egr questions

You said yourself, cap the factory or do like most would do and replace the uppipe. 05's and up have a scoop I believe but regardless hit up One of site sponsors for a kit. Keep searching for info and also clean that turbo up a bit while you have it all out maybe. Get rid of the banks stuff. Sct with Gearhead or innovative ahh search buddy all this info is out there. I'm out.

08. ccsb. Gearhead MCC. No Limit. sdp. flo-pro. arp. darkhorse. twisted. Midwest Diesel.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

That's kinda why I'm asking here.... If I cap it do I just pull the valve and cap.or what is actually done? Is it really required to have an up-pipe?

2004 F350 DRW FX4 Banks Six Gun Tuner,Egr delete, Adrenaline pump, Banks air, 4 inch straight pipe exhaust

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 11:46 AM
PSN Local

I would not recommend using the hockey puck on the y-pipe. The egr cooler is a support bracket for the y-pipe, without it there is a lot more vibration and the flex pipe is known to crack.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 03:26 PM
'05 Excursion

I kind of agree but there are a HUGE number of guys that have removed the EGR cooler and have had no issues with their bellows. IDK, maybe it all depends on how rough you are taking things apart to get the cooler out?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

SCT, no studs...yet, Dual OEM intake air filter housings, Banks intercooler & intake elbow, Banks exhaust syatem, Windrunner ported intake manifold, Bullet Proof Diesel remote oil cooler & thermostat, AirDog2 (plus a couple spares), Power steering filter (Amsoil dual-bypass), MagTec deep ATF pan, Electric oil pre-lub pump, Dakota Digital gauges.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Ok so if I pull the valve and cap.it.. do I still need to change the cooler out?

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 05:27 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

subscribed!
i was under the assumption that IFF the egr cooler is still in there with both in & out blocked off, it can still pop a leak...

...and about that scoop in the up pipe: https://powerstrokenation.com/forums/...ad.php?t=59013
see the pics in the first post - that scoop is takes up a lot more cross section than i had previously thought lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Ok I don't know if this make.sense or not... I can tear anything down and put back together never been a problem for me.... but I'm a little slow at understanding at times.. what I don't understand is if I pull the egr valve do I need to pull the whole tube and replace it or not? Can I pull the valve and cap it? Or is there other things that need to be done? I've been told by a few that all they did was pull the valve and cap it and they run programmers and tuners and have no issues... not trying to be a pain just wanting to do my home work and understand everything before I do it...

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 06:10 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

the question makes sense to me! but i'd like to know the answer just the same as you haha!

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 06:52 PM
'05 Excursion

There is an exhaust plug you can buy on eBay for around $75 but ideally you should weld plugs on both ends of the cooler then if it leaks it doesn't go anywhere. Some flash versions don't give a code and also some flash versions will not allow the fan clutch to reach full engagement if the EGR valve is not electrically connected.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

SCT, no studs...yet, Dual OEM intake air filter housings, Banks intercooler & intake elbow, Banks exhaust syatem, Windrunner ported intake manifold, Bullet Proof Diesel remote oil cooler & thermostat, AirDog2 (plus a couple spares), Power steering filter (Amsoil dual-bypass), MagTec deep ATF pan, Electric oil pre-lub pump, Dakota Digital gauges.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode