stud question - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

stud question

quick question, i was reading on here and i misread something while i was torquing my first head down. what i did was torque the rocker arms down first to 23 ft lbs which raised the head up off the block alittle. then i torqued the studs down like they were suppose to be. then i realized what i did on the passenger side and i torqued the studs down then the rocker arms. my question is does it matter? i know the second way is the way to do it but will it hurt the drivers side? it seems like the gasket is the same on either side but i want to make sure while i still have it all apart. if its ok then im going to finish putting it together. i also turned the motor over by hand for awhile and made sure that i didnt bend a push rod so we are good there

2009 Ford F-350 FX4 4x4, H&S 300HD, MBRP 5" DP back exhaust, S&B intake, sinister egr delete, 4" BDS lift with fox shocks, 20x12 fuel nutz, 37" toyos, Custom painted headlights by me, fusion bumper with rigid led lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 10:42 PM
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods

Re: stud question

If you have turned the motor over by hand and verified that nothing is binding, you should be good to go. I have always heard that the correct way to do it is to torque the rockerer arms down first and then do the studs and it was to prevent binding of the pushrods. So if you have verified that everything spins freely (so to speak), you should be good. I most certainly wouldnt tear it appart unless someone gave you a really good reason to. JMO and hope it helps man.

Nate
06 F350 4x4: Non-VGT 67mm Turbo, WPE Big Oil HPOP, HD 215/85s, Race Ported Intake, NB/Warren Tranny, and some other stuff.... 100k miles and counting....

06 F250 2wd: Stock... EGR delete, Race Ported Intake, and a mild street tune.... Leaking HGs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WINDRUNNER PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING (WPE)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Yea it does! I talked to Rykan at Holderdown about it after I posted this and he also said I should be fine so I'm gonna go ahead and drop the cab. But yes the motor turns over freely and I will double check that also when I drop the cab. I'm going to take the starter wire and touch it to the battery and let it turn over just to make sure. Thanks again!

2009 Ford F-350 FX4 4x4, H&S 300HD, MBRP 5" DP back exhaust, S&B intake, sinister egr delete, 4" BDS lift with fox shocks, 20x12 fuel nutz, 37" toyos, Custom painted headlights by me, fusion bumper with rigid led lights

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 12:17 PM
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods

That sounds like a good idea.

Nate
06 F350 4x4: Non-VGT 67mm Turbo, WPE Big Oil HPOP, HD 215/85s, Race Ported Intake, NB/Warren Tranny, and some other stuff.... 100k miles and counting....

06 F250 2wd: Stock... EGR delete, Race Ported Intake, and a mild street tune.... Leaking HGs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WINDRUNNER PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING (WPE)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode