What's my next step for lower towing EGT's? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

What's my next step for lower towing EGT's?

I run a 175/75 injector with the stock 03 turbo and a full 4" exhaust. Running Vivians tow tune now that has been cut back some for high EGT's. I see 1000* EGT's constantly on a head wind or on a slight up slope at 65-70mph. I have tons of power if I mash the pedal but the EGT's climb so I just maintain pedal and the EGT's creep to 1100* and I loose around 5mph before the top of the hill. I'm at 2200ft above sea level. This happens when towing a 9000# loaded camper. Just cruising empty truck I see 650-700*. Is this all normal? Am I in need of a turbo, ported intake, or cutback tuning? I want to get the EGT's down some while being able to climb or pull steadily. I don't like 4 digit EGT's.

Thanks
Dave

2003 Fire engine red F350 6.0 CCLB DRW Lariat.
Blue fuel spring, coolant filter, EGR delete, Banjo bolts, Rotella T 5-W40, ARP, DE 4" turbo back, Farmers 175/75's, SCT with Vivian's tunes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 12:55 PM
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods

Re: What's my next step for lower towing EGT's?

Yes this is normal and is actually REALLY good IMO considering you have a stock turbo. I think your best bet would be a MTW Stage 2 VGT turbo. It flows A LOT more air than the stock turbo and is just a little bit more than a ported intake manifold and an intercooler wont do anything for you right now. JMO and hope it helps.

Nate
06 F350 4x4: Non-VGT 67mm Turbo, WPE Big Oil HPOP, HD 215/85s, Race Ported Intake, NB/Warren Tranny, and some other stuff.... 100k miles and counting....

06 F250 2wd: Stock... EGR delete, Race Ported Intake, and a mild street tune.... Leaking HGs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WINDRUNNER PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING (WPE)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Thanks for the info. I'm hearing that all over it seems. I'd still like to drop the temps some since I'll be towing more with me next camper (bigger). I'm not familiar with the turbo. Who sells them and is there info on the net about them?

I'm all for the idea of a turbo helping and am considering getting another 03 intake to work since I have some milling and machining access.

Thanks
Dave

Blue fuel spring, coolant filter, EGR delete, Banjo bolts, Rotella T 5-W40, ARP, DE 4" turbo back, Farmers 175/75's, SCT with Vivian's tunes.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 08:28 PM
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods

Yea Dave no problem at all. Unfortuneately there isn't a whole lot of info on the web as far as advertising goes but on some other sites there are A LOT of reviews. Just google MAD Turbo, MTW Stage, MAD Stage, etc. and I'm sure you'll find some more information. Dozer's Diesel is a vendor for Adrian's (fedexairmech on here) but I am not sure if they list them on their website. Either way you can call Adrian at 412-527-3099. JJ at Dozer's Diesel can give you some more information as well. The bottomline though is you need more airflow and while I think you definitely benefit from both a turbo and an intake manifold, I think if you can only buy one, you should get a turbo.

This Stage 2 turbo is built from a Garrett GT4088 turbo that takes the compressor end and sticks it onto the stock turbo turbine end. It is really a turbo modification as opposed to a completely brand new turbo (the compressor end of course is BRAND new but the turbine end is just a rebuild where it is completely cleaned, sand blasted, clear coat painted with high temp enamel, and rebuilt with new bearings and seals so it might as well be brand new). Your stock turbo has a 58mm x 82mm compressor wheel w/ a .58ar compressor housing where the Stage 2 has a 64.7mm x 88mm compressor wheel w/ a whopping .72ar (a lot more airflow) compressor housing. This turbo without any special tuning as already shown great success with stock turbo tunes and 175/75s and 190/75s, but I am sure there is more to be had from the turbo via live tuning.

I highly recommend calling Adrian for pricing and what have you. I can tell you though they are VERY reasonably priced. They even come with a 6 month unconditional warranty (aside for abuse and/or neglect). Basically, if you have a problem that can not be solved over the phone, Adrian will pay for you ship the turbo to him so he can figure out what is wrong and fix it, then he will ship it back to you for free. If that isn't awesome enough, he will even allow you to trade your turbo back in for the purchase price (minus $200 for reconditioning) to use towards a larger turbo, should you decide that the turbo you bought was too small and/or you decide you want to go bigger with your build. The bottomline is that Adrian is in this to help 6.0 owners and not just do this to get rich off of folks.

Hope this helps. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Nate
06 F350 4x4: Non-VGT 67mm Turbo, WPE Big Oil HPOP, HD 215/85s, Race Ported Intake, NB/Warren Tranny, and some other stuff.... 100k miles and counting....

06 F250 2wd: Stock... EGR delete, Race Ported Intake, and a mild street tune.... Leaking HGs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WINDRUNNER PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING (WPE)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Awesome detail and explanation. I actually remember hearing about Dozer and turbo's somewhere. I'll get looking. Iwant to do the intake work myself so I feel the turbo is the best option now too. Just need to close on one of my houses and I can get to it.

Thanks for the info. I'll surely look around on this.

Dave

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 11:23 PM
PSN Local

I highly recommend Adrian for sure. I'm about to get a stage one from him. He's been a lot of help and answered all my questions. Definitely a good dude

'94.5 F250, 7.3, SCLB, TS Chip, 6637 Intake, 267,000

'08 F250, 6.4, CCLB, deleted w/ Mini Maxx

'05 F350, 6.0, Six Speed, Lariat, 4" Magnaflow no cat, studded and deleted, Leveling Kit-SOLD
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 11:40 PM
PSN Newb

Dave R,

You are not in need of a turbo at all! Those EGT's are perfectly normal, 4 digit EGT's are not a concern unless you are holding them over 1250-1300 for extended periods (several minutes non-stop). I would expect your EGT's to be 700-800 on flat ground, and well over a 1000 going up hills with the trailer you are pulling. I would not feel the need to change anything with the EGT's you are reporting.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

2010 F-350 CC Lariat+
H&S Mini Maxx, AFE exhaust, S&B intake

2004 F-350 CC Lariat
5" MBRP single stack, Airaid, Airdog II, trusted fuel lines, II injectors, ARP studs, RCD EGR delete, AFE elbow, Snow performance stage III, oil & coolant bypass, Innovative Xtreme street, Quadzilla commander, & Edge Evo. Waiting on GT3788VA
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 12:00 AM
i like to party

But if you are looking to lower egts some, I'd look into a ported intake manifold before replacing the turbo though. Even distribution of air flow to every cylinder is going to be more effective than trying to push more air by volume through a restriction.

Not saying a charger flowing more air wont be effective though.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I'm looking to cut and port my own intake. I love doing that kind of stuff. I'm only pulling 9000# loaded now. My next camper will be 13,000# dry and I have toys I want to load. I'm sure the temps will go up from here. Is holding 1000* for 60 miles straight OK?

I'd like having more range of use than what I think I have now. I don't like seeing 1200* at all myself. Maybe I'm too cautious.

Thanks
Dave
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 12:20 AM
PSN Veteran

You can pull with 1100egt all day long. 1200 for a great while. Up hills in AZ(6,7, and even 8% grades) I see 1350egt the whole hill sometimes hitting 1400 but I back out. This is for a 7.3 though.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

2000 F-350 4x4 DRW 200,000 miles DP tuner Stock, 40T, decel, 60T, 80T, 80eco, 120race, ported compressor housing, bellowed up-pipes, Terminator T-500, FPR Spring mod, AIH delete, autometer ford factory match boost, pyro, trans, HPX crossover tube, AFE Stage II CAI, 5in Straight pipe, JW valve body, Deep transmission Pan with magnet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode