Precautions for my 05 6.0 ?? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Precautions for my 05 6.0 ??

I have an 05 powerstroke and I recently put a 4" turbo back mbrp straight exhaust, s&b air filter, and a flashpaq tuner on it(I know the sct is better and I plan on switching soon). Once I have the cash I'm going to do the egr delete and oil cooler mods, but until then is there any precautions I can take to avoid doing any damage or blowing my head gaskets? I was told putting in studs was pointless if the gaskets wernt blown and the egr delete and oil cooler would help prevent that from happening for the most part. Any help?? Thanks

2005 KR CC 6.0
7" PROCOMP, 20x10 motometal, 35x12.5 Toyo M/T, 4" mbrp turboback, S&B intake, sct tunes, bluespring-6.4 banjo's, 5w-40syn, ect
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 02:41 PM
PSN Local

Re: Precautions for my 05 6.0 ??

I think you're good. I have an 06 with 75k and have been instructed similar to you and done similar also. Fingers crossed!

2006 F250 CC FX4 leveled on 285/75/18

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
by
, on Flickr
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 02:47 PM
PSN Local

Studs on any diesel IMO is never a bad thing. The egr delete well help but it wont solve lifting heads. Only studs and oem gaskets will solve that. The quicker you take that super chip off the better. Get a sct with custom tunes (innovative, elite, Kem, or any other reputable shop with experience). Put a coolant filter on it and get rid of the ford gold coolant. It's crappy coolant. Personally I would also replace the coolant resivour cap with a 5 dollar slant cap. The spring is bigger and it will make sure the coolant is properly pressurized. Hope this helps

2004 ford f-250

S&b cai, powermaxx, cfm, arps, mbrp, innovative, 6.4 banjos, blue spring, sinister delete kit, sinister coolant filter, 58v ficm, spearco intercooler, cts.

soon to come s472 and everything to support

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 06:47 PM
PSN Local

Tearing into a young motor to do studs, is a $5k + insurance gamble.

Isn't it wiser to wait until the heads lift at 150k?

by
, on Flickr
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 07:00 PM
PSN Veteran

I would pull the heads, get them completely cleaned of any oil soaked soot, and do the studs, gaskets, EGR delete, CCv re route all at the same time.
Have the intake completely cleaned inside and out as well. (your gonna chit yourself when you see how plugged up everything is on the inside.)

2003 F-350 KingRanch 4x4
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 08:59 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extended Power View Post
I would pull the heads, get them completely cleaned of any oil soaked soot, and do the studs, gaskets, EGR delete, CCv re route all at the same time.
Have the intake completely cleaned inside and out as well. (your gonna chit yourself when you see how plugged up everything is on the inside.)
Assuming of course everyone has an endless supply of $$$...

by
, on Flickr
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks for yalls input. I'm gonna be on about a $3500 budget. The truck only has about 89k on it. I just want to do what I need to now so that it last the best it can for the next 200k

Sent from my HTC INSPIRE

2005 KR CC 6.0
7" PROCOMP, 20x10 motometal, 35x12.5 Toyo M/T, 4" mbrp turboback, S&B intake, sct tunes, bluespring-6.4 banjo's, 5w-40syn, ect
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 11:01 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewxlt View Post
Assuming of course everyone has an endless supply of $$$...
If you really think you can run a diesel on a shoestring budget, buy a Pruis instead...DIESELs cost money when they need repairs, and if you can't do the work yourself to save labour charges...maybe think about getting a different vehicle.

Hard facts of owning any diesel: They are not cheap to repair if they are off warranty. Cost is even greater if you can't do the work yourself.

2003 F-350 KingRanch 4x4
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extended Power View Post
If you really think you can run a diesel on a shoestring budget, buy a Pruis instead...DIESELs cost money when they need repairs, and if you can't do the work yourself to save labour charges...maybe think about getting a different vehicle.

Hard facts of owning any diesel: They are not cheap to repair if they are off warranty. Cost is even greater if you can't do the work yourself.
Not trying to be a smart a**, but thank you for stating the obvious... but like the post says (if you read it correctly) I'm looking for advice on the best way to prevent any common problems. I know there is no 100% way to avoid them completely. I know things will wear and break that won't be cheap to fix. I'm sure there are diesels out there that haven't had all of the expensive issues that others have had to deal with. So I'm looking for advice on the best ways to lookout for my investment. If you don't have any advice simply keep your comments to yourself. Thanks

2005 KR CC 6.0
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 11:47 PM
PSN Veteran

I thought my comment on pulling the heads, and doing everything at once was excellent advice...
Only have to open the engine once.

Save up if you have to...cause if you have to open it again, you can't reuse head gaskets. ($300.00) + labour.

I wasn't trying to be a dick about it either...but "ewxlt" made the first smart ass comment towards me...and my reply was directed at him, not you.

2003 F-350 KingRanch 4x4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode