trans ? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

trans ?

i just got the new diesel power mag and seen mpd put a 4r100 in place of a 5r110 in there 6.4 as anyone done this with a 6.0 seems like a good idea

some parts to try and go fast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 12:03 AM
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods

Re: trans ?

Did the magazine say why they swapped the 4r100 in over the 5r110?? Unless they know something and arent sharing, from everything I have read I wouldnt know why they would do this as the 5r110 is a much stouter unit (at least in the stock configuration) and therefore doesnt seem like a good idea to me. Hence why I would like to know their reasoning.

Nate
06 F350 4x4: Non-VGT 67mm Turbo, WPE Big Oil HPOP, HD 215/85s, Race Ported Intake, NB/Warren Tranny, and some other stuff.... 100k miles and counting....

06 F250 2wd: Stock... EGR delete, Race Ported Intake, and a mild street tune.... Leaking HGs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WINDRUNNER PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING (WPE)
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

the mag said the 4r100 was built buy BTS and laid down 40 more hp on the dyno just because of the trans hes running a big single turbo mag says it quicker faster and more reliable than a 5r110

some parts to try and go fast

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 01:46 AM

I guess it makes sense if the truck was only going to be a dyno and/or competition truck so it would never have an overdrive because it would definitely keep the engine rpms up so the turbo would light quicker. I dont see for the need for VAST majority of everyone else who drive their truck on the street and/or tow with it. JMO.

Nate
06 F350 4x4: Non-VGT 67mm Turbo, WPE Big Oil HPOP, HD 215/85s, Race Ported Intake, NB/Warren Tranny, and some other stuff.... 100k miles and counting....

06 F250 2wd: Stock... EGR delete, Race Ported Intake, and a mild street tune.... Leaking HGs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 01:47 AM
i like to party

This is not the case in a 6.0, the 6.4 uses a ECM to tune the motor and a separate TCM to tune the transmission, the 6.0 uses a combination ECM/TCM. The 6.4 has significant lag in the software that can only make a 6.4 5r shift so fast without making some hard part modifications, and even then I couldn't tell you where the fine line is. Elite is making them last on those trucks.

The 5r also uses solenoids to electronically control the shifts. The 4r does not, and will create a perfect shift every time, it also has the ability to lock the converter in 1st gear, great for the strip, I dont know if i'd be putting one in a street truck, but craig doesn't seem to have any problems daily driving it.

on a 6.0, I honestly think its a waste of breath to swap in the 4r if you have someone good build the 5r. There are plenty of trucks putting down PLENTY of power with a 5r on the 6L.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 01:48 AM
matt

intresting???? is it a better buite tranny?

4'' exhaust, egr delete, upgraded oil cooler, arp studs,50mm BOV, volant CAI, 66/73/.91 turbo, 205/100 injectors, crossover fuel line, airdog II, sct by TSD & ID, high idle mod, nitrous express with .092 jet, 26 GPH water/meth, ats stage 3 tranny, king Ranch front and rear captins chairs, and of course kicker sound system
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 01:50 AM
matt

built

4'' exhaust, egr delete, upgraded oil cooler, arp studs,50mm BOV, volant CAI, 66/73/.91 turbo, 205/100 injectors, crossover fuel line, airdog II, sct by TSD & ID, high idle mod, nitrous express with .092 jet, 26 GPH water/meth, ats stage 3 tranny, king Ranch front and rear captins chairs, and of course kicker sound system
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza pig View Post
This is not the case in a 6.0, the 6.4 uses a ECM to tune the motor and a separate TCM to tune the transmission, the 6.0 uses a combination ECM/TCM. The 6.4 has significant lag in the software that can only make a 6.4 5r shift so fast without making some hard part modifications, and even then I couldn't tell you where the fine line is. Elite is making them last on those trucks.

The 5r also uses solenoids to electronically control the shifts. The 4r does not, and will create a perfect shift every time, it also has the ability to lock the converter in 1st gear, great for the strip, I dont know if i'd be putting one in a street truck, but craig doesn't seem to have any problems daily driving it.

on a 6.0, I honestly think its a waste of breath to swap in the 4r if you have someone good build the 5r. There are plenty of trucks putting down PLENTY of power with a 5r on the 6L.
Interesting note Greg. Thanks for the insight. If this is indeed the way it all works I can see why the 6.4 guys would do it but I am with you on the fact that I like my 5r and dont really want to drop any money for a 4r.

I dont think it is a better built tranny.

Nate

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 02:21 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza pig View Post
Could you clarify this? I assume you meant if you are manually shifting the trans, not leaving it in drive and letting it shift itself?

Newest project: 1995 F350 CC/DRW 2WD E4OD. 3" DP, 4" Diamond Eye system. But I'm still fixin' the broken stuff......
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 02:34 AM
i like to party

No im not talking about manually shifting the transmission, the 4r uses a valve body to apply line pressure from the pump to the clutches. The 4r is old school, but it works and works well. The solenoids are very temperamental and sensitive to foreign material, and eventually wear out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode