Another 6.0 Headgasket thread, Questions from a newbie - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Another 6.0 Headgasket thread, Questions from a newbie

So i'm going to be ordering all the stuff I need for my headgasket job on my 04 Excursion 6.0

My lack of organizing skills and my ADD get the best of me. So please don't mind if I ask the same question that 100 other people have at random.

Where are the best places to find all of this stuff? I have a local dealer ship that i can get the factory stuff for 20% off. and the rest i plan on buying online but don't know whom to go with.

I need

Headgasket kit

T-Stat and gasket

Serp belt

Glow plug harness Both sides

DC alternator

ARP studs

Injectors (I'm not sure if i shouldn't just wait on this step)

Turbo (Same, Internal damage minimum, but various chunks missing from the fins and mild pitting on the unison rings and vanes working fine for now, but will this cause an issue under normal driving conditions?)

I have the Bulletproof oilcooler setup and the EGR cooler ( Will buying the delete screw with WA emissions / Will it benefit me to delete the EGR valve ?)

What gaskets are not commonly supplied with the headgasket kit?

Cat ELC-1 coolant

I'm on a "Budget", a budget of a 6.0 owner... I want to do it right, but not go overboard with things until it's needed.

Do i wait on the injectors and turbo until later?

thanks!

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 01:40 AM
The Muscle Hamster

Re: Another 6.0 Headgasket thread, Questions from a newbie

Doing the head gasket job on my own. If you're looking for a ball park number, I'm done buying parts, fluids, and the odds&ends for $2500.

Head gaskets from ford come in a kit that does only one side. The kit has the gasket, head bolts, and mine came with the oil stand pipe.

2005 F250 w 6.0 PSD
SCT X3 - Innovative Tunes, Edge Insight CTS, aFe Intake, 4" DP - 5" StraightPipe, Level Kit w 36" Toyo MTs, BPD Oil Cooler, BPD Water Pump, ARPs, freshened and updated turbo, 6.4 Banjos, Blue Spring, CCV Mod, Fumoto Valves (coolant plugs), Mobil DelVac 5w40, CAT EC-1
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 08:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker727 View Post
So i'm going to be ordering all the stuff I need for my headgasket job on my 04 Excursion 6.0

My lack of organizing skills and my ADD get the best of me. So please don't mind if I ask the same question that 100 other people have at random.

Where are the best places to find all of this stuff? I have a local dealer ship that i can get the factory stuff for 20% off. and the rest i plan on buying online but don't know whom to go with.

I need

Headgasket kit

T-Stat and gasket

Serp belt

Glow plug harness Both sides

DC alternator

ARP studs

Injectors (I'm not sure if i shouldn't just wait on this step)

Turbo (Same, Internal damage minimum, but various chunks missing from the fins and mild pitting on the unison rings and vanes working fine for now, but will this cause an issue under normal driving conditions?)

I have the Bulletproof oilcooler setup and the EGR cooler ( Will buying the delete screw with WA emissions / Will it benefit me to delete the EGR valve ?)

What gaskets are not commonly supplied with the headgasket kit?

Cat ELC-1 coolant

I'm on a "Budget", a budget of a 6.0 owner... I want to do it right, but not go overboard with things until it's needed.

Do i wait on the injectors and turbo until later?

thanks!

Nick
Really if ur wanting to do anything to the truck do it while u have everything apart. Hate to put it all back together and then have to take it apart again..
The turbo if ur missing chunks Id definitely do something with it.

Id add the 6.4 banjo bolts.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 10:35 AM
Strokin Roughneck

Send a message via Yahoo to txdieselmech84

I would stay away from 6.4 banjo bolts a ford tech told me they could cause injector failure.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 11:14 AM
The Muscle Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdieselmech84 View Post
I would stay away from 6.4 banjo bolts a ford tech told me they could cause injector failure.
Did he explain? I don't doubt someone told you that, but it doesn't make sense to me and would like to know his reasoning

2005 F250 w 6.0 PSD
SCT X3 - Innovative Tunes, Edge Insight CTS, aFe Intake, 4" DP - 5" StraightPipe, Level Kit w 36" Toyo MTs, BPD Oil Cooler, BPD Water Pump, ARPs, freshened and updated turbo, 6.4 Banjos, Blue Spring, CCV Mod, Fumoto Valves (coolant plugs), Mobil DelVac 5w40, CAT EC-1
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 11:24 AM
"Slap hands slap hands"

I completely disagree with that how could putting the 6.4 banjo bolts which will increase fuel flow especially at WOT cause injector failure. It actually if anything is a preventative and does the exact opposite potentially lengthening the life of the injectors by making sure they are getting the proper amount of fuel. I did extensive research on this as well as asked my diesel mechanic who worked at Ford on diesels for 13+ years specifically the 6.0s for the majority of this and he reccomend I get them as well as has them on his truck. I have never seen a thread or issue with anyone saying 6.4 banjo bolts lead to failing injectors. Just my .02 cents.

JB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 11:45 AM
PSN Local

Ford head gaskets are good. We use them plus installing ARP headstuds. Like stated you only get one in a kit, so you will need two kits. If interested, I have two victor reinz kits here that I will send you one for the shipping. They are the 18mm dowels. If you get a discount at Ford, then use the injector harnesses, and thermostats, and what ever other parts you can get. If doing injectors, get Alliant Power or Industrial Injection ones. Those are what we use here at the shop. If doing a turbo upgrade, the Powermax is a great option. They work well and spool nice. If using the same one, try installing a new compressor wheel and cleaning the unison ring. I think you will be happier with using a Powermax turbo. You are spending a few $$ anyway, do the job right. Buy once, cry once. Not sure what your emissions law are but I would delete the EGR cooler and valve if possible.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 05:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmy952 View Post
Ford head gaskets are good. We use them plus installing ARP headstuds. Like stated you only get one in a kit, so you will need two kits. If interested, I have two victor reinz kits here that I will send you one for the shipping. They are the 18mm dowels. If you get a discount at Ford, then use the injector harnesses, and thermostats, and what ever other parts you can get. If doing injectors, get Alliant Power or Industrial Injection ones. Those are what we use here at the shop. If doing a turbo upgrade, the Powermax is a great option. They work well and spool nice. If using the same one, try installing a new compressor wheel and cleaning the unison ring. I think you will be happier with using a Powermax turbo. You are spending a few $$ anyway, do the job right. Buy once, cry once. Not sure what your emissions law are but I would delete the EGR cooler and valve if possible.
Or go to jesse warren at warren diesel for injectors

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I've heard alot of good things about Warren injectors, Like wise with MTW turbo.

while i'm trying to replace any thing that needs to be, I don't feel like spending the most money on each option.

I already have an SCT tuner, (Which is were i think my problem started for me)

Thanks everyone for the heads up on the head gaskets one per box.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 11:08 PM
PSN Local

so ive got 2 head gasket kits from international I bought,didnt know you get head gaskets when you buy ford reman heads,ill look up what I paid and make you a deal,im in Woodinville,no frieght

1996 cclb,3inch rsk,diy air cleaner,diy tugger kit,3 inch dp,4.10s,kmc 20s--gone and I miss her

2004 ccsb,6 inch lift ,37 toyos,sinister egr delete,arp studs,ARB bull bumper,oem heads with oem gaskets,atlas 80 and premium ficm from ficmrepair.sctx2 innovative tunes,pioneer app radio 3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode