6.0 normal coolant pressure - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

6.0 normal coolant pressure

What is normal coolant pressure at idle after 20 mins of driving highway..mine is 8psi

04 f350 cc sb 4x4
Motor from 05 6.0
trans from 06 f350
35" tires nitto terra grappler
3" leveling kit
blocked off and welded egr cooler
black onyx and arp studs
blue spring upgrade
racor water/fuel filter
4" turbo back straight pipe
rebuilt turbo
ford racing gauges
valvoline extreme blue 5w40
Cat elc-1 coolant
265,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 01:31 PM
JGman141

Re: 6.0 normal coolant pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydiesel04 View Post
What is normal coolant pressure at idle after 20 mins of driving highway..mine is 8psi
That's well within range, just don't want to see it at 15 becuase then you have a whole different problem.

2004 6.0 ccsb Warren 430/150 hybrids, Warren Comp Trans, Warren Dual Hpop, Billet S475 w/race cover, Marty's A1000 Fuel System, Colt Stage 2, and all the other supporting stuff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 01:35 PM
Vtwinrunning

Bottom line is, the higher the temperature the more problems you are going to have. 8 is great just make sure it stays below 15. You want to make sure your coolant tank cap is not leaking pressure and giving you a false reading. Best way is to test it or just buy a new one and verify it reads the same as the old one. Anything above 15 will indicate you got a leaking EGR or head gasket

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 06:26 PM
local idiot

what if I drive my truck and my pressure, once warmed up, is always at 13-14 psi? my head gaskets are good. my oil cooler is clogged and im thinking that's the problem, the water pump is basically being dead headed due to the restriction in the cooler.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 07:36 PM
PSN Local

Drive around and get the truck warmed up all the way. Then open up the cap carefully on the degas bottle to let out all the pressure. Then go for a spirited drive. Do a couple of 0-65 WOT runs... if it gets back above 10-15psi then you know there is a problem. Might not be headgaskets but something is wrong.

The coolant can only expand so much. After it is warmed up and you let out the gas then it should not expand much more. This would more than likely mean blown headgaskets or leaking egr cooler
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 09:24 PM
local idiot

I don't have an egr cooler with that being said, ive checked for nitrous oxides in the coolant fumes (would indicate combustion gasses in the coolant) and I have found nothing.

Also, with what you are saying about the pressure release. I agree to a point, but when you release the pressure on a sealed system at 190*F, as the pressure drops, the temp will drop as well. now I know it will not drop tremendously but the temp will drop. then when you drive the vehicle again, the pressure will build back up due to thermal expansion. The kicker is.... how much will it increase????

Along with your statement that it could be the headgaskets or egr cooler, I do agree to n extent but I A.am not seeing pressure increases with accelerator increases, B. not puking any coolant through the degas bottle, and C. finding no combustion gasses in my coolant system.

thank you for responding, I need every possible angle I can to figure this out with my truck
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 05:14 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServiceTech View Post
I don't have an egr cooler with that being said, ive checked for nitrous oxides in the coolant fumes (would indicate combustion gasses in the coolant) and I have found nothing.
It often does not show up.

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 01:37 AM
local idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewd11 View Post
It often does not show up.
hmmmm...... good call. well, I guess headgaskets it is then
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I was seeing 6-8 for a year and 3 months after studs and black onyx gaskets but then 2 weeks ago i see 12 and now 16 every drive..if i release pressure and drive another 5 miles it goes back to 16 psi..guessing head gaskets since egr is blocked off..
Also no coolant loss overheating or puking..

If i pull engine again and decided to replace lifters while apart do i have to replace rear main seal..also can i reuse studs since the bottom ones have surface rust on tips and nuts

04 f350 cc sb 4x4
Motor from 05 6.0
trans from 06 f350
35" tires nitto terra grappler
3" leveling kit
blocked off and welded egr cooler
black onyx and arp studs
blue spring upgrade
racor water/fuel filter
4" turbo back straight pipe
rebuilt turbo
ford racing gauges
valvoline extreme blue 5w40
Cat elc-1 coolant
265,000 miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode