Tuner advise - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Tuner advise

I have ran Bill's (PHP) tunes in my gassers and been very happy with the results, I posted this question on their forum but I would like more opinions before shelling out some cash. Here is the deal, I have a 6.0 6speed 4x4, completely stock from what I can tell except a K&N CAI. I have had it for 3 months and pulled around 9,000 lbs with it 4 times now up Jellico moutain in East TN...no issues at all. No puking no odd behavior at all. I am not studding the truck.....yet. EGR delete is in my garage waiting to be installed, after getting the Gryphon and checking the EGT/EOT I will decide on the oil cooler. So here is the question, it came with a SuperChips FlashPaq and has had the performance tune running for a while. Power is good over stock but I know custom tunes would be better. What I am unsure of is would it be better to get the FICM Gryphon and keep running the FlashPaq with Atlas 40 or get a custom tuned CS and wait on the FICM tunes until funds build up? Would the Atlas 40 and SuperChip together over do the stock head bolts? Maybe just run the Atlas 40 alone, would power be similar to what I have now with the SuperChip? I know you guys have beat these tuner subjects to death and a lot of you run the Atlas tunes so any advise would be great.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: Tuner advise

Nothing?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 07:12 PM
PSN Newb

i would sell the supper chip and get an sct with custom tunes . i havnt tried them myself but i have heard good things about sct and custom tunes ....some people love the ficm programer and some say its just as good to send the ficm in and get thwe program u want instead of buying the programer .... in the end its up to u . mabey run the 100 hp ficm tune and call it good ...or run the 40 hp ficm tune and a race tune from a custom tunner . i say get rid of the super chips programer ? good luck

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks, I think I will do just that. Order a tuner now and send my FICM in later.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 01:48 AM
oconnors17

I think any tuner could stretch your head bolts so if your going to stack tunes or trying to reach 100 hp over stock they are going to stretch unless you get real lucky.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I am thinking about getting the 80hp tunes from PHP, after I get the head bolts I will get hotter tunes.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 12:22 PM
Firefighter/EMT

I have been running vivians looney tune with PHP's hercules FICM tune and I have stock head bolts with no issues at all! When im at the track I have Vivians looney wild track file which is for studded trucks and still no issue with over 40 passes made this year...

02 F250 6 speed with 270k- SOLD
05 F350 auto with 94k, 4in MBRP with 6in tip, updated fuel pressure spring, and auto meter fuel press, boost, trans, and pyro guages, and tuning by vivian and PHP's FICM tuner currently running hercules! NO STUDS!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

14.1 @ 95 is the best so far!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 12:28 PM
PSN Veteran

I would get an SCT w/ your tunes of choice (I like ours, but I am biased)... I also really like our ficm tuning...

Remember how long these trucks will last is judged by 1. how you drive it, 2. How agressive the tuning is, 3. the shape of the motor and systems before you start modding it

[email protected]
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 11:54 PM
PSN Newb

i have stock tty head bolts and drive my truck fairly hard and no problems yet and thats running the h&s 120 tune . i also have a stock egr cooler on there as well . but like said above it all in how u drive it and if there is and problems with oil cooler egr cooler or what ever thats un known. dont be afraid of all the stories about blown tty head bolts i have 200000 km on stock bolts .
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 11:59 PM
PSN Veteran

Sct custom tunes

2006 f250 4x4 6in lift 37x13.5 tires
A few engine parts here and there

Back Road Performance tuned

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode