Why is my truck rolling coal? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Wyo
scouts out...

Why is my truck rolling coal?

So I recently purchased a bran new SCT Livewire TS. I am running the performance tune. It has been cold and icy here in Wyoming until recently so I haven't been able to really lay into it and test the waters so to speak until about two days ago. I have had the performance tune loaded for two weeks but never took the engine load over about 40-50% because of the road conditions. Well things dried up and I let the dog eat, poof big black cloud. Not the entire time, just until the turbo cleaned it up but a this normal? This is my first tuner but the rest of my mods are listed. Just wanting to make sure this is a normal-ish type thing. I did buy the truck used but as far as I know it was stock when I got it , so in theory what I have listed should be the only mods.

2007 CC, Lariat, 6.0L, TreadWright guard dogs, straight piped out the back, egr delete, blue spring, 6.4 banjo bolts, high idle mod(bcp), bulletproofed, SCT Livewire TS with Drews street runner(under development for high elevation), Innovative, and Vivian's tunes, ww2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Wyo
scouts out...

Re: Why is my truck rolling coal?

I do understand smoke is a by product of making power, I guess being that I'm not into rollin coal I wasn't expecting as much as it does.

2007 CC, Lariat, 6.0L, TreadWright guard dogs, straight piped out the back, egr delete, blue spring, 6.4 banjo bolts, high idle mod(bcp), bulletproofed, SCT Livewire TS with Drews street runner(under development for high elevation), Innovative, and Vivian's tunes, ww2.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 02:15 AM
PSN Veteran

Are you running a canned tune? It sounds like you tune is over fueling the truck smoke is normal on performance tunes when the turbo can't clean the fuel up I would adjust your tune

Pmax & batmowheel
Banks technicooler
Arp's
Warren 175/75's
Fass titanium 125 w/ sump
Volant intake
5" mrbp turbo back 6" tip
Reg. return w/6.4 banjos and oil and coolant filter
Sct itsx on iPad w/ Drew's tunes
Idp ficm tune
Snow water/meth
Empty bank account

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 02:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Dstorm View Post
Are you running a canned tune? It sounds like you tune is over fueling the truck smoke is normal on performance tunes when the turbo can't clean the fuel up I would adjust your tune
He said until the turbo cleaned it up.

Smoke on the sct canned tune is normal. Just a little.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 02:23 AM
PSN Veteran

He also said he NO LIKEY the smoke so he needs to adjust his tune

Pmax & batmowheel
Banks technicooler
Arp's
Warren 175/75's
Fass titanium 125 w/ sump
Volant intake
5" mrbp turbo back 6" tip
Reg. return w/6.4 banjos and oil and coolant filter
Sct itsx on iPad w/ Drew's tunes
Idp ficm tune
Snow water/meth
Empty bank account
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Wyo
scouts out...

Yes it's the canned tune titled performance on the livewire, from what I can read on the monitor side everything seems to be functioning fine, so I really couldn't come up with a malfunction that is causing it, just wanted to see if anyone else had this issue? I was expecting a certain amount of smoke I guess being new to a tuner I didn't know what really to expect out of the canned tune. The truck is far faster then it was, and the turbo does catch up and clean the smoke up to normal.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 02:32 AM
JGman141

Try running the street tune until you can get a custom one to your liking.

2004 6.0 ccsb Warren 430/150 hybrids, Warren Comp Trans, Warren Dual Hpop, Billet S475 w/race cover, Marty's A1000 Fuel System, Colt Stage 2, and all the other supporting stuff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 02:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Dstorm View Post
He also said he NO LIKEY the smoke so he needs to adjust his tune
Im not gonna get into a argument with you. He stated hes not into rollin coal. A little smoke is to be expected on just about any tune other then stock.

I guess we have different outlooks on rolling coal lolol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Wyo
scouts out...

I was expecting a certain level of coal to be rolled, but maybe our look on alittle bit is different. Here is my concern if I'm doing 10mph and mash the go petal the car behind me has disappeared in a cloud of smoke. I was concerned because during my research nobody had mentioned this.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 02:42 AM
JGman141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyo View Post
I was expecting a certain level of coal to be rolled, but maybe our look on alittle bit is different. Here is my concern if I'm doing 10mph and mash the go petal the car behind me has disappeared in a cloud of smoke. I was concerned because during my research nobody had mentioned this.
Yea that's normal because the turbo hadn't caught up to the fuel. Like I said just switch to the street tune until you can get a custom one

2004 6.0 ccsb Warren 430/150 hybrids, Warren Comp Trans, Warren Dual Hpop, Billet S475 w/race cover, Marty's A1000 Fuel System, Colt Stage 2, and all the other supporting stuff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode