Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Tow/Haul for WOT with SRL+?

12K views 37 replies 18 participants last post by  scparrish 
#1 ·
Okay, so I was messing around today, and when going WOT, I swear the truck pulls harder in Tow/Haul mode. Not only is it completely spooled when I mash it, the transmission is already in the correct gear, and it just pulls and pulls, and pulls. No lag at all.

Also, IIRC, the torque converter is locked in all gears when in Tow/Haul mode, making it like X-Race, in a way? The shifting is also greatly improved while in Tow/Haul at WOT. Oh, and Tow/Haul had slightly cooler EGT's, just like it does when I'm towing (I've seen a 200° difference while towing in Tow/Haul versus no Tow/Haul)...

So, is this just me being stupid? Or am I onto something? I also tried it in stock tuning, and the truck pulled significantly harder.

Usually I don't have many good ideas, but when I'm onto something, it's usually good... :evil My last idea was that the Edge Insight did not read boost correctly, and after my thread, it is now widely known that the Edge Insight is inaccurate for reading boost numbers on most trucks.

#3 ·
i need to remember this when i am runnin down the track next time esp when im racin my dodge buddy haha!!

#4 ·
I thought the exact same thing

#6 ·
Oh, and it has an extra bonus!! LOL

It has the built in engine brake that will slow you down very quickly, and cool the EGT's when you let off the skinny pedal... So whether you're going down the track, or you're on the street and you see the Po-Po, it'll help you slow down!! LOL

#7 ·
Keeping this bumped up... I wanna hear from some of the pro's.

#8 ·
Ok so I'm having a stupid moment. THe title says SRL tune but yet you speak of the Tow/Haul tune?? So are you saying your loving Matt's Tow tuner over the Street Race Light??? If so this is very interesting as I've run his SRL tune for almost three years now and have never loaded the Tow tune.......hmmmmm

SRL tune will def talk to ya and that bitch will pull hard but egt's climb very very fast......So if your getting a good pull and power with lesser egt's on Tow I'd be willing to listen.

#9 ·
He's asking if its better to run the SRL in Tow/Haul mode or not in Tow/Haul mode.

I've found with Erics tunes it doesn't make a difference as far as track times go with it. I've run his Xtreme Race in Tow/Haul and out of Tow/Haul at the track. No difference whatsoever in times.

#12 ·
I thought the converter locks at 48 mph? Or maybe that's just stock tuning.

And as for the Insight reading boost incorrectly, I don't see why it would. I do know however that when tuned the only way to get an accurate boost reading is with a separate gauge that doesn't go off the PCM. Stock tuning the Insight should read it fine.

#17 ·
With SRL the boost will read lower than reality on the factory boost gauge or anything from the OBDII port.

The tow/haul shift points are higher at part throttle with the SRL file. If you like it better great. It's hard to please everyone and for everybody that says they like keeping the rpms up higher all the time I have someone complain that they don't want it downshifting as easily so they can lug the #### out of their truck.

#18 ·
I love how it doesn't lug the #### out of my truck personally. I have ran tunes that will keep the torque converter locked for so long that the truck just pours out smoke and I have to hit the tow haul button to unlock it. I love the SRL tune. Need to get it updated soon though..

#20 ·
as far as the converter locked at 40mph or 48 which ever it is with tow haul versus a race tune locking it in second most of our tuned trucks should be doing over forty by the time you are well into second, so it is kinda the same thing. But one question doesnt the trans use fourth gear in tow mode? so wonder if that is the reason it feels like it keeps pullin and pullin

#23 ·
There are some parameters that we aren't given access to buried deep in the code and that's what I did to get around a small issue on some trucks. It's just the way I did it and nobody else does more than likely. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just call the lower boost a new normal, what's the big deal?

#24 ·
With my SRL+ tune, my stock boost gauge with the converter locked shows 30+ psi. I dont really care what my boost gauge reads, its building boost, hauling ass with no time to look at alll my gauges anyway!

#26 ·
Matt's SRL tune definitely gave me a whole new appreciation for the skinny pedal!

Kris

#27 ·
Love the SRL too. Wish it did lug a little more than it does. Wish the tq lockup was more aggressive and the shifts even a little firmer. But i can and did adjust shift pressures. Like the easy pedal and power of the tune. I think my SRL boosts about like what the SRL+ does because my gauge reads 34-35 in od on heavy pedal. Glad because even with stock bolts I think my truck can handle it.

#28 ·
I'll need to give SRL a try eventually. I have Innovative Diesel tunes and had to work with Eric a lot on cleaning up the XStreet tune. It would really bog down and smoke on the highway when the TC locked and speed was around 50-55. If I gave it throttle it would black out the highway before unlocking and shifting down. Finally got away form the constant TC lock so now I just have to let off and it will unlock like the stock shifting then accelerating won't smoke as much.

#29 ·
Is it smart to turn up the shift pressures with the sct for more firmer shifts with normal driving or will it hurt the transmission?

#37 ·
I didnt realize bts makes one either. I wonder how much he charges for his?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.