Idle Issues after Buildup. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Idle Issues after Buildup.

Ok so after the buildup (190's w 75% over nozzles) AD II, Sump & Strictly diesel RR i let the truck run for about 2-3 Hrs at an idle to let everything heat set back in ect.

Here's the skinny:
Truck was a PITA to get started the first time as usual, once started it ran perfect but everytime i shut it down it would take 3 x more cranking to get it started again.

Let it warm up again this morning for about 45 minutes while i was cleaning the shop. Took it out for it's break in run, made it 2 miles at a moderate pace about 3/4 into the pedal. When i stopped at the stop sign the truck was idling rough and would not smooth back out. Fuel Pressure off the AD II is +/-55 psi and stayed the same the whole time. RR pressure is about the same +/- a couple PSI. It doesn't matter what i do to the AD II or the RR PSI setting wise it will not level/smooth out. It stumbles up to about 1000 rpm them its silky smooth all the way to full pedal, there is still a ton of power and its smooth on the highway.

Any ideas? Also the FICM is un-tuned and i am waiting on tunes for Innovative.

I think its a fuel/timing issue but has anyone had the same problems or have any ideas?
Thanks guys!

2011 6.7 yet to be ####ed with.... Yet...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 11:27 PM
The Unseen Mod

Send a message via AIM to RescueF250
Re: Idle Issues after Buildup.

Your Ficm is what fires your injectors !! Needs to have programming on it. 2 it takes 12 full throttle runs by Ford to get the air out of the hpo system. Get a ficm on it and try again. Also sounds like an ICP issue.

03 Rescue is Dead

08 Rescue - No Limit Fab, MPD, Rescue Diesel, Barder Turbo, Fuel Lab, H&S products.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

FICM was checked and it's ok (stock ford programming). I cleaned the ICP during the build but maybe it's NFG or weak. I have drove full throttle at least 12 times during troubleshooting since and same results.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 02:01 AM
PSN Veteran

you might have cut an o-ring intalling the injectors. Are you sure you torqued all injectors down tight...maybe a copper washer didn't seat. Put a scanner on it and see if there are any contribution faults/miss fires with any cylinders.

2004 F-350 SC 4x4 6L....little bit of this...little bit of that
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

All the injectors were thumb ratchet seated, then torqued to spec, the cups were cleaned, blown out with compressed air, and the o-rings were thoughoughly oiled with 5 w 40 full synthetic before installing. They all torqued down the same with no issues, you could feel them seat as usual.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 03:04 AM
The Unseen Mod

Currently any tuning on it ? Do you have a scanner ?

03 Rescue is Dead

08 Rescue - No Limit Fab, MPD, Rescue Diesel, Barder Turbo, Fuel Lab, H&S products.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

No tuning and no DTC's other than the EGR delete codes that come up. What do you mean by scanner? Like the kind ford has for checking injectors ect? If do then no.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 03:09 AM
The Unseen Mod

Ya was gonna ask if you could do a power balance test, were those injectors gone thru by Ryan ?

03 Rescue is Dead

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 03:10 AM
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods

Are you able to monitor the ICP to see what it does while cranking/running/WOT?? If you're having trouble with it starting whether cold or hot, I would say the signs point to the HPOP either being bad or about to just die on you. Usually if they die, they just give up and don't resisitate but each truck is different.

I know for me when I was restoring from my head gasket install, I started my truck up and let it run for only a couple of minutes and had to shut er down because I had a low pressure oil leak. Well after I fixed that and went back to try and restart it, I could only build about 250 psi of ICP while cranking. Long story short it was the HPOP and why did it die? It ran fine for 80K miles and now just dies? What gives? So that is why I say they can go out or be on the way out for any reason.

It could be what was mentioned about possibly cutting the injector oring seal on the top of the injector or if you didnt replace those when you installed the injectors then they could be bad. Did you replace the stand pipe and dummy plug orings as well? Hope this helps. Best of luck here. I feel for you.

Nate
06 F350 4x4: Non-VGT 67mm Turbo, WPE Big Oil HPOP, HD 215/85s, Race Ported Intake, NB/Warren Tranny, and some other stuff.... 100k miles and counting....

06 F250 2wd: Stock... EGR delete, Race Ported Intake, and a mild street tune.... Leaking HGs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WINDRUNNER PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING (WPE)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RescueF250 View Post
Ya was gonna ask if you could do a power balance test, were those injectors gone thru by Ryan ?
Brand new set built from his re-mans.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode