Intake Air Temp Questions - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods

Intake Air Temp Questions

I have two questions for you guys regarding the Intake Air Temp (IAT PID) on your CTS or other gauge if you have it.

1. Does it measure the temperature of the air in the intake before the turbo or does it measure it inside the intake manifold??

2. What are you guys seeing for temps and what type of intake system do you have i.e. AIRAID, AFE, AEM, Stock, Etc??

I ask because I have an AFE stage II intake and my IATs are about 20-24 degrees F higher than ambient while driving at normal operating temps and can get as high as over 30F than ambient when i slow down and come to an idle. This make me think that it is measured in the filter intake system and it also makes me think that I am getting A LOT of engine heat sucked into my intake. Because when the truck is cold and warming up IAT matches ambient and I think it could be what is causing me to have to run higher boost than I should while cruising down the high way.

Any thoughts???

Nate
06 F350 4x4: Non-VGT 67mm Turbo, WPE Big Oil HPOP, HD 215/85s, Race Ported Intake, NB/Warren Tranny, and some other stuff.... 100k miles and counting....

06 F250 2wd: Stock... EGR delete, Race Ported Intake, and a mild street tune.... Leaking HGs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WINDRUNNER PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING (WPE)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 02:52 PM
PursuitInterceptor

Re: Intake Air Temp Questions

1) I'm certain it takes the IAT1 temp from the MAF or a sensor in the intake. (Difference will be due to use of a MAF or a IAT sensor depending on year truck)

2) Running a OEM setup with Spearco my IAT1 temp will run OAT or 10* higher (when stationary). My IAT2 temp will stay steady at 10* higher over OAT when driving HWY or City.

I would need to hook up my ScanGauge again to verify my memory.

I modded my OEM snorkel to make the intake larger. It does suck in the under-hood heat while parked/stationary but goes away quickly over 15MPH.

You should be able to datalog with an SCT using IAT1/IAT2 so you can see what is going on with the temps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people my friend....those with loaded guns, and those who dig.

You dig.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods

Re: Intake Air Temp Questions

Ok I will try that out. Thanks man for the info.

Nate
06 F350 4x4: Non-VGT 67mm Turbo, WPE Big Oil HPOP, HD 215/85s, Race Ported Intake, NB/Warren Tranny, and some other stuff.... 100k miles and counting....

06 F250 2wd: Stock... EGR delete, Race Ported Intake, and a mild street tune.... Leaking HGs

WINDRUNNER PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING (WPE)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode