S474 or smaller - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

S474 or smaller

I have industrials twin kit with an S474 as the big turbo. It seems like it is a little slow to light. It really won't light until about 2200 rpm and with my tire size and gearing, that speed is about 80 mph. I am running elites 185s. Would it be benificial to downsize turbos to say an S471. Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 03:59 PM
Subject Matter Expert

Re: S474 or smaller

What is the specs on the small turbo? The big turbo will only be driven as hard as the small one is pushing it. Chances are you need to drop down in size on the secondary (smaller) turbo to get quicker spoolup across the board to drive the atmosphere (big) turbo quicker

Stock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 04:47 PM
i like to party

Powerstrokejunkie is right

Not sure if you have Industrials tow or race compounds but seeing you have the s474 ill assume you have the towing setup, which secondary do you have the 62/70 or the 62/80?

If you have the 62/80 the spoolup will be a good deal slower than the tigher .70 housing put a bd diverter valve to help spoolup of the 62/80..

The primary will only light if the secondary is lit...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I do have the 62/70 and it lights well enough. For example, cruising down the road at say 70 mph and 2k rpm with little load, I will build about 7 or 8 psi and be smokey at near or over a 1000 degrees. Now pick up the rpm another couple hundred, you can hear the big turbo light, and clear the smoke and still only be building 7 or 8 psi with close to a 800 degree temp. Hope that helps. Thanks for the input
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 11:33 AM
Subject Matter Expert

Id say you have a exhaust or boost leak somewhere.

Stock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 12:49 PM
PSN Veteran

I was thinkin the same thing. Those II twin kits have been known to have leaks. I've heard it mentioned already from guys who have had them. Leaks from the poor weld job and nothing lining up the way it should.

2004 F-350 SC 4x4 6L....little bit of this...little bit of that
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I am one of the people that has been talking about the leaks. I have fixed multiple leaks, exhaust and oil drains. I do not have any oil or exhaust leaks now or boost for that matter. I do have 185 injectors though. I will attempt to change some tuning and see what happens. It was way different when I had the tow tune in it. Of course since then, I have had the turbos off about five times. I will figure it out. Thanks for the feedback.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 01:58 PM
Subject Matter Expert

Industrial injection ftw

Stock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode