Trans Mods for 600hp? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Trans Mods for 600hp?

Ok, I have never dynoed my junk, but I hope to be somewhere upwards of 500hp. I had my trans "built" locally. The guy is known for building preformance tans and built my buddy's allison who was running twins and ran it all the time at the track (never had any trouble). Well after him tearing into mine, it left me on the side of the road today. Now I DD my truck. I dont tow heavy (8k# max) and its never been to the track or ridden hard. Just the occassional "I need to be reminded what I'm driving" thing. This trans has been together less than 6 months and 10k miles. Is this normal? I havent really looked at it or done any troubleshooting as I was so disgusted. I will probably change filter and fluid tomorrow and see if that does anything. Thoughts???

2004 crew cab 4x4. 180cc RCD injectors, II 62/80 Turbo, FASS 150, S&B intake, 4" turbo back, EGR delete, ARP studs, Innovative tuning, Precision Industries Torque Converter, Transgo Shift Kit, Billet Trans input, Edge insight,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 04:34 AM

Re: Trans Mods for 600hp?

It wouldnt hurt to look around see whats whats smell the fluid see if it smells burnt, see if there are any codes. What happen did it make a noise, shift weird, not go into gear, what did it do before it left you on the side of the road ? Then take it back to him and see what he says, did it have any kind of warrenty ? See if he cant figure out what went wrong. Then go from there. There is a guy that always has a answer or a direction to point someone in for there trans. He was high up when it came to ford trans so he knows his stuff. Hopefully he will chime in, if not post it in the trans section or ask for this to be moved there.

04 H-D Edition, Intake/exhaust/SCT
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 04:39 AM
i like to party

Even fresh Mercon SP or LV smells burnt before its even put into the trans, so its kind of hard to tell. What fluids are you using in your transmission?

Also, whats really the issue, does it go into all gears we need some more info here.

Better off just send it to Doug at GoGo Diesel or Twisted diesel and have them fix it, Those are the only two I would trust

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Actually I first noticed when I left to head to work that the linkage felt "different" when shifting into drive. But being being half asleep and running late I really didnt think about it. Then heading home I was dirving down the road about 55-60 and it just started half-a$$ pulling. It wasn't free revving, but wasnt completely pulling like it was. and it just got worse. I pulled over. The temp was fine. But I let the truck set about 15 min then started it and it did ok. Then in about a mile it did the same thing. Again, the trans temp never got hot or anything out of the ordinary. But it seems like the linkage is not dropping into drive like it should. Now reverse works fine... so ...idk. Im no trans guy at all.

2004 crew cab 4x4. 180cc RCD injectors, II 62/80 Turbo, FASS 150, S&B intake, 4" turbo back, EGR delete, ARP studs, Innovative tuning, Precision Industries Torque Converter, Transgo Shift Kit, Billet Trans input, Edge insight,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

As for my fluids to be honest I dont know. I have not changed the filter or fluids since the build (got truck back in May) Should I try that first?

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 04:14 PM
PSN Local

my 07 just did the same thing 2 days ago .. let me know whats wrong with it when u get it fixed
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

ok. went and checked fluid color and level. THey both look fine. Got in the truck and it'll shift into reverse, but shifter will not go down even into neutral, unless you back the truck up a little then try shifting down into N,D,1,2

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Moved this thread to trans section but had no interest so I moved it back to the 6.0 performance section bc I was getting the most help here.

No one seen this before?

I talked with a guy I work with who rebuilds transmissions on the side and he said it sounds like something wasn't lined up in the valvebody. I honestly have NO idea.

I will be calling the mechanic who built it tomorrow to get his input.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Mark Kawolski
hangs out in the transmission section

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 11:42 PM
PSN Veteran

My dually has a honest 600hp that I've used since spring towing 10k plus most of the time. Stock trans. Eric (innovativediesel) tunes the truck and it finally crapped to bed this weekend. A built trans should last at 600 for at least a year you would think

2006 F-350 crew cab dually 4X4
225cc injectors, CRD twin turbo's
Fueled by Gibson's

2003 F-350 crew cab
[email protected]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode