Studs one at a time cab on with pictures. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 209 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Gambled and Lost 6.oh

Studs one at a time cab on with pictures.

Just completed my stud job one at a time with cab on, Im not interested in hearing your opinions on the methods I used. This is merely to help others that are in the same position as I was. I had been experiencing puking for a few months before I got time and cash to do all of this. I did not replace the gaskets, although with the room I made it wouldnt have been that much of an issue I believe. If this in fact does not work, I am only out my time in doing so. I can easily pull heads out again now that Ive done it once, would take a fraction of the time. I used the ARP torque sequence moving center out, torquing them first to 140ft lbs, then after replacing all of the bolts with studs, I used same torque sequence but went straight to 250 ft lbs. Going past the recommended 210, Ive known of people doing 285ftlbs , If i had a bigger torque wrench, I would have probably done 265ftlbs end torque. Make sure you have a good 12pt 18mm deep socket also. And a good sized cheat bar.

This all being said here is how I tackled the drivers side. Im not going to involve all of the details, its pretty obvious what you need to remove to get to the valve covers, The denting the firewall works wonders for the far back bottom bolt. I did use the cutting method to remove the bolt head. I used a long heave steel bar to dent in the firewall after peeling back the insulation. After denting it in, pulled bolt up as far as I could, zip tied the bottom to keep it from sliding back into head, and cut off the bolt about 2" from top. Was able to slide bolt right out then, and also get stud back down. A little more denting was needed to fit the head of my torque wrench down on top of the bolt. That side wasnt to bad at all.

On the passenger side, everyone says, remove the heater box. This isnt necessary. Remove the RH side cover off of the heater box, and then you are able to remove wire connections and lay the ac cooler on top of radiator or by where battery was. I also removed the 3 nuts on bottom behind glovebox in cab, and 2 nuts on top to slide the heater box out about 3" to put in the back bottom stud. You may have to remove your vacuum pump from fender if it hits it. (2 - 12mm bolts) Here are the pictures and let me know if you have any questions.

I will post a status of how it turns out without replacing the gaskets. I'm sure I will hear plenty of "that will never work" comments, even though I asked that those comments be kept to yourself. Ive had requests from guys asking how this works for me. And I will keep updates. As for the pictures for the one at a time, I hope these help, cuz there aren't a lot of picture resources out there for this procedure.

Thanks and I'll answer any questions you have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 250666_10151784229650246_536970245_24379359_213612670_n.jpg (41.9 KB, 749 views)
File Type: jpg 251912_10151784145320246_536970245_24379191_825352565_n.jpg (48.0 KB, 688 views)
File Type: jpg 380362_10151784174040246_536970245_24379253_1548198562_n.jpg (49.0 KB, 673 views)
File Type: jpg 551163_10151784244155246_480581836_n.jpg (50.7 KB, 636 views)

'05 CCSB FX4
Deleted, Studded, SCT w/ Vivian's Looney Wild, Warrens 190cc. DieselRX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 209 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 06:44 PM
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods

Re: Studs one at a time cab on with pictures.

I personally think if 250ft-lbs wont work then 285 probably wont either because at about 315ft lbs they snap. Eitherway I agree with the one stud at a time approach as well unless you're puking already but hey if it works for you, who am I to say it was as bad idea?? And like you mentioned, the only thing you will be out is your time. I hope it works for you. Best of luck man.

Nate
06 F350 4x4: Non-VGT 67mm Turbo, WPE Big Oil HPOP, HD 215/85s, Race Ported Intake, NB/Warren Tranny, and some other stuff.... 100k miles and counting....

06 F250 2wd: Stock... EGR delete, Race Ported Intake, and a mild street tune.... Leaking HGs

WINDRUNNER PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING (WPE)
post #3 of 209 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Gambled and Lost 6.oh

Thank you sir. Yah 250lbs should be plenty. Im not out to say this is going to work so F%%% you! Im hoping it does work, If not, im only out my time, but if it does, its hope for others to try it also. I remember when they used to say doing studs one at a time is ridiculous and will never work ya know? lol

'05 CCSB FX4

post #4 of 209 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Gambled and Lost 6.oh

status being now - its all torqued down, waiting on my injectors to arrive tomorrow so i can put it all back together. Will know a little more Saturday.

'05 CCSB FX4

post #5 of 209 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 07:13 PM
PSN Veteran

if i read it right you plan to dyno it very soon also. so blown gaskets, Studs, 175/stocks, plus a new tune. In to see how this goes.

just gotta say if you cant afford to do it right you cant afford to do it twice

04 F250 - 6.UHOH. Studded and Deleted By PSE, Fueled by Warren and Aeromotive, and Tuned by Gearhead.
08 Tacoma Work truck. V6 Power nothing, Radio, AC, and 4x4
post #6 of 209 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Gambled and Lost 6.oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksieckmann View Post
Im not interested in hearing your opinions on the methods I used. This is merely to help others that are in the same position as I was. I had been experiencing puking for a few months before I got time and cash to do all of this. I did not replace the gaskets, although with the room I made it wouldnt have been that much of an issue I believe. If this in fact does not work, I am only out my time in doing so. I can easily pull heads out again now that Ive done it once, would take a fraction of the time.
What part of this didnt you understand? lol

'05 CCSB FX4

post #7 of 209 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Gambled and Lost 6.oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agjake11 View Post
if i read it right you plan to dyno it very soon also. so blown gaskets, Studs, 175/stocks, plus a new tune. In to see how this goes.

just gotta say if you cant afford to do it right you cant afford to do it twice
Oh, and they're 190's now.

'05 CCSB FX4

post #8 of 209 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 07:23 PM
PSN Veteran

190/Stock still??

04 F250 - 6.UHOH. Studded and Deleted By PSE, Fueled by Warren and Aeromotive, and Tuned by Gearhead.
post #9 of 209 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 07:28 PM
Good ol boy

I think it's awesome u did it like that...for ppl like myself that doesn't have 3 grand or more to drop to make somthin reliable when u wanna have some fun wit it, I'm thinkin about doing this myself too, like u said if it doesn't work then screw it then u ain't out anyhing but the time u put into it and it if does hold up then u saved yourself an ass load of money! And think about all the know how u got out of trying this yourself! I hope it works like hell for ya!

Studded and Deleted
5 inch axle dump
Back Road Performance Tuned
Barder Stage 2
58v IDP Ficm tune
post #10 of 209 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 07:30 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 f350 View Post
I think it's awesome u did it like that...for ppl like myself that doesn't have 3 grand or more to drop to make somthin reliable when u wanna have some fun wit it, I'm thinkin about doing this myself too, like u said if it doesn't work then screw it then u ain't out anyhing but the time u put into it and it if does hold up then u saved yourself an ass load of money! And think about all the know how u got out of trying this yourself! I hope it works like hell for ya!
just to clarify the issue is not doing studs one at a time but rather doing them like that knowing the HG's are bad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode