Oil Cooler Delete Kit - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods

Oil Cooler Delete Kit

This is what I came up with as an alternative for the BPD kit. Now I am definitely not saying that the BPD kit is in any way junk or sub standard in any way and only time and towing will tell how my kit holds up. I was however able to make this kit for about $300 less than the BPD kit but at the expense of extra time fabricating and figuring. There were two reasons I went this route. One I didn't like how much the BPD kit cost and two I really wanted to have a bypass filter in addition to my full flow one. (I know that the BPD has one but I just liked how the Amsoil had it built in with the full flow one.) I actually used an oil filter relocation kit for a 7.3L (that is what Amsoil had it for) so I used the full flow filter recommended for that motor (it is an Eao26 filter and is roughly the same size as the 6.0 cartridge filter if not bigger) and I used an EaBP110 bypass filter. This is actually a revision of my original kit. Originally I had used a B&M transmission cooler instead of the fluidyne one I have now. It was about the same size but half as thick and ony had 1/2in lines feeding in. The Fluidyne one (which is the same brand of cooler as the BPD cooler) has 12AN (3/4in) ports on it and is massive. I also added a thermostat to the mix as it would take forever for my oil to heat up. The thermostat is a Canton racing thermostat that is all aluminum construction with stainless steel bolts, has 12an ports, and opens at 215F. All of the brackets are aluminum with stainless steel hardware (except the one that holds the filters which is steel because the aluminum flexes too much). I also used aluminum an fittings on the push lock hose. Now of course I did use the BPD oil manifold block. It is made of aluminum and is a piece of work. It is expensive but is the best way to delete the oil cooler in my opinion and has 12an ports as well. All of the lines are 12an. I tried to stick with aluminum and stainless steel to keep everything from rusting as what happened on my first kit and is what I would assume would happend with the BPD kit unless you painted everything. Like I said up top, I am not in anyway knocking the BPD kit as I think it is a very high quality kit. It just wasnt for me and I thought I could make something that better suited my needs and wanted to share my ideas with other DIYers/Fabricators out there. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0597.JPG (556.2 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0565.JPG (765.9 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0602.JPG (575.4 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0598.JPG (693.5 KB, 223 views)

Nate
06 F350 4x4: Non-VGT 67mm Turbo, WPE Big Oil HPOP, HD 215/85s, Race Ported Intake, NB/Warren Tranny, and some other stuff.... 100k miles and counting....

06 F250 2wd: Stock... EGR delete, Race Ported Intake, and a mild street tune.... Leaking HGs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WINDRUNNER PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING (WPE)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 01:27 AM
NSTY 6OH

Re: Oil Cooler Delete Kit

nice work. looks great

2006 FORD F-250 FX4 6.O REGULAR CAB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Built motor/studded/fuel system/tons of bolt ons/exterior mods/lots of gauges/bottle fed/etc

Tuned by Matt Robinson of Gearhead Automotive Performance
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks man.

Nate
06 F350 4x4: Non-VGT 67mm Turbo, WPE Big Oil HPOP, HD 215/85s, Race Ported Intake, NB/Warren Tranny, and some other stuff.... 100k miles and counting....

06 F250 2wd: Stock... EGR delete, Race Ported Intake, and a mild street tune.... Leaking HGs

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 01:45 AM
'05 Excursion

Looks great?? Are you kidding me?? It looks FANTASTIC!!!!

SCT, no studs...yet, Dual OEM intake air filter housings, Banks intercooler & intake elbow, Banks exhaust syatem, Windrunner ported intake manifold, Bullet Proof Diesel remote oil cooler & thermostat, AirDog2 (plus a couple spares), Power steering filter (Amsoil dual-bypass), MagTec deep ATF pan, Electric oil pre-lub pump, Dakota Digital gauges.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 01:50 AM
Stroke it B!tch

Wow dam good job haha maybe you could start making some for us

78 F-150 300 straight 6, 3 on the tree
03 F-250 6.0 Play toy
06 F-250 6.0 (general nightmare) 2.5 pulling truck
12 F-350 6.7 Tow rig

Gotta pay to play son!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-250-Owner View Post
I know you said you wouldnt turn it up..... but come on.... its like saying "I promise I will only stick the tip in" never happens like that
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 01:58 AM
PSN Local

The oil cooler you used looks to be bigger than the one used by BPD? And I like your mounting position better.
With the thermostat opening at 215 what oil temps are you seeing when towing?

2006 F-450 XLT 4x4 6.0 Auto 4.30L
Kelderman 4-Link Airbags, Lariat Seats, 2011 Mirrors
CTS, SCT, ARP's & oem Gaskets, BPD 6ph FICM
Spearco IC, Ported Intake, Powermax, 4" Exhaust
BPD Oil Cooler, Oil By-Pass Filter
46,000 miles
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
With the thermostat opening at 215 what oil temps are you seeing when towing?
Well as I havent had the kit on long at all yet, what I have seen from initial cruising at hwy speeds at say 70 mph or so is oil temps get up to 205-210F with ambient temp of 75F. Now keep in mind that this is still below the opening set point of the thermostat (215F) but it is with the thermostat sending just a portion (i.e. 10%) of the flow to the cooler to keep it warm while the oil heats up. According to fluidyne this cooler can remove 30000btu/hr with just 5mph of wind and it goes up to like 90000btu/hr when air speed gets like 40mph or so. My B&M cooler I had on before was only rated to like 28500Btu/hr, had a fan on it, was mounted on the frame rail, and in 85-90F heat would get the oil temp up in the 220s towing a 10-12K load. I presume that oil temps will probably be in the 220F neighborhood +/-5F. The basis for the oil thermostat opening at 215F is to get the oil hot enough to vaporize moisture from condensation in the oil. You dont get that very much when oil temps are in the 180-200F range IMO. Time will tell how well it works with towing. I dont tow very regularly but would love to test it out. Hope this helps.

Nate

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Arctic Fox;1665667]The oil cooler you used looks to be bigger than the one used by BPD? And I like your mounting position better.[QUOTE]

I thought it was bigger as well. I couldnt ever figure out what size theirs was so I decided to go bigger just to be safe.

I mounted it with about an inch and a half away from the condenser to minimize heat transfer from the oil cooler to the condenser and the oil cooler definitely flows air through it very well. The air flow also helps cool the thermostat.

Nate

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 11:08 PM
It wasn't me

That was a lot of work and engineering. Nice work! How does your A/C function with the added heat load on the condensor?

Newman
A few Fords
Special Thanks to:

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

Ok well so far after three days and over 130 miles, so far everything seems to be working good. I dont have a trailer to tow but with temps today at about 80F and speeds in excess of 80 mph (mostly between 70 and 80 for over a ten mile stretch) oil temps still have never exceeded 209F and for the most part flucuate between 203F and 208F. A/C seems to be keeping my cab cool just fine. (I know its not the sweltering heat we were having this summer but I still have to use the A/C.

Nate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode