Head gaskets round 2 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Head gaskets round 2

So when I got the truck back in 2012 it had 30k miles on it and was still under warranty. I had our diesel guy at the dealership do the job for me... heads were never checked as he said they would be fine and the head gaskets werent actually blown at the time. Well yesterday I was under the hood replacing the belt and noticed a couple dried coolant spots on the degas bottle. I removed the cap and it was a little crispy with coolant. Naturally I freak out about this so im a little worried. If I do have to do head gaskets again I would like to try doing it myself (would like to pull the cab so I can do a nice clean job) but I need to know a couple things-
- Can I re use the ARP head studs?
- I will be sending the heads to a local machine shop to be checked for flatness... I have heard many say you can machine them but ive heard meany (including Ford) say you cant. So whats the verdict on that? Btw truck is still under extended warrenty so I can get new heads if they are out of spec.

2007 F250 SCLB. Studs, EGR delete, MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust, SCT w/ custom tunes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 05:02 AM
PSN Local

Re: Head gaskets round 2

The heads can be machined but there is a very tight tolerance for what can be taken off them. Make sure you have a shop that knows what they are doing if they need machined flat. I would also have them magnafluxed for hair line cracks. I have heard that ARP studs can be reused but I would call and check with ARP to be on the safe side rather have to redo the heads again.

09 SCREW 4X4
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

If they are out of spec. should I just forget machining them and get new heads from ford?

2007 F250 SCLB. Studs, EGR delete, MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust, SCT w/ custom tunes

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 05:38 PM
PSN Newb

I bought new factory heads and still had them machined.

I had heard that it was a good thing to do because even new ones are not always flat and I did not want to take any chances.

F350 Harley Davidson 4x4 Crew Cab Short Box. ARP Studs, Hog Performance 4" 304 Stainless Exhaust, Mishimoto Intercooler and Radiator, Coolant Filter, Extreme X & Mild FICM Tune. Edge CTS w/ EGT and Fuel Pressure. 2011 Rear Bumper Powder Coated Competition Orange, Bed Rug, Truxedo Tonneau Cover.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 02:37 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by coal_burner07 View Post
If they are out of spec. should I just forget machining them and get new heads from ford?
If you can get new heads under warranty why wouldn't you? Avoid the issue of a possible cracked head, issues with fuel in the coolant etc.

I work at a dealer as well, Ford says no machining but we have had them skimmed and I never had any issues with them coming back. As stated as long as the machine shop knows what they are doing and just do a light cut, you will be fine. BUT new heads = new valves, springs and seats so why not go new for cheap!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode