Taking the plunge - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Taking the plunge

Alright so I finally bit the bullet and ordered the Basic solution with oil cooler and coolant filter and EGR Delete , 4" exhaust, SCT Livewire and Blue spring upgrade from Sinister Diesel( MKM Customs). Any one have any tips or advice on installation. I am a mechanic but not a diesel tech. Thanks for any advice. Also what kind of coolant should I replace the ford gold with?

04 SBCC
4x4
Auto
Sinister EGR delete
EGR cooler delete
4" AFE turbo back, no cat , no muffler
Sinister coolant filter
SCT Livewire
Blue spring mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 04:14 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Taking the plunge

I would install head studs too

2003 F350 cclb 6.0
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 04:22 PM
PSN Local

then get some custom tunes and you can just enjoy the truck

[B]2005 F250 King Ranch
Studs,egr delete, regulated return,RCD 68powermax, banks CAI,FICM tunes from PHP, Tuned by Eric
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Head studs are next on the list. I figure if I am easy on her I will be OK.Once I get the studs in then watch out.

04 SBCC
4x4
Auto
Sinister EGR delete
EGR cooler delete
Sinister coolant filter
SCT Livewire
Blue spring mod
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 05:16 PM
PSN Local

I would also do the stc update while you are in there. Wish I had some help for the install but RCD worked on my truck cause I was outta town for a couple months and diet have time

[B]2005 F250 King Ranch
Studs,egr delete, regulated return,RCD 68powermax, banks CAI,FICM tunes from PHP, Tuned by Eric
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 05:41 PM
dieselnoob.

maybe some cat elc

2004 f250 ccsb rwd, rcd egr delete, oil cooler, pmm coolant filter, straight piped
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 07:40 PM
Gettin there

Ford doesn't approve coolant other than Gold, so if you're under warranty I'd stick with it. If not, alot of guys are running CAT ELC or Delo. I will be running the CAT after my flush. I'm pretty sure International (they make the engine ours is based off of) recommends ELC.

Also, before you strip everything out, do a coolant flush (there's a procedure for it in the tech folder) that way your system is clean for the new cooler. Change your coolant filter after 1,000 miles in case there was anything missed by the flush.

A long read but worth it to understand how CAT ELC works.
Cat Extended Life Coolant incorporates advanced formula technology with organic additive corrosion inhibitors. It is free of nitrates, silicates, phosphates, borated, and amines. Instead, CAT ELC uses mono- and dibasic organic acid salts to provide maximum protection of the six basic metal alloys - copper, solder, brass, steel, cast iron, and aluminum - found in most heat transfer systems. Some nitrites and molybdates are added to help protect the iron components in the cooling system.

Since CAT ELC doesn't contain phosphates or silicates, hard water deposits in the cooling system are practically eliminated, and the low level of total dissolved solids improves water pump seal life. ELC's advanced technology also prevents gel formation and provides excellent protection against cylinder liner cavitation corrosion.

Plus, additives used in ELC don't deplete as fast as those in conventional coolants. Coolant life in heavy-duty diesel engines is limited by the depletion of the corrosion inhibitors. In conventional coolants, supplemental coolant additives (SCAs) deplete, so heavy-duty diesel engine manufacturers require that you add SCA's at every oil change. With CAT ELC, however, additives deplete much more slowly - so you don't need to add any SCAs.
I copied the above from Caterpillar.

One other note, no matter what coolant you use, if you don't maintain it you will have issues. By the way, I am no expert, just do alot of reading before I do chit.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for the replies. I checked on the cat ELC. Found out that Zerex makes a coolant that is compatible with the cat ELC?

04 SBCC
4x4
Auto
Sinister EGR delete
EGR cooler delete
Sinister coolant filter
SCT Livewire
Blue spring mod
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 09:03 PM
Gettin there

Compatible?? I think you mean comparable. Yea, I have heard of it but don't know anyone running it. One thing you don't want to do is mix different coolants...BAD news.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

No doubt on that one. Sorry for the mix up.I am going to do a full coolant flush so there wont be any mixing of coolant. Thanks 06 WhiteBull

04 SBCC
4x4
Auto
Sinister EGR delete
EGR cooler delete
Sinister coolant filter
SCT Livewire
Blue spring mod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode