Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Anyone using Steed Speed Manifolds?

9K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  2wd-FIRE 
#1 ·
I see alot of folks indicate they have steed speed exhust manifolds installed.. but i dont see anyone reporting on real life results post install. Do they live up to the numbers on the vendors website? Looking to pick up a pair but would like to hear from the folks already running them. Let me know what you think..

thx

#2 ·
Those number/results on Steed Speed's website are for a 6.4 not a 6L. You will need custom up-pipes for them. I know Matt at Cutting Edge Diesel will build them for the manifolds and Elite Diesel is building up-pipes for them also. I've from some who are running them that they made a huge difference in spool up.

#3 ·
Now that there are a couple folks making up pipes that will work with the steed speed exhust manifolds, have any 6.0 owners actually put them on their truck yet? Looking for some feedback from actual owners.

#8 ·
Talked to Elite recently since a customer wanted a set for his 6.4 and was told they aren't selling them at this time due to the fact that they lost power over the stock ones.

Also curious if the log manifold vs "header" style thing is true at all, since it's the exact opposite in the gasser world, why would exhaust flow and turbo operation be any different on a diesel?

#9 ·
you need the BTU's/heat from the exhaust to help with turbo spool up. The more heat you keep in the better it'll be with a turbo. That's why alot of guys use header wrap to wrap their manifolds, up-pipes and even down pipes. some will even use turbo blankets on the turbine side of the turbo. Ceramic coating parts also helps. True headers just don't work that well on a diesel...Elite proved it. When the time comes i will either get Steed Speed manifolds or MPD manifolds. Spending $1000 on a set of manifolds that are proven to work is alot better than spending $1500 on a set that isn't proven and that may give you problems.

#15 ·
LOL whatever....so called diesel tech...i think you just made yourself look a bit more stupid...and to think that you're a diesel tech is kinda sad and even scary. Maybe you should study some thermal dynamics then. You definitly dont want to go down the road with egt's at 1000*+, but you want to use the BTU's to help with the turbo. You're not gonna melt anything by wraping exhaust parts or ceramic coating them. Seems like it's working for everyone who daily drives including myself.

#16 ·
Like I said, great for drag racing. I'm not an engineer by any means, just a guy that puts stuff back together after it breaks.
I had a truck come through the shop last summer that had wrapped manifolds, up pipes, turbo, and down pipe. The owner couldn't find his exhaust leak, turned out to be the manifold at the back of the drivers side. It was cracked in half. After fixing it, I drove to see how hot the EGTs were (measured at the manifold). On flat ground on a full throttle pull to 65 it hit 1600 degrees, and it didn't cool down much at cruise. It hauled ass and had almost no smoke, but I wouldn't recommend it as a DD.

#19 ·
wait so heat is not suppose to go into the exhaust. then where?:shrug:

#17 ·
and you think the wrapped was the cause of the cracked manifolds and high egts? I'd be willing to bet that it wasn't. Heck, there's guys hitting 1600+ degrees with unwrapped manifolds and y-pipes with stock turbo and stock injectors. 1600* is easily reached.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.