dead 6.0 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Question dead 6.0

I have a rockin 7.3 and my nefew bought a 6.0 a couple years ago. its a 03 model, has about 160,000 on it now. im more comfortable workin on my 7.3 but i need some help for my nefews 6.0. he was drivin it down the road about 50 mph and she started to lose power, he pulled over and it died and he couldnt get it to restart. anyway he changed fuel filter on top, had a little problem getting fuel up there to prime it but got it done , still wouldnt fire, hauled it to the local ford dealer and heres the news, they said electric fuel pump was bad so he had them change it, they still couldnt get it to run, now they called and said hpop failed and it pumped filings into the screen till the screen ruptured and sent some metal filings into the injectors. they said he needs new HPOP $799.00, ICP SENSOR $187.15, IPR SENSOR $296.00, INTAKE GASKET SET $107.83, EGR VALVE $273.00, 8 INJECTORS $364.00 EACH X 8= 2912.00. GRAND TOTAL 4574.83 PLUS LABOR AND TAX. LABOR WAS QUOTED AT $105.00 PER HOUR. I need some advice. He just graduated from high school and is very mechanically inclined. He can do this himself, i dont think all 8 injectors are bad but how do you test them? second he has done no mods to this truck, what can he do for replacment parts other than the original? I know some talk on EGR valves on the 6.0s, do you bypass the or block them off? His HPOP, replace it with original or after market with higher pressures? He doesnt want to do things that are going to give him engine failures! When he bought the truck I talked down on the 6.0 for reliability and told him not to chip it or mess with it so he wouldnt have this happen so he left it bone stock, but since he has to start replacing parts, what should or shouldnt he do? Ive got my 7.3 worked over pretty good and shes dependable, I dont know what way to steer him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 12:36 AM
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods

Re: dead 6.0

Well I can tell you that going to the normal Ford dealer will get exspensive QUICK. So unless you can't do these things yourself, I would never darken the doors of a dealership other than to buy the truck of course .

I would give Tousley Ford Parts a call. Tousley Ford Parts Depot They have special internet pricing that is VERY reasonable. Other than that your only other real option is Ebay.

FORD DIESEL IPR VALVE 6.0L 03-08 F250 POWERSTROKE IPR VALVE SENSOR FOR HPOP FORD | eBay

ICP103 03 Ford Diesel 6.0L ICP Sensor Powerstroke | eBay

NEW OEM 6.0L Ford Powerstroke Diesel EGR Valve 2003 - 2004 1/2 | eBay

2003 - 2004 Ford 6.0 6.0L Powerstroke High Pressure Oil Pump HPOP | eBay

2003-2003.5 FORD 6.0L POWERSTROKE INJECTOR SET (8) 6.0 INJECTORS | eBay

Lastly here is what I would go with for the EGR system (just DELETE IT) It comes with a new intake gasket set.
IPR EGR Delete Kit with Up Pipe Gaskets for all 2003-2004 Ford Powerstroke 6.0 will fit F250, F350, F450

I personally would just do all 8 injectors so you don't have to worry about it. I didn't add it all up but I am sure it all comes in at under $2500 (A LOT cheaper than the dealer quoted). I would recommend also putting a new oil cooler and coolant flush in it. Hope this helps.
IPR EGR Delete Kit with Up Pipe Gaskets for all 2003-2004 Ford Powerstroke 6.0 will fit F250, F350, F450

Nate
06 F350 4x4: Non-VGT 67mm Turbo, WPE Big Oil HPOP, HD 215/85s, Race Ported Intake, NB/Warren Tranny, and some other stuff.... 100k miles and counting....

06 F250 2wd: Stock... EGR delete, Race Ported Intake, and a mild street tune.... Leaking HGs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WINDRUNNER PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING (WPE)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 02:28 AM
PSN Local

yeah if you are mechanical it will save you a ton consider warren injectors it will save you some change delete the egr while your in there tousley is going to be the cheapest place to buy the parts new unless you have some luck on ebay like suggested and don't forget the oil cooler as well

[White Early 2004 F250 Harley

Adrenaline hpop, Aeromotive, ARP, BPD, BTS, Borg Warner 62/68/.88, Carli, Fox, Fuelab, GH/TSD/Wildman, Holders 225/75, PMF, S&B, Mishimoto rad/ic, 08 axle swap

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Cool Re: dead 6.0

Sittin here pondering? If i help him we pull it in and do it ourselves im thinking pullin the heads and doing the ARP studs and going up from there. I guess if there was a time to make the jump to soup her up it would be now. What your thoughts?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 07:44 PM
PSN Local

I spent around $4000 in parts on my 6.0L last year doing everything that is in my signature plus upper and lower ball joints and front axle seals. I would recommend using Holder Down performance a sponsor here for your warren injectors they are extremely easy to work with and will talk you through the best injectors for what you are wanting to do with your truck. Delete the EGR cooler, replace the oil cooler, do the blue spring upgrade or get an Airdog or FASS system, and eleminate the under hood fuel filter as for the HPOP a stock replacement should work.

09 SCREW 4X4
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 01:25 AM
PSN Local

if you want to upgrade you should let us know what your goals are for your truck and what you intend to do with it and we can give you some pointers

[White Early 2004 F250 Harley

Adrenaline hpop, Aeromotive, ARP, BPD, BTS, Borg Warner 62/68/.88, Carli, Fox, Fuelab, GH/TSD/Wildman, Holders 225/75, PMF, S&B, Mishimoto rad/ic, 08 axle swap
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Its gotta be a daily driver, and maintain good fuel milage if he keeps his foot out of it. hes not going to pull know sled but he will be pulling 31 ft 5th wheel flat bed hauling anything from construction equipment to hay on the farm. my guess would be 90% daily driver and 10% towing. its got 35" tires on it now and mild 2" lift. The main thing is to maintain his automatic tranny, get to much power and that will be the next thing we will be workin on!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Can a person change the head bolts one at a time with arp studs without removing the heads?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 05:08 PM
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudoc View Post
Its gotta be a daily driver, and maintain good fuel milage if he keeps his foot out of it. hes not going to pull know sled but he will be pulling 31 ft 5th wheel flat bed hauling anything from construction equipment to hay on the farm. my guess would be 90% daily driver and 10% towing. its got 35" tires on it now and mild 2" lift. The main thing is to maintain his automatic tranny, get to much power and that will be the next thing we will be workin on!
Ok based on these uses here, I would recommend going with 155/30 or 155/50 injectors built from the ones in the link I sent you. I would recommend a MTW Stage 1 turbo. If the truck is completely stock, I recommend a cheap 4in turbo back exhaust as well. As far as fuel upgrades go, you would really only need a RR kit and you should be able to feed injectors of this size with no problem, provided the stock fuel pump is healthy (I know it's new so it should be good).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudoc View Post
Can a person change the head bolts one at a time with arp studs without removing the heads?
YES they can. I just did studs like this and it is totally what I would recommend as long you know your current gaskets are still good and holding.

Nate
06 F350 4x4: Non-VGT 67mm Turbo, WPE Big Oil HPOP, HD 215/85s, Race Ported Intake, NB/Warren Tranny, and some other stuff.... 100k miles and counting....

06 F250 2wd: Stock... EGR delete, Race Ported Intake, and a mild street tune.... Leaking HGs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WINDRUNNER PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING (WPE)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Question Re: dead 6.0

What is a RR kit? also anybody give me some ideas as to what the steps are to lift the body to change the studs?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode