S&B intake review! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

S&B intake review!

Ok guys so last week I was contacted by a guy who works at s&b and offered me a free cold air intake, oiled Red cleanable filter, dry filter, filter cleaning kit, and Filter wrap for free! I'm not going to lie,I thought it was a scam but I called anyway to see what was going on and waited to hear...I'll just take your credit card number lol. Anyways Ryan just wanted my shipping address and wanted to make sure I would write a review and installation thread on the forums I'm on and he would ship me out all that stuff for free. So anyways was excited and everything showed up today so I installed it. First off I didn't follow the instructions 100% since I've worked on this enough and know easier ways to take everything apart. This thread may be a bit long for most of you but I want to give S&B their money's worth.

Showed up!

Bout to get started

Undo clamps holding on stock air filter housing

I removed all the connections to the degas bottle, maf, and Restriction gauge

Loosen all clamps with either a flat head screwdriver or 8mm socket

start removing parts

Remove breather tube ( watch out where your radiator hose lays while your not in the engine bay...it happens to be a perfect length to just flow right into the open hole...luckily I was almost due for an oil change anyway lol)

Remove factory maf and gauge to put onto new intake

Place The maf, breather tube and gauge on your new intake
[IMG]http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh268/venomhp/IMAG0471.jpg[/IMG
]
use tool provided for the maf screws

Start placing the intake into the engine bay and ensure it fits correctly in the grommets

Getting this to all line up is not exactly easy, takes a lot of maneuvering because the engine bay is so packed as we know.

Having everything line up is very tight, I wish it would have made it easier to remove and install than the oem intake but it's trying to get as much air as possible so I guess that's what happens.

Once it's all in, ensure you double check all the connections, band clamps, and hoses so that you wont have any issues. It looks nice now!

06 F-250 ccsb King Ranch, 2011 KR interior, 3" rough country lift, 35 toyo M/T's 20 XD Hoss wheels, RC dual stabilizer, SCT X3, WILDMAN tune, bumpers, Edge CTS, AMSOIL bypass kit, Dfuser coolant kit, etc.

2004 Toyota 4runner 3" lift Shrockworks bumper and 285's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: S&B intake review!

Initial driving impressions are good, has more of a rumble a
On the lower rpms and better throttle response. You can hear more air being sucked in hen you lean into the throttle but once it's wide open you can't hear it. I only took it for about a ten mile check ride but it's a nice setup and cleans up the look of the engine bay. I'll post more up when I get some more miles on it. Thanks again to S&B!

06 F-250 ccsb King Ranch, 2011 KR interior, 3" rough country lift, 35 toyo M/T's 20 XD Hoss wheels, RC dual stabilizer, SCT X3, WILDMAN tune, bumpers, Edge CTS, AMSOIL bypass kit, Dfuser coolant kit, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 04:16 AM
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods

I really like my S&B.

Nate
06 F350 4x4: Non-VGT 67mm Turbo, WPE Big Oil HPOP, HD 215/85s, Race Ported Intake, NB/Warren Tranny, and some other stuff.... 100k miles and counting....

06 F250 2wd: Stock... EGR delete, Race Ported Intake, and a mild street tune.... Leaking HGs

WINDRUNNER PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING (WPE)

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 04:23 PM
PSN Local

Wonder why they have double hose clamps on the Air Inlet Tube???

D
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 04:25 PM
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods

Really?? It's because they are coupling two pieces of pipe together.

Nate
06 F350 4x4: Non-VGT 67mm Turbo, WPE Big Oil HPOP, HD 215/85s, Race Ported Intake, NB/Warren Tranny, and some other stuff.... 100k miles and counting....

06 F250 2wd: Stock... EGR delete, Race Ported Intake, and a mild street tune.... Leaking HGs

WINDRUNNER PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING (WPE)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 05:17 PM
PSN Local

he is just use to the stock one thats rubber and not plastic
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

? All the intake is new material and they join two pieces of plastic together

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 05:19 AM
PSN Veteran

I think you were just overly excited because you cant hear or feel #### out these things. They perform no better and no worse than stock box. But they do look damn good under the hood.............I've had mine for over 4yrs and have only had to clean and oil it once
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

You can definitely hear more on the low end, at full throttle I can't hear any difference. Low end also has a slight throttle response increase. Not sure if it depends on your set up or what though.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 09:59 PM
PSN Newb

wonder if there looking to do a group buy for members

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode