Can a tune make my truck coast better? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Can a tune make my truck coast better?

I have an 04 F350. Every day on my commute home, there are two spots on the road where I can coast down hill for about 2 miles. To get the whole way, I have to put the truck in neutral. If I leave it in drive I have to give it some throttle along the way.

Considering exhaust braking and other trans adjustments can help with towing and be tuned in, can you do the opposite? Are there any tunes that will allow my truck to coast farther, without putting it into neutral? It's completely stock, as of now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 07:29 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Can a tune make my truck coast better?

......lol

01 ccsb

90 5.0 coupe- HCI, paxton blower

08 mazdaspeed 3- cobb intake, cobb springs, catback, 18's

07 srt8 jeep-CAI,lowered,22s

14 rzr1000- stock
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 07:53 PM
Administrator

i never noticed usually have it in tow haul so I actually don't have to brake while going down hill
i guess you have a slight grade ?

not a request that ever comes up as far as I have read

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 10:03 PM
PursuitInterceptor

Very unusual. Do you perform this drive with the Cruise Control on??

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people my friend....those with loaded guns, and those who dig.

You dig.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

What's weird about wanting better fuel mileage? It's a big chunk of my commute every single day that I get for free. I come home in the middle of the night on a country highway so there is nobody else on the road, I can coast as slow as I want. Not using the cruise control, I just try to minimize the use of both pedals as much as possible.

I just wish it would coast better in drive...I guess there is a good bit of engine braking going on even with the tow/haul mode off.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 04:39 AM
local idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number21 View Post
What's weird about wanting better fuel mileage? It's a big chunk of my commute every single day that I get for free. I come home in the middle of the night on a country highway so there is nobody else on the road, I can coast as slow as I want. Not using the cruise control, I just try to minimize the use of both pedals as much as possible.

I just wish it would coast better in drive...I guess there is a good bit of engine braking going on even with the tow/haul mode off.
this is going to sound mean but its not intended that way. You bought a diesel, 3/4 ton maybe even a 1 ton truck. Usually fuel mileage isn't a concern. I understand that you want the most out of everything you have (who doesn't). with that being said, I don't believe a tune could help with your coasting ability. if you knock it up in neutral to get fuel mileage then what you are essentially relying on are the aerodynamics of the truck and the condition of wheel/axle bearings, as well as hoping your calipers aren't sticking enough to cause excess drag on the rotor. that's about it really. I wish there was something that could help you but I just don't see it, maybe one of the vets here could chime in. good luck with your search
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

You do know this forum has a whole section dedicated to fuel economy, right? Maybe I should have posted this there....

I bought a diesel truck because it gets much better mileage than a gas truck and I bought an F350 because it's just about the smallest truck you can buy in the US with a diesel. I would love to have an F150 with a 6 cylinder diesel but they won't let me have that.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 09:01 AM
Banned

Ask an SCT custom tuner. I'm sure someone could make a file like that for you.
Something to mention is that it is not good to let your engine run at idle for too long...

Sent from my Smart Car
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 01:28 AM
diesel fiend

The only way to get what your after is higher axle gearing . It will coast in gear and not wind down . Like a 3.08 or so gear . But all your towing and around town power and mileage will go out the window .

05 F350 9" 4 link , 37's , 4.56 's php and gearhead tuned
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 02:21 AM
PSN Local

My math maybe off but if you average 15mpg and fuel is $4 a gallon for easy math, assuming you can only coast one way down the bill on your trip, that's roughly .52 cents saving. How much committing would you have to do to justify buying the tune if someone could do it.

2008 F-250
- MPD Single
- MPD Built Tranny
- Tunes by Eric/RCD

1997 F-350 2wd
- 707 Conversion Crew Cab Dually
- Ts Tuner Tuned by Eric
- MagTec Tins

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode