Boost Pressure - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Boost Pressure

I have a 2004 6.0L with an MBRP 5" turbo back straight pipe exhaust. I recently purchased the SCT Livewire TS from Innovative. I love the programmer and all of its options, but I started watching the gauges and the boost gauge reads around 15psi at idle and can easily jump to 35 under mild-aggressive acceleration (note that I am running the IDP Extreme Street tune). I know the gauge is reading from the MAP sensor which also takes into consideration atmospheric pressure, so should I subtract 15 every time I look at this gauge to "zero out" the reading? It just made me nervous thinking I'm getting into the 35-40psi range! This is my first post but I have already learned a lot from jumping around the forum, thank you for any help I really appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 07:06 PM
Banned

Re: Boost Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZ250F12154 View Post
I have a 2004 6.0L with an MBRP 5" turbo back straight pipe exhaust. I recently purchased the SCT Livewire TS from Innovative. I love the programmer and all of its options, but I started watching the gauges and the boost gauge reads around 15psi at idle and can easily jump to 35 under mild-aggressive acceleration (note that I am running the IDP Extreme Street tune). I know the gauge is reading from the MAP sensor which also takes into consideration atmospheric pressure, so should I subtract 15 every time I look at this gauge to "zero out" the reading? It just made me nervous thinking I'm getting into the 35-40psi range! This is my first post but I have already learned a lot from jumping around the forum, thank you for any help I really appreciate it!
This is why I dont like innovatives tuneing.

My gauge allways reads about 1-2 psi at idel never 15?
Ive boosted to 36 many times. Never to 40. Its inefficient for the turbo

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I don't think it has to do with Innovative's tune, I think it has to do with the reading coming off the MAP sensor since the MAP also includes atmospheric pressure. I think I need to subtract 15 (or whatever barometric pressure is) every time I read the boost gauge on my Livewire. I was getting similar boost readings with the stock tune.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 07:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZ250F12154 View Post
I don't think it has to do with Innovative's tune, I think it has to do with the reading coming off the MAP sensor since the MAP also includes atmospheric pressure. I think I need to subtract 15 (or whatever barometric pressure is) every time I read the boost gauge on my Livewire. I was getting similar boost readings with the stock tune.
Shure its comeing off the map sensor. Dosent explain why ur idels at 15 and a dozen guys I no idel at 1-2. Innovative has over boosted a bunch of guys trucks I no.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 07:34 PM
JGman141

Sounds like a bad map sensor to me, turn it back to stock and see if it still does it.

2004 6.0 ccsb Warren 430/150 hybrids, Warren Comp Trans, Warren Dual Hpop, Billet S475 w/race cover, Marty's A1000 Fuel System, Colt Stage 2, and all the other supporting stuff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

From the reading I've done it appears the boost reading I get on the Livewire is including atmospheric pressure since it is reading from the MAP. Since atmospheric pressure is around 15, if the Livewire is reading 40psi I'm really getting 25 pounds of boost.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 10:18 AM
PSN Local

I've had this happen to me when I ran NLTD tunes with my new setup 190/100 ans mtw stage 3.. And shifted like a bucking bronco.... only on their tunes though...I don't think it's possible to do 40 psi with a stock 04 turbo

Dan / Dando
04 F-250 CCSB, she's got stuff...
DieselShopCT.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode