EGR=Wastegate - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
TimmyaleX

EGR=Wastegate

A good friend of mine went to a FORD diesel seminar at a local dealership. The ford rep told him why his freshly studded and deleted 6.0 just blew the headgaskets. He said that the EGR system acts as a wastegate. He said since you deleted the system the motor experienced an over boost event that pressurized the motor and blew his headgaskets. thoughts?

Support Blue Collar Workers

-2008 F-350 XLCCLBSRWZF6
-Fast Idle Switch
-5" DP back
-Innovative livewire
-No Limit
-Newton Fat Boy Traction Bars
-Ebay Leveling Kit
-ICON adj. Trac BAr
-NITTO Terra Grapplers
-Flo Pro EGR delete
-South Bend 3250
-Spartan
-Lab Pit "Stella"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 02:12 AM
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods

Re: EGR=Wastegate

What would an "over boost" condition be defined as for a studded truck? How much boost can they take? I mean with guys out there running twin turbo kits and blowing more than 50psi of boost and ARE deleted and havent blown any head gaskets, I would submit to you that the ford dealer is trying to blow smoke up your butt. I guess I am trying to say that I wouldnt think a stock turbo could blow that much boost in. JMO.

Nate
06 F350 4x4: Non-VGT 67mm Turbo, WPE Big Oil HPOP, HD 215/85s, Race Ported Intake, NB/Warren Tranny, and some other stuff.... 100k miles and counting....

06 F250 2wd: Stock... EGR delete, Race Ported Intake, and a mild street tune.... Leaking HGs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WINDRUNNER PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING (WPE)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 02:28 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-tech-NH View Post
A good friend of mine went to a FORD diesel seminar at a local dealership. The ford rep told him why his freshly studded and deleted 6.0 just blew the headgaskets. He said that the EGR system acts as a wastegate. He said since you deleted the system the motor experienced an over boost event that pressurized the motor and blew his headgaskets. thoughts?
im guessin the ford rep responded without even physically looking at the truck in question....and just guessed that that's what caused the gaskets to blow. It could've been a number of things that made them blow, but seems like he just made an assumtion without nowing the facts of what really happened. For instense, did the rep check the heads and block for flatness? Did he see if the oil cooler was plugged? I'm guessin he didn't.

2004 F-350 SC 4x4 6L....little bit of this...little bit of that

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 03:02 AM
PSN Veteran

That there ford rep maybe needs too look back at that there work order and pull his head out of said ass. my god! The things ford reps say sometimes without even having a clue, the problem is that the 6.0l is a complex engine for the general public and ford knows that very few people understand them, thats why they bs about them all the time and make bull#### claims. They figure no one will call it.

2011 6.7 yet to be ####ed with.... Yet...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
TimmyaleX

I laughed when he told me this story. Then I shook my head. Just like I did when I heard they weren't going to send his heads to a machine shop while he was having all this work done. I thought that you didn't really need a wastegate on these trucks until you started spraying?

-2008 F-350 XLCCLBSRWZF6
-Fast Idle Switch
-5" DP back
-Innovative livewire
-No Limit
-Ebay Leveling Kit
-ICON adj. Trac BAr
-NITTO Terra Grapplers
-Flo Pro EGR delete
-South Bend 3250
-Spartan
-Lab Pit "Stella"

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 03:41 AM
i like to party

well the egr system takes some of the drive pressure away so with it beng in place it technically performs similar duties but its not at all a real waste gate.

Its so surprising that these people most rely on to fix their vehicles live under a rock
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
TimmyaleX

I also think the fundamentals of the business has changed. No longer are factory service reps retired wrenches. Most are kids with a degree and computer skills that don't know the mechanical / technical side of thier product.

-2008 F-350 XLCCLBSRWZF6
-Fast Idle Switch
-5" DP back
-Innovative livewire
-No Limit
-Ebay Leveling Kit
-ICON adj. Trac BAr
-NITTO Terra Grapplers
-Flo Pro EGR delete
-South Bend 3250
-Spartan
-Lab Pit "Stella"

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 03:00 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-tech-NH View Post
I also think the fundamentals of the business has changed. No longer are factory service reps retired wrenches. Most are kids with a degree and computer skills that don't know the mechanical / technical side of thier product.
Yea exactly, they have not the slightest clue as to what they are doing, they follow the instructions and just that, no extra what if's are taken care of anymore. If you have limited knowledge/experience you don't know what else needs to be addressed because the book they are reading doesn't have any "real time experience" schenarios because it was wrote when theses trucks were brand new.

2011 6.7 yet to be ####ed with.... Yet...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode