5R MODIFIED DIRECT CLUTCH SOLENOID INFO - Page 4 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 103 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
EDP
PSN Veteran

Re: 5R MODIFIED DIRECT CLUTCH SOLENOID INFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Term3 View Post
Looks like I'll be buying a new solenoid as these don't look like real Go-Go ones as there's only two holes on the end.
Attachment 108330
Attachment 108338
Where did you purchase it from? Its hard to tell but it almost looks like somebody tried grinding off the numbers on it...??...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 103 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 01:35 PM
'05 Excursion

From a guy on the forum a while back that said they were new GoGo modified solenoids and yes the part number on the end is ground off.

SCT, no studs...yet, Dual OEM intake air filter housings, Banks intercooler & intake elbow, Banks exhaust syatem, Windrunner ported intake manifold, Bullet Proof Diesel remote oil cooler & thermostat, AirDog2 (plus a couple spares), Power steering filter (Amsoil dual-bypass), MagTec deep ATF pan, Electric oil pre-lub pump, Dakota Digital gauges.
post #33 of 103 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 10:56 PM
PSN Local

I purchased a solenoid from Empire this week.. and installed it this weekend.. couldn't have been easier... but i do have an issue.. with the new solenoid installed.. i have an delayed engagement into gear when i put it in drive or Reverse. truck doesn't move until i step on the skinny pedal and then it jumps into gear.. my first thought was fluid was low.. so triple checked, and that was good. once in gear it performs fine, and the shifts seem firmer. Road around and rechecked fluid.. and all was good. Parked truck, 2 hours later, i started it and put it in gear and it had the delayed engagement again. Not wanting to risk damaging the trans, i drained fluid and removed the solenoid and replaced it with the stock unit. Once filled with fluid,... i tested and my issue with delayed engagement was gone. No issue. This was Saturday.. used new fluid and changed filter while i was in there with the original install of the new solenoid. Parked it over night.. tested it again this morning and no issue at all. So today (Sunday), i decided to Try the new solenoid again (lucky enough to have the free time today to fiddle).. and the exact same thing happened.. Delayed Engagement into Drive and reverse..i had to raise the RPMs to get the tranny to engage. Is it possible the Solenoid is defective? I have the stock one back in and tranny is performing perfect. Not sure what next step is... I am original owner of truck, no problems with it.. just figured i would swap to the upgraded part. I have regular services done on tranny, and am original owner, with 180K + on trans now. Never got a code or check engine light .. but didnt hook my AE up to run any diags.

Sorry for the long winded post... but not sure why i have the delayed engagement when the new unit is installed. .. any ideas or guidance?

Sean
2005 F250 Harley CC SB Banks IQ, 4" Exhaust, Banks Techi Cooler with High Ram, Cold Air Intake, Cat Delete,EGR Delete,Coolant Filter,Amsoil Oil Filter Bypass, PHP ECM Rollback, PHP FICM Tuner, WW2,Rancho 9000XL shocks. Firestone Air Springs w/Daystar Cradles. 224K

post #34 of 103 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 04:18 PM
PSN Local

Anyone have any thoughts? Can the DD solenoid cause a delayed Reverse\Drive Engagment? Running the original solenoid now for a couple days and trans is shifting fine. Not sure if i should exchange or return the Moded one. :/

Sean
2005 F250 Harley CC SB Banks IQ, 4" Exhaust, Banks Techi Cooler with High Ram, Cold Air Intake, Cat Delete,EGR Delete,Coolant Filter,Amsoil Oil Filter Bypass, PHP ECM Rollback, PHP FICM Tuner, WW2,Rancho 9000XL shocks. Firestone Air Springs w/Daystar Cradles. 224K
post #35 of 103 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 06:29 PM
PSN Veteran

Direct drive solenoid does not operate on a drive or reverse engagement. The direct clutch is applied through the manual valve in reverse, but does nothing on a drive engagement.

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #36 of 103 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 09:11 PM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

I have one of these at home that I bought a while back that never shifted right. 3-5 was so harsh that I was scared of breaking something, so I removed it in favor of a new stock solenoid. I need to take a look at it and see if maybe I got one of the knockoffs. I know when I contacted the company I bought it from (can't remember off top of my head), they had no desire to help me solve that harsh shifting issue. Was doing good to get any feedback from them. On vacation now...I'll check it when I'm back home.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.
post #37 of 103 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
EDP
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Term3 View Post
From a guy on the forum a while back that said they were new GoGo modified solenoids and yes the part number on the end is ground off.
We do not bother grinding the numbers off. Many will take that number and go and purchase a solenoid using that number but all they are purchasing is a DD solenoid un modified. All of our solenoids are modified in house and then tested before being sent out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx185sw View Post
I purchased a solenoid from Empire this week.. and installed it this weekend.. couldn't have been easier... but i do have an issue.. with the new solenoid installed.. i have an delayed engagement into gear when i put it in drive or Reverse. truck doesn't move until i step on the skinny pedal and then it jumps into gear.. my first thought was fluid was low.. so triple checked, and that was good. once in gear it performs fine, and the shifts seem firmer. Road around and rechecked fluid.. and all was good. Parked truck, 2 hours later, i started it and put it in gear and it had the delayed engagement again. Not wanting to risk damaging the trans, i drained fluid and removed the solenoid and replaced it with the stock unit. Once filled with fluid,... i tested and my issue with delayed engagement was gone. No issue. This was Saturday.. used new fluid and changed filter while i was in there with the original install of the new solenoid. Parked it over night.. tested it again this morning and no issue at all. So today (Sunday), i decided to Try the new solenoid again (lucky enough to have the free time today to fiddle).. and the exact same thing happened.. Delayed Engagement into Drive and reverse..i had to raise the RPMs to get the tranny to engage. Is it possible the Solenoid is defective? I have the stock one back in and tranny is performing perfect. Not sure what next step is... I am original owner of truck, no problems with it.. just figured i would swap to the upgraded part. I have regular services done on tranny, and am original owner, with 180K + on trans now. Never got a code or check engine light .. but didnt hook my AE up to run any diags.

Sorry for the long winded post... but not sure why i have the delayed engagement when the new unit is installed. .. any ideas or guidance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx185sw View Post
Anyone have any thoughts? Can the DD solenoid cause a delayed Reverse\Drive Engagment? Running the original solenoid now for a couple days and trans is shifting fine. Not sure if i should exchange or return the Moded one. :/
Give us a call and we can further discuss the concern and if it is a faulty solenoid get you taken care of right away.

Thx
563-588-2708
Ask for Doug or Chad
post #38 of 103 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
EDP
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speedSD View Post
I have one of these at home that I bought a while back that never shifted right. 3-5 was so harsh that I was scared of breaking something, so I removed it in favor of a new stock solenoid. I need to take a look at it and see if maybe I got one of the knockoffs. I know when I contacted the company I bought it from (can't remember off top of my head), they had no desire to help me solve that harsh shifting issue. Was doing good to get any feedback from them. On vacation now...I'll check it when I'm back home.
Be sure to let us know.
post #39 of 103 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 02:05 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDP View Post
We do not bother grinding the numbers off. Many will take that number and go and purchase a solenoid using that number but all they are purchasing is a DD solenoid un modified. All of our solenoids are modified in house and then tested before being sent out.

Give us a call and we can further discuss the concern and if it is a faulty solenoid get you taken care of right away.

Thx
563-588-2708
Ask for Doug or Chad
Thank you .. will reach out this week.. work has been crazy so havent had much time to follow up on this. Thank you for responding!!

Sean
post #40 of 103 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
EDP
PSN Veteran

Little technical talk Tuesday to help better understand and diagnose your transmission before more damage can be caused.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Direct Clutch Issues.pdf (340.8 KB, 83 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in