EGR Cooler in CA. Aftermarket or weld? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

EGR Cooler in CA. Aftermarket or weld?

I am going to have my oil cooler done next week. Also gonna replace the EGR cooler, but since I am subject to smog inspections I am afraid of doing the delete. I am considering welding the factory cooler while it is out.

Any cons to doing this type of delete? Or should I just go with the Sinister or BPD EGR cooler?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 04:36 PM
Faster Than You

Re: EGR Cooler in CA. Aftermarket or weld?

I would just weld it up for visual. The emissions test there isn't based off of a smog, its visual opacity of the exhaust for a determined length of time at a certain RPM. Unless something as of recent has changed that's the way its done. It's not going to smoke more with it deleted or welded but you may want it to appear as if its still functional. Also a CEL will count as a failure in that state.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thats what I was thinking, and I can use the money I save on the EGR cooler to buy the SCT. Is there any downside to not programming out the EGR right away?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Faster Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeride View Post
Thats what I was thinking, and I can use the money I save on the EGR cooler to buy the SCT. Is there any downside to not programming out the EGR right away?
Welding it up only stops the exhaust from flowing through, so the valve will still cycle open and shut like normal when called upon. But you might get a insufficient egr flow code.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 06:21 PM
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods

How does one get an insufficient EGR flow code on a 6.0?? Where is the sensor that monitors EGR flow?? I am fairly confident that the EGR valve only gives the ECM position information.

Nate
06 F350 4x4: Non-VGT 67mm Turbo, WPE Big Oil HPOP, HD 215/85s, Race Ported Intake, NB/Warren Tranny, and some other stuff.... 100k miles and counting....

06 F250 2wd: Stock... EGR delete, Race Ported Intake, and a mild street tune.... Leaking HGs

WINDRUNNER PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING (WPE)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 06:32 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
How does one get an insufficient EGR flow code on a 6.0?? Where is the sensor that monitors EGR flow?? I am fairly confident that the EGR valve only gives the ECM position information.
It deterimines egr flow based on the MAF if it has one and the IAT in the manifold. It is just a calculation there is no "flow sensor".
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 06:46 PM
Faster Than You

Rykan beat me to it, thanks.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 06:48 PM
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods

Got ya. Ok Thx.

Nate
06 F350 4x4: Non-VGT 67mm Turbo, WPE Big Oil HPOP, HD 215/85s, Race Ported Intake, NB/Warren Tranny, and some other stuff.... 100k miles and counting....

06 F250 2wd: Stock... EGR delete, Race Ported Intake, and a mild street tune.... Leaking HGs

WINDRUNNER PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING (WPE)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04stroker View Post
It deterimines egr flow based on the MAF if it has one and the IAT in the manifold. It is just a calculation there is no "flow sensor".
So this is why the SCT tuner is used to turn off the EGR function I am guessing. Will there be a driveability problem if one doesnt have the tuner right away?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 08:09 PM
Faster Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeride View Post
So this is why the SCT tuner is used to turn off the EGR function I am guessing. Will there be a driveability problem if one doesnt have the tuner right away?
On the 6.0 no on the 6.4 yes. But with some states they will fail the inspection if it has a CEL lit up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode