Electric fan? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Media Mushroom Stamp

Electric fan?

I'm looking at swapping off the old fan and clutch, and replacing this with an electric unit. I picked up 2 MPG when I did this on my 87 K5. Has anyone done this with a 6.0? Experiences?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 01:44 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Electric fan?

Yeah, i've been running flex-a-lite electric fans on my truck for over a year so far and they been awesome. Here's some pics. Opened up tons of room. I really hardly doubt you're gonna see any milage increase with them. I just did it to free up some more room.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 143.JPG (891.3 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg 144.JPG (927.1 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 158.JPG (916.0 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 159.JPG (963.1 KB, 89 views)

2004 F-350 SC 4x4 6L....little bit of this...little bit of that
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 02:46 AM
Maroon truck guy

got the 7.3 kit. It doesnt bolt right up but its pretty simple fix. Wouldnt really recommended it if your towing alot.

06 F-250 project "Overbudget" in progress. Big Thanks to Innovative Diesel, GOGO Diesel and Gearhead Automotive Performance.

05 F-250 SCT ARPs, Track Bars FASS (For sale)

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 02:53 AM
PSN Veteran

my kit is the 7.3 one also. Just had to modify the inline trans filter bracket and modify the mounting brackets was all. I know of some guys running them and tow tons with them with no issues.

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 03:37 AM
PSN Veteran

Do you tow? I know the factory fan moves alot of air when engaged. As far a a mileage gain I really doubt it . I've only heard my fan engage a handfull of times.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 02:26 PM
Administrator

they did a write up on Electric fans a while ago ( like the two in this thread) for a 7.3 and they stated it was for towing ?? I would be a little nervous to try it myself specially heavy tow up a steep grade

and it also seems like a stock alternator is already taxed on these trucks/

EDIT however looking at the flex lite site it doesn't have that "towing" disclaimer for the 7.3 but they don't make a kit for the 6.0 for a reason I guess?

98-03 Ford Super Duty Diesel Electric Fan

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 03:06 PM
PSN Veteran

If you tow alot...i'd just leave the stocker on. But you can control when the fans come on and manually turn them on or turn them off. Shawn towed Tylers truck to the diesel power challange a few years back from alberta canada to colorado and had no issues towing it(around 12-14K lbs i believe) in the high heat. I'm not sure how the terrain is from alberta to colorado, but i'm sure it's not that flat.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 02:14 AM
PSN Local

i checked on the fans for the 6.0 before they said there wasnt a way to remove the stock fan assembly

05 cc sb 2 inch lift with 315/70r17 hankook dynapro a/t, zoodad, auto meter phantom2 boost and fuel press., banjo bolt mod, afe 3.5" dp into 4" no cat, accufab racing intake elbow, edge evolution, garrett powermax, egr delete, sct w/ innovative tunes, with a peterbilt emblem on the grill!!!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 02:32 AM
PSN Veteran

well that's obviously wrong cause myself and alot of others have removed the stock fan assembly, as you can see by the pics i've posted...not that hard.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 09:35 PM
PSN Local

yeah thats what i couldnt figure out because i asked after i saw pics of it removed. dont know what there problem is, lazy!?

05 cc sb 2 inch lift with 315/70r17 hankook dynapro a/t, zoodad, auto meter phantom2 boost and fuel press., banjo bolt mod, afe 3.5" dp into 4" no cat, accufab racing intake elbow, edge evolution, garrett powermax, egr delete, sct w/ innovative tunes, with a peterbilt emblem on the grill!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode