Anyone using Steed Speed Manifolds? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Anyone using Steed Speed Manifolds?

I see alot of folks indicate they have steed speed exhust manifolds installed.. but i dont see anyone reporting on real life results post install. Do they live up to the numbers on the vendors website? Looking to pick up a pair but would like to hear from the folks already running them. Let me know what you think..

thx

Sean
2005 F250 Harley CC SB Banks IQ, 4" Exhaust, Banks Techi Cooler with High Ram, Cold Air Intake, Cat Delete,EGR Delete,Coolant Filter,Amsoil Oil Filter Bypass, PHP ECM Rollback, PHP FICM Tuner, WW2,Rancho 9000XL shocks. Firestone Air Springs w/Daystar Cradles. 224K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 01:15 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Anyone using Steed Speed Manifolds?

Those number/results on Steed Speed's website are for a 6.4 not a 6L. You will need custom up-pipes for them. I know Matt at Cutting Edge Diesel will build them for the manifolds and Elite Diesel is building up-pipes for them also. I've from some who are running them that they made a huge difference in spool up.

2004 F-350 SC 4x4 6L....little bit of this...little bit of that
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Red face Re: Anyone using Steed Speed Manifolds?

Now that there are a couple folks making up pipes that will work with the steed speed exhust manifolds, have any 6.0 owners actually put them on their truck yet? Looking for some feedback from actual owners.

Sean
2005 F250 Harley CC SB Banks IQ, 4" Exhaust, Banks Techi Cooler with High Ram, Cold Air Intake, Cat Delete,EGR Delete,Coolant Filter,Amsoil Oil Filter Bypass, PHP ECM Rollback, PHP FICM Tuner, WW2,Rancho 9000XL shocks. Firestone Air Springs w/Daystar Cradles. 224K

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 02:00 PM
PSN Veteran

i will be getting a set in the next couple weeks

completley stock truck...just a simple cat back system....and maybe a few other odds and ends
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 02:32 PM
Banned

Last edited by Zmann; 06-26-2015 at 10:00 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 03:31 PM
i like to party

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx185sw View Post
Now that there are a couple folks making up pipes that will work with the steed speed exhust manifolds, have any 6.0 owners actually put them on their truck yet? Looking for some feedback from actual owners.

A local buddy of mine is running them with MPD t4 up pipes, loves them.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 04:29 PM
PSN Veteran

log style aftermarket manifolds will perform better on a diesel than an actual header style lookin manifold.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 01:47 AM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Talked to Elite recently since a customer wanted a set for his 6.4 and was told they aren't selling them at this time due to the fact that they lost power over the stock ones.

Also curious if the log manifold vs "header" style thing is true at all, since it's the exact opposite in the gasser world, why would exhaust flow and turbo operation be any different on a diesel?

03 CCSB King Ranch 4X4 6.0, IDP Xstreet, Muffler delete. [email protected]

00 CCSB, ZF6, 2WD. RIP 1-22-12

06 Mitsubishi Evolution IX SSL, LR 2.0, TS EFR9180, E85, 4 slicks and a chute...maybe some other stuff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Camaro, awaiting turbo LSX and chassis work
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 02:27 AM
PSN Veteran

you need the BTU's/heat from the exhaust to help with turbo spool up. The more heat you keep in the better it'll be with a turbo. That's why alot of guys use header wrap to wrap their manifolds, up-pipes and even down pipes. some will even use turbo blankets on the turbine side of the turbo. Ceramic coating parts also helps. True headers just don't work that well on a diesel...Elite proved it. When the time comes i will either get Steed Speed manifolds or MPD manifolds. Spending $1000 on a set of manifolds that are proven to work is alot better than spending $1500 on a set that isn't proven and that may give you problems.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 02:40 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokin6L View Post
you need the BTU's/heat from the exhaust to help with turbo spool up. The more heat you keep in the better it'll be with a turbo. That's why alot of guys use header wrap to wrap their manifolds, up-pipes and even down pipes. some will even use turbo blankets on the turbine side of the turbo. Ceramic coating parts also helps. True headers just don't work that well on a diesel...Elite proved it. When the time comes i will either get Steed Speed manifolds or MPD manifolds. Spending $1000 on a set of manifolds that are proven to work is alot better than spending $1500 on a set that isn't proven and that may give you problems.
You have fun with that after #### starts melting.

I fix Powerstrokes, Dirtymaxes, and Clatterbox Cummins at Automotive Expertise.

out of Chico, Ca.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in