progammer advise - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

progammer advise

Ok Well I am in the millitary so money to spend on my truck is limited. but I am trying to make it better. I already have a 4" exaust. my next thing is an egr delet by the way my truck is acting and seeing how dirty the egr valve gets i figured its the best thing to do next. now I have an 06 f250 6.0L. and i am told once i delet the egr it will throw a code so i need to tune it. I do not have the money to get a tunner right now. my question is I have a freind with a bully dog flash tunner. is it ok to get him to flash a tune in the truck just untill i can get my own tunner? and if he puts the preformance tune on my truck but i keep my foot out of the pedal can i still get good milage? thanks for takeing the time to read this i know its long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: progammer advise

why will no one help me???
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 11:00 PM
PSN Newb

Honestly what i would do is save for a sct if you dont have to do anything right now. I have learned that the bully dog is hard on the trucks. And if he puts it on your truck then he wont be able to put it back on his until he returns yours back to stock. I am sure some with more experience will chime in i am some what new to this too. I am repeating to you what i have been told. Hope this helps.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 11:22 PM
--------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavscout075 View Post
Ok Well I am in the millitary so money to spend on my truck is limited. but I am trying to make it better. I already have a 4" exaust. my next thing is an egr delet by the way my truck is acting and seeing how dirty the egr valve gets i figured its the best thing to do next. now I have an 06 f250 6.0L. and i am told once i delet the egr it will throw a code so i need to tune it. I do not have the money to get a tunner right now. my question is I have a freind with a bully dog flash tunner. is it ok to get him to flash a tune in the truck just untill i can get my own tunner? and if he puts the preformance tune on my truck but i keep my foot out of the pedal can i still get good milage? thanks for takeing the time to read this i know its long.
A programmer can only be used on one vehicle at a time. The programmer has to download the OEM file onto the programmer before it can install its own program. The programmer can only store one OEM file at a time. If your friend isn't using his bully dog, you're in luck. If he has used it on his truck, it won't work on yours. Also, each program is coded for a specific ECU version and the chances that you and your friend have the same version are not very likely. So you would probably have to pay for a new program.

Feel better now?

2004 F250 SC Shortbed 6.0 (03 Engine) Auto 4X2 Lariat, John Wood SCT, 4" Turbo back exhaust with cat, Boze Fatal Eight 20x10 Wheels, Toyo Proxes ST 305/50-20 Tires

Quote:
Spelling is a lossed art.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Always be sincere...even if you don't mean it.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 12:57 AM
The Unseen Mod

Send a message via AIM to RescueF250

Horsepower Goals for 6.0. - PowerStrokeNation

03 Rescue is Dead

08 Rescue - No Limit Fab, MPD, Rescue Diesel, Barder Turbo, Fuel Lab, H&S products.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 07:34 PM
PSN Veteran

Wait wait wait.. "by the way your truck is acting"? How is it acting?

Rule number one, fix what is broke. If you can afford to make a repair an upgrade go fer-it. Once you get the truck running great in untuned, then drop a tune into it. A tune, even a custom one, will just compound your issues, and could lead to a serious melt down.

I ran a hypertech programmer for almost a year, but only ran it for about 1000 miles. I took it off, because burning my transmission up, wasnt worth the fuel mileage, or the little bit of added power.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 F250 CCSB FX4 Lariat
GlowShift Tinted gauges, Recon Clear Cab Lights, Diamond Eye Duals, SRL Files, 2.5" rize leveling kit, F350 Rear Blocks, PHP Tuned FICM, Retro Solution 6K HID's, DieselSite Coolant Filter...

2011 Oxford White SuperCrew EcoBoost FX2
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

[QUOTE=06-sixoh;1673407]Wait wait wait.. "by the way your truck is acting"? How is it acting?

I am pretty sure I have been having a Stiction issue. I have Rev-X on the way right now to help with that. but also what i have read about the problem is it can be cause by your oil being a bit dirty. and the egr system is known for making everything dirty to include your oil. so if i delete the EGR then everything stays cleaner and it might help fix the stiction issue.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 10:11 AM
professional slacker

[quote=cavscout075;1675141]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06-sixoh View Post
Wait wait wait.. "by the way your truck is acting"? How is it acting?

I am pretty sure I have been having a Stiction issue. I have Rev-X on the way right now to help with that. but also what i have read about the problem is it can be cause by your oil being a bit dirty. and the egr system is known for making everything dirty to include your oil. so if i delete the EGR then everything stays cleaner and it might help fix the stiction issue.
You should get an egr delete but that has nothing to Do with your stiction issue , too many miles in between oil changes is likely your issue.
You can still drive it on the stock tune with the egr deleted.....it will just throw a Cel as long as you leave the valve plugged in.......I have read that with some of the newer ford programs it messes with the engine fan if you totally remove the valve while running it stock.

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide App
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

well I have just shy of 3k on the oil I have in there now. I bought this truck used not to long ago and I think I am playing catch up on maintenance that the previous owner my have neglected. so dos the EGR not cause your oil to get dirty faster?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I am planning on getting an sct tuner along with my delete kit. I have found a number of them on ebay. now I asked the seller if it was vin locked he said yes but the tuner still have 5 unlocks available. dos this sound right?? I thought to unlock it it had to be sent to SCT do they come with a number of times you can unlock them before you have to send them in?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode