Banks 0 0%
AFE 3 30.00%
Volant 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods

Which Air Intake

Ok so I think I actually have a HOT air intake rather than a COLD air intake based on the fact that my IAT running down the free way is about 20+F over ambient and climbs as high as 50F at idle when OAT is in the 80's. I bought this kit, which is an AFE stage II, about 3 years back and when I didnt know anything about these trucks (not saying I do now either but do have some wrench time) and do not have my stock intake system anymore. When I installed the kit it actually did do some improvement IMO as I did see some increase in fuel mileage but when I took it off to install a RR fuel kit and reinstalled it, I must have not put something back together right or something because my truck just never really quite felt right after that. As in I have been running more boost than before and I think it is because my air intake is sucking way more HOT air than before so my air density is not as high. I know the stock intake is good for 500hp but I am looking to go beyond that in about a year so I dont really want to go buy a new air intake. I am definitely going to get a sealed one this time but the question is which one? I am leaning most towards S&B, especially with their dry replacement filters but like the claims that banks has on theirs and how they compare it to the competition (even though they havent tested the ford units.) So I am posing the question here to see what the experts have to say. I would appreciate your opinion and why you think the way you do. Not just "S&B" or "AFE". You know what I mean. Thanks

Nate
06 F350 4x4: Non-VGT 67mm Turbo, WPE Big Oil HPOP, HD 215/85s, Race Ported Intake, NB/Warren Tranny, and some other stuff.... 100k miles and counting....

06 F250 2wd: Stock... EGR delete, Race Ported Intake, and a mild street tune.... Leaking HGs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WINDRUNNER PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING (WPE)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 12:45 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Which Air Intake

Did you not put in Airaid for some reason? I originally had an AFE that uses the stock base. I had problems with it sealing, and found it was letting dirt in.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

No the AFE is the only one I've used so far.

Nate
06 F350 4x4: Non-VGT 67mm Turbo, WPE Big Oil HPOP, HD 215/85s, Race Ported Intake, NB/Warren Tranny, and some other stuff.... 100k miles and counting....

06 F250 2wd: Stock... EGR delete, Race Ported Intake, and a mild street tune.... Leaking HGs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 01:11 AM
PSN Local

Spaces bro!!! None of them!!! Until you are well over 500 RWHP, the stock one is perfect!!!

Until you are at the 500 HP you want just keep the stock one. Just my opinion.

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task, whatever it may be. One hundred percent and then some.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Ok sorry for all of the text. Will do on the spaces next time. I dont have a stock filter that I can put on and I dont want to buy another stock one since I plan on moding my truck next spring to be at about 530-550 Hp.

Nate

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 01:41 AM
PSN Local

Ok. My dad hit a moose a few months ago. His stock intake is still good. If he's willing to part with it il send it to you for free. All you gotta do is pay for shipping!!

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task, whatever it may be. One hundred percent and then some.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

Sounds good. What year truck is your dad's??

Nate

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 02:11 AM
PSN Local

2003. I left him a message.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate the offer but I dont think it will work on my truck since I have an 06. Hopefully someone will chime in and let us know. There are some differences between those intakes IIRC

Nate

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 02:55 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
I appreciate the offer but I dont think it will work on my truck since I have an 06. Hopefully someone will chime in and let us know. There are some differences between those intakes IIRC
Ok, il do some research also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode